Is Philly a Sixers or Flyers Town?

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Regarding sports talk radio, I think it just boils down to the fact that it's much easier to talk about basketball than hockey to the casual fan. The basics of the sport are simpler and easier to follow. Hockey is also the most team oriented of the major 4 sports, so discussing/blaming the super star doesn't really work like it does in other sports.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Regarding sports talk radio, I think it just boils down to the fact that it's much easier to talk about basketball than hockey to the casual fan. The basics of the sport are simpler and easier to follow. Hockey is also the most team oriented of the major 4 sports, so discussing/blaming the super star doesn't really work like it does in other sports.
I'd argue the superstar issue is the fault of the NHL. It markets a boring, vanilla guy like Crosby and severely lags behind the other leagues ability to promote its stars as well. To say that hockey is completely team oriented is facetious as well. The stars hold sway in this league just like any other. They play less yes but they still more often than not affect the games in dominant ways. The lack of star promotion is an underrated shortcoming of the NHL.
As for the basics being easier to follow, thats a lie too because football is exceedingly more complex than hockey.
This isnt to say im ignoring things like cost and climate but these are the same holier than thou bull**** hockey fans spew constantly to justify its sports niche status

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
after the Eagles, which gets talked about way too much in the city...its who ever has the next big upcoming thing really..which is why the Sixers are hot right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad