TV: Is Quality Big Four TV Programming Dead?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
There are some good ones here and there but networks are having trouble, they seem to have got into the reality tv production and totally forgot at times how to produce a real tv show.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There are some good ones here and there but networks are having trouble, they seem to have got into the reality tv production and totally forgot at times how to produce a real tv show.

Reality TV is slowly dying, too, so we're not far from sports being the only guaranteed ratings for network TV.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
TV in general will shift more toward the film/book model, where 95% of can realistically strain a modest profit while companies search for a mega hit to drive ratings and money. Like Game of Thrones or Stranger Things.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Comparing network dramas to cable drama shows is like comparing SYFY movies to Hollywood movies. They're complete trash that I can't believe people watch seriously. I see some ads for some of them and the premise that they're based on is just so head shakingly bad or cheesy it actually makes me angry.

I do watch Brooklyn 99 and Last Man on Earth though.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Modern Family got kinda wack once the kids started growing up. Probably 4-5 seasons in. Also, from the beginning it was a show that I liked to watch, but never loved.

That's the biggest problem with family sitcoms...kids grow up and the entire dynamic of the show is going to inevitably change because of it.

There's still enough talent involved with the show that it's still decent, but it's not even close to its prime.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
That's the biggest problem with family sitcoms...kids grow up and the entire dynamic of the show is going to inevitably change because of it.

There's still enough talent involved with the show that it's still decent, but it's not even close to its prime.

Once they got big, they lost a bunch of their writers, as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad