Is Pettersson elite defensively?

Is Pettersson elite defensively?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
You seriously want to pull the "66 point" card here? Did you think it was an intelligent point back when posters were doing the same with Matthews' injured seasons?

[mod]

You mean when he already had a 40 goal season? There is a point in that you at least have to accomplish something that might put you in an elite category first. Matthews goal numbers, even in shortened seasons do that. His points rates do that too after season 1. Hes also been over a point per game for 3 seasons. Pettersson has never.

Petterssons numbers are great for a young player. But none of them put him in an elite standing amongst all NHL players. Not his points, goals, points per game. There really isnt anything, yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LeafsNation75

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
You mean when he already had a 40 goal season? There is a point in that you at least have to accomplish something that might put you in an elite category first. Matthews goal numbers, even in shortened seasons do that. His points rates do that too after season 1. Hes also been over a point per game for 3 seasons. Pettersson has never.

Petterssons numbers are great for a young player. But none of them put him in an elite standing amongst all NHL players. Not his points, goals, points per game. There really isnt anything, yet.
pettersson is like 6 points away from PPG.

Reactions: Hughes Unleashed

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Take them for what you will, but GAR, WAR, WOWY and RAPM numbers all do.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
pettersson is like 6 points away from PPG.
So? Its not like its a magical barrier thst mskes one elite. But 30ish players break that every year and hes yet to be one of them. Unless your definition of elite is 50 players or something its hard to call his production elite. Not his points per game, raw points, goals... as ive said, he may get there one day but there really is nothing solid to back up being elite now.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I find he's amazing and yet hasn't reached his peak yet. Not saying he's bad, but I think he could highly improve every single thing to his game.

Find he's still learning and has a ton of room to grow, which says a lot considering he's already a stud in the NHL but if he applies a lot more to him believe he'll be up there with McDavid, Sid and co. One big thing he's lacking is size.

I also think he has the potential to be one of the top-five Swedish players of all-time. But for me the two best Swedish players ever are Lidstrom then Peter Forsberg. Although, I think he'll for sure pass Forsberg considering not only was he younger than he was when he made his NHL debut, but I think Pettersson thinks the game so much better but lack of experience is holding him back. I think had Forsberg entered the NHL he wouldn't have been the player he became. If Forsberg never had some of the many injuries in his career, I think he would've played a ton more games and put up a hell of a lot more points.

Reactions: Love

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Pettersson played at an 80 point/35 goal pace this season and his analytics are most certainly elite and then some, as he dominates possession in a way very few players in the game do. Whatever mental gymnastics you want to apply to his situation, simply watching him is enough to see that he's elite (top 30 player in the NHL). Saying Matthews "has been over a point per game for 3 seasons", while "Pettersson has never" is just being purposely daft. Comparing them at the same age, their PPGs from their 19 and 20 year old seasons were 1.04 vs. 0.95 ... yeah, HUGE difference, lol.

Besides, do you really want to pull the same card as Hollywood North, IPS and HolyMackinaw, all known trolls with nothing better to do than to make nonsensical arguments against Canucks players at every turn? Most hockey people consider Pettersson elite and I can really only take the word of Leafs internet trolls so far...

Reactions: Sayonara77

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
He is ok.

by no means "elite". not many are. He could get there eventually

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I find he's amazing and yet hasn't reached his peak yet. Not saying he's bad, but I think he could highly improve every single thing to his game.

Find he's still learning and has a ton of room to grow, which says a lot considering he's already a stud in the NHL but if he applies a lot more to him believe he'll be up there with McDavid, Sid and co. One big thing he's lacking is size.

I also think he has the potential to be one of the top-five Swedish players of all-time. But for me the two best Swedish players ever are Lidstrom then Peter Forsberg. Although, I think he'll for sure pass Forsberg considering not only was he younger than he was when he made his NHL debut, but I think Pettersson thinks the game so much better but lack of experience is holding him back. I think had Forsberg entered the NHL he wouldn't have been the player he became. If Forsberg never had some of the many injuries in his career, I think he would've played a ton more games and put up a hell of a lot more points.

Thats high praise right there. Im not prepared to compare him with Forsberg. Honestly hes very different to Forsberg although Pettersson idolizes his game. He doesn't have the body type to play his game (thighs and backside). I hope the canucks get a long run this year to see how he fares in playoff situations. so far so good though.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Elite... I don't think so.

I mean, I'm not at all worried when he's out there defending in his zone... and he makes outstanding reads through the neutral zone.. but I can't call him elite defensively.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Pettersson played at an 80 point/35 goal pace this season and his analytics are most certainly elite and then some, as he dominates possession in a way very few players in the game do. Whatever mental gymnastics you want to apply to his situation, simply watching him is enough to see that he's elite (top 30 player in the NHL). Saying Matthews "has been over a point per game for 3 seasons", while "Pettersson has never" is just being purposely daft. Comparing them at the same age, their PPGs from their 19 and 20 year old seasons were 1.04 vs. 0.95 ... yeah, HUGE difference, lol.

Besides, do you really want to pull the same card as Hollywood North, IPS and HolyMackinaw, all known trolls with nothing better to do than to make nonsensical arguments against Canucks players at every turn? Most hockey people consider Pettersson elite and I can really only take the word of Leafs internet trolls so far...

Wrll that actually translates into a near 10 point difference over a full season. An almost 80 point oace vs a 90 point pace. (And that ignores goals too).

Im not sure what you think is nonsensical. What exactly do you think he has accomplished that puts pettersson in elite category? Because i dont see a single thing.

Im notbsure why some posters are obsessed with comparing to auston matthews butbhe was 3rd in scoring among centres this year, one goal back of the rocket richard trophy. Those are elite accomplishments. His goal totals have always been elite., along with hisbgoals per game, points per game (after rookie season). There is plenty of material to back up calling him elite.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Yes, the guy who can barely stay on his feet when someone touches him is defensively elite.

:loony:

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Pettersson is not elite offensively or defensively at 21 years of age. Definitely has elite potential for both though. People have a really loose definition of "elite".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad