Is Phil Kessel's whole career underrated?

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Yeah, I think Kessel was huge in Pittsburgh's last two cups. Very likely they don't win in either year without that third scoring threat.
Definitely not the first one with Phil anyway, where he was the clearcut real Conn Smythe winner. Crosby and Malkin were going to choke again, you could see it plain as day. Winning that Cup took a lot of pressure off of them, so I don't think the choke reflex was nearly as strong the next year.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think Kessel was underrated because Burke made a bad trade to get him. Kessel is good but not as good as Seguin + Hamilton.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I think Kessel was underrated because Burke made a bad trade to get him. Kessel is good but not as good as Seguin + Hamilton.

He was underrated because he wasn’t given proper credit for what he was able to accomplish with little help. Non-Leafs fans use to rip on him and bash him relentlessly, and used the articles written by Simmons and Feschuk (Or Ron Wilson quotes) as some sort of proof he was as terrible as they all claimed. Narrative changed real quick after the trade though.

But even now there are dopes who don’t know any better claiming he was asked to be the leader (That was Phaneuf), that Toronto media hated him (a few writers), that the fans hated him (he was loved) and that he hated Toronto (he loved Toronto).

He was underrated and disrespected by some people who themselves aren’t liked by Leafs fans, and likely by a lot of the same posters who now sing his praise, at least now he’s being appreciated by people outside Toronto.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
This thread is hot dog approved.

6b6e7bf0992f9f5811b5e4f4fbad7794
Still love this. A giant f*** you to that trash writer Simmons.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
There were plenty of Leafs fans who bagged on Kessel but they were the sorts of people who would read the headlines being written about him by the washout media in Toronto and believe it. Every market has those types of fans (and unfortunately those types of "journalists").

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Many fans loved him in TML. Thats why I was so suprised by booing on him first game after the trade in ACC
Lets not pretend that most fans who attend games at the ACC are informed. There was no reason to boo Kessel, at all. He did his job and hated the media. That's what a true Leafs player should be.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Lets not pretend that most fans who attend games at the ACC are informed. There was no reason to boo Kessel, at all. He did his job and hated the media. That's what a true Leafs player should be.

I wouldnt have booed him personally but his last 41 games in a Leaf uniform was absolutely pathetic and boo worthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad