Is Phil Kessel's whole career underrated?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
keeisis would NEVER win a cup without crosby, can you say the same inverse order? didn't think so.
Yeah, I think Kessel was huge in Pittsburgh's last two cups. Very likely they don't win in either year without that third scoring threat.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I feel like this is a disingenuous argument.

What elite winger has ever won the cup without at least a legit first line pivot?

I honestly can't think of any in the last 25 years.

ooh, so close

(but i don't think the threshold he gave was that kessel had to be the only first line-calibre forward on his team, unless you think any legit first line center is automatically as good as or better than kessel?

pat kane was the clear best forward on at least two cup winning teams. martin st louis and patrik elias are two others, though yes cup-winning winger-led offenses are rare.)

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
always been a superstar offensive winger, of course you get more love if you win, and its easier to win when you got the 1st and 2nd best centers of last 10 years on your team

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The fact that there's a daily Phil Kessel thread talking about how amazing he is makes me think that he's getting great recognition now

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
He's a good scoring winger, he's not someone that you want to roll out there in any situation.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He's a superb complementary player.

But you can't ask him to carry/lead a team.

Again I gotta ask, what winger has ever lead his team to a Stanley cup?

Every team I can think of since '90 on up has had a good- great #1 pivot, many of those teams had two.

ooh, so close

(but i don't think the threshold he gave was that kessel had to be the only first line-calibre forward on his team, unless you think any legit first line center is automatically as good as or better than kessel?

pat kane was the clear best forward on at least two cup winning teams. martin st louis and patrik elias are two others, though yes cup-winning winger-led offenses are rare.)

Kane had Toews, St. Louis had Lecavalier. Kessel had a third line pivot in Toronto at best...

Kane most certainly isn't a guy that will do the dirty work for his team like Toews.

No elite winger has won a SC without the luxury of a very good to great pivot in over 30 years.

So I'm not sure why Kessel is held to an impossible standard other great wingers can't pull off either.

Last edited:
Reactions: authentic

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Nah. I think he's rated fairly. He's got to be the best example of a secondary player. You're never going to win if he's your best forward, but if he's your second (or third in Pittsburgh's case), then he's in his ideal role.

except he was literally pittsburgh's best forward for the majority of the two stanley cups and has been the best forward on the pens this year no question. so putting this nicely, what an awful post

crosby deserved to win both conn smythes. without crosby the pens don't win.
they dont win it without kessel either wtf. its hockey. each team has a lot of players.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
He's the second best playoff winger of the last decade and is consistently productive throughout the regular season. I'm not going to get into the Conne Smythe debate but the best team the Pens faced in the 16 playoffs was the Caps and Kessel is the reason they buried them.

Calling him a complimentary player because he can't win a cup by himself is a joke. Even when he was the only impact player on those Leafs teams he still performed like an all time great in the (short) playoffs he dragged that team to. If he's a complimentary player then so is every other winger in the league.

Put him on any team in this league and his is automatically a primary, core guy.

Reactions: Menzinger

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
The guy’s a workhorse in spite of everything that has said about his conditioning and play style.

The guy only missed 11 games for being diagnosed with testicular cancer and operated upon.

HHOF for sure with a couple of more seasons.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He has been overrated in his time in Pitt , The Conn Smythe nonsense and all. Its a shame cause i like Phil.

He led the team in scoring and had more icetime than Malkin during that playoff run.

I think his name certainly deserved to be in the debate for that award

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
He looks like such a goober that people don't realize how good he is.

It's also not his fault Toronto asked him to be a franchise player when that's incredibly difficult for a winger to do. Not even Ovechkin- one of the best LW'ers of all time- has been able to make that work.

On a side note I learned recently that the Hot Dog column from the Toronto media was in fact complete bunk. Kessel didn't live or work anywhere near the reputed hot dog stand.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He looks like such a goober that people don't realize how good he is.

It's also not his fault Toronto asked him to be a franchise player when that's incredibly difficult for a winger to do. Not even Ovechkin- one of the best LW'ers of all time- has been able to make that work.

On a side note I learned recently that the Hot Dog column from the Toronto media was in fact complete bunk. Kessel didn't live or work anywhere near the reputed hot dog stand.

AO at least had Backstrom, a legit #1 center, almost his entire career, to help.

In Tor Kessel didn't even have a legit #2 caliber pivot.

If we put Patrick Kane on those Toronto teams in Kessel's place, I'm 100% sure the results would have been similar.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Definitely got a bad rap while in Toronto, all while being by far the best player in a dumpster fire of an organization for the duration of his time here.

Which was in no way a fault of his. Bad management, bad decisions and local media choosing him as the fall guy. Clowns like Simmons and Feschuk kept butting heads with him; I hope they enjoyed that second helping of crow this past June

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Definitely got a bad rap while in Toronto, all while being by far the best player in a dumpster fire of an organization for the duration of his time here.

Which was in no way a fault of his. Bad management, bad decisions and local media choosing him as the fall guy. Clowns like Simmons and Feschuk kept butting heads with him; I hope they enjoyed that second helping of crow this past June
I remember Simmons keeping on bashing him AFTER he won a cup with the Pens (where he almost won the Conn Smythe), talk about keeping an agenda! :rolleyes:

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Now he's appreciated. If you had written this post when he was with the Leafs, I'd say yes. He was on some Toronto teams that were shit shows overall. Now, however, in a defined role, and playing with Carl Hagelin, his game truly shows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad