Is Phil Kessel's whole career underrated?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
he's a hanger on. neither crosby nor malkin want or like playing with him. his style of play has an extremely narrow sphere. good for him to win and i'm sure he's a nice guy. most teams have no use for him.
The f*** is this lol? Pretty sure Malkin enjoyed playing with Phil plenty last year as he had a great year and they won a 3rd Cup playing together.

Kessel has 66 pts in 71 playoff games, yet most teams have no use for him? What a foolish thing to say.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The **** is this lol? Pretty sure Malkin enjoyed playing with Phil plenty last year as he had a great year and they won a 3rd Cup playing together.

Kessel has 66 pts in 71 playoff games, yet most teams have no use for him? What a foolish thing to say.

Kessel got under rated by the leaf fans and media as well as the league. All because of the picks, which have nothing to do with him as a player. My favourite part is.
After all the laughing by others and crying by leaf fans.

Phil Kessel has the exact same amount of playoff points as the 2010 top 5 COMBINED.

He has more playoff points and cups than the top 10 of 2011 combined.

A combination of being on the leafs and dumb fans who thought that the leafs were giving up generational players and they would watch tanking teams like the oilers, islanders and panthers rise to glory led people to hate a top 3 scorer in the NHL

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
The **** is this lol? Pretty sure Malkin enjoyed playing with Phil plenty last year as he had a great year and they won a 3rd Cup playing together.

what years did they win these cups? i know of 2 of them.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ya, just another poster out to lunch... no clue what he/she is rambling about.

Malkin and Kessel have been playing together this season again, and Kessel is the one who feeds Malkin and Crosby constantly for goals.

Kessel essentially creates almost all of his offense on his own, and he's the first player in the Crosby/Malkin era to be their setup man.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
He's underrated in that he plays a very cerebral offensive game. His snipes are only part of the deal. Great all-around playmaker. The PP is better when he has the puck.

Reactions: saffronleaf

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Kessel unfortunately had the bad luck of playing for a terrible team for a lot of his prime years (like a guy like Nash), that really tarnished a lot of folks view of him.

If he had been traded to the Pens at say 23-26 years of age he could have had a monster of a season.

Yup. Plus the "trade". It's not Kessel's fault what people trade for him or not.

He's got back-to-back Cups now and he was robbed of a Conn Smythe. Imagine how many Cups they would have won if Kessel went to the Penguins earlier on.

He's one of the best American goal scorers of all time.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
keeisis would NEVER win a cup without crosby, can you say the same inverse order? didn't think so.

1. Hockey is a team game. Crosby wouldn't have been able to do it by himself. Malkin won the Conn Smythe in the year they won first.
2. Since Kessel arrived, Kessel is the only one who actually deserved a Conn Smythe. The league should be embarrassed for robbing Kessel of the Conn Smythe. The next year it was pretty contested too.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
I think he's underrated in that he'll most likely make the HOF, and you would never know it by reading posts around here the last 5 years.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
1. Hockey is a team game. Crosby wouldn't have been able to do it by himself. Malkin won the Conn Smythe in the year they won first.
2. Since Kessel arrived, Kessel is the only one who actually deserved a Conn Smythe. The league should be embarrassed for robbing Kessel of the Conn Smythe. The next year it was pretty contested too.

This is just not true. Last playoffs Crosby was deserving of his and the year before he had a far better all around impact than Kessel and was better in the finals.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
He's been $hi7 on a lot, that's for sure. It was nice when after being drafted last for the all-star game, he was then drafted first. I'm mostly indifferent to the guy, but it was cool to see him perform so well when the Penguins won the Cup in 2016. Not really sure whether he's underrated though. I think most people who know hockey understand how good he is. Maybe except for the braintrust of USA hockey. That's the first time I learned the term "throwin' some shade".

Reactions: aemoreira1981

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
he's a hanger on. neither crosby nor malkin want or like playing with him. his style of play has an extremely narrow sphere. good for him to win and i'm sure he's a nice guy. most teams have no use for him.

I'm pretty sure they appreciate the help he brings to their winning ways, especially during the last two Cup runs.

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
He has been overrated in his time in Pitt , The Conn Smythe nonsense and all. Its a shame cause i like Phil.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

crosby deserved to win both conn smythes. without crosby the pens don't win.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
He was underrated in to and might be slightly underrated amongst hardcore hockey fans now. A team won't have success if he's your best forward. But he's a phenomenal player to have as the second or third best forward. He's below league average defensively, but because most teams have a forward group that is mostly solid defensively this can be overcome. I think this leads a lot of analysts and fans to underappreciate him. He scores consistently against top competition if needed regardless of line mates. Very few players can do that and any team can use that.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
the style of game keissle plays draws the casual fan. they can have him.

keeisis would NEVER win a cup without crosby, can you say the same inverse order? didn't think so.

oh now i get it. you saying malkin and kewifnd playing together and winning their 3rd cup together really meant crosby and malkin winning their 3rd cup together. :help:

Strike 3 of 3, you’re out.

How are these spellings even possible??

Reactions: DearDiary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad