TV: Is Quality Big Four TV Programming Dead?

Ben Grimm

Blue collar cool 🛒
McaqAEX_2.jpg

Is Quality Big Four Programming Dead? (The Big Four are ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC). I think so. There are several different reasons for it. There are less fictional shows on big network tv and more news, reality shows, and sports. The dramas have become very formulaic and there are so many shows about cops (many involve forensics, yawn), firemen, and hospitals. The sitcoms are just plain bad.

The alternative platforms have become a safe haven for good tv and with the ratings of HBO's GoT they're not necessarily a smaller platform. The smaller channels from USA on down are showing quality programming such as Mr Robot (I realize many of the smaller channels are owned by the big boys), Netflix and other internet platforms have many good shows, and the pay cable channels such as HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax are more popular than ever.

If you're digging the Big Four, cool and more power to you. This is just the opinion of one man who's given up and only turns the Big Four on for sports. Have a groovy Friday. :yo:

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I would think so. I honestly can't think of a show I watch on them anymore. Occasionally one of the animated series on FOX but they're nothing special anymore, I like The Last Man on Earth but I missed a couple episodes and now have no idea what's going on.

Late night TV is a shell of it's former self. I get people retire but the replacements haven't been worthy enough. I like Jimmy Fallon more than Jay Leno though. Even Comedy Central blew it on the replacement for Jon Stewart. Trevor Noah seems like a nice guy and all but he doesn't have that zing to him, and they missed the boat on getting John Oliver in there. Letterman needed a better replacement host, Colbert is too nice. To follow Letterman I would have liked to see someone equally witty and able to call people out like maybe Norm MacDonald.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Many of the acclaimed comedies are still on network

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Like 95+% of my tv shows come from cable (HBO, Starz, FX, AMC, Showtime, Cinemax etc, as well as Netflix). Network tv programming is almost entirely garbage these days.

There's honestly something about the "feel" of a network show that immediately puts me off. The acting and dialogue often feel campy, all of the shows are either about doctors and police, or some kind of run-and-gun action show about stopping terrorists. Very uninspired.

I also hate the procedural format that many of the shows use.

Also: The CW is just as bad as the 4 networks, could probably include it here too.

Last edited:

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
The network shows are so over produced. They all comes off fake and/or forced. Everything is so predictable

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Making 22 episodes a year is the biggest issue. It's too difficult to make consistent, quality programming when you're rushing the writing and production.

I know it's less profitable for them, but the networks really need to make shorter seasons if they want to compete on quality {which they probably aren't too concerned about doing if it makes them less money).

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
Only network shows I watch anymore are the DC stuff on The CW - which are all 100%, absolute, pure cheese and objectively terrible, but I can't stop watching - and Agents of SHIELD on ABC. I did watch the first season of The Blacklist, but only on Netflix and I haven't gotten around to watching the rest. I can't tell you the last time I watched something on CBS, since it's apparently the all-CSI and all-NCIS channel now.

Otherwise I'm watching Netflix shows (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Like Cage, etc.) and HBO (Silicon Valley, Game of Thrones and, now, Westworld).

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I can't tell you the last time I watched something on CBS, since it's apparently the all-CSI and all-NCIS channel now.

A while, I'm guessing, since all of the CSI shows have been cancelled :D

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
I think they spend too much time and money throwing **** at the wall. Then a show that seems appealing comes on....and it only lasts a season or two because "not enough" people watch it live with the outdated Neilsen ratings crap. Or it's too expensive to keep making regularly, especially when considering said ratings. But they'll sink hundreds of millions of dollars into failed pilots.

I don't bother with network TV anymore now that Person of Interest is gone. I'm not going to get hooked on a show for it to be gone right away.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
How is now any different then always?

Cops, doctors, lawyers have been a TV staple since the fifties. Toss in the family sitcom, a romcom or two, variety show, etc, it's all the same formulatic, by-the-numbers background noise.

I only watch the NFL, and that's a very small bit, because I feel that is overproduced and full of ads, but TV has been what it is to me, the only difference is that things like YT and Netflix have made me unable to tolerate as many ad breaks.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Brooklyn 99 is awesome.

Modern Family is brilliant virtually every week in the way Frasier was... But with a much larger cast.

I can't think of a lot more shows on Network TV I think are great. Still laugh at The Simpsons. I like the new Designated Survivor show.

I do still watch SVU and Chicago PD. But they are cookie cutter shows. Just time killers. I watch Big Bang Theory even though it really isn't a good show. Filler.

There are not a lot of top 4 network shows I must watch. That captivate me.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Network TV is cheesy at best. Nothing edgy or racy anymore. Nothing out there excites me. I have been watching designated survivor. It's ok. The writing is meh. I don't feel the drama or tension.

a few sitcoms I will watch if I have time. I used to really like 2 broke girls. I am not sure if that's even on anymore.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I think people just take TV too serious. There are plently of decent shows still on the big 4. Shut your mind off..

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
There are quality shows on the networks and many talented actors as well. American Crime is one gem that is overlooked and matches up with most of the quality shows we see on cable. It has won and been nominated for emmys including just last month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad