Is Pettersson elite defensively?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I think he has potential if he can prove to manage greater defensive responsibilities(PK, more situational defensive zone starts etc..)

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Has the potential to be, especially if he continues to gain weight/strength. Not anywhere close to elite as of right now.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Not yet, I went with borderline because he's an extremely gifted player in his own end and I believe he will be looked at as one of the best all around and most well rounded players in the league within a few years.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Went with borderline because, although he's not in the Bergeron/O'Reilly/Couturier, he's in the next level and one of the better defensive top line centers in the game. The only thing holding him back is his body type, which is a bit light to play a more grinding defensive style.

Reactions: Szechwan

Love

Feb 29, 2012
If Barkov is elite defensively then Pettersson is certainly elite.

Anyway I voted borderline because I dont think he’s elite but he’s damn good and could get to the elite group.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He's not elite in the sense of a guy who is going to play hard matchups and defensive minutes, but in terms of scoring line players who play scoring line minutes, he's one of the best at preventing chances the other way. Anyone who suggests he isn't very good defensively clearly doesn't know what they're watching.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's very good defensively. Quietly uses his smarts and anticipation to be in the right places most of the time. But no, he's not "elite" defensively. He's more just "above average". Elite is really reserved for the guys who are more than just usually in the right places with a smart stick imo.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I went with borderline in the sense he should get there, but isn't yet. He is a 21 year old top line centre. He is probably about as good defensively as you could hope for right now given his size, age and role.

Not a relevant stat for this thread, but still interesting that he was on the ice for less that 10 even strength goals against in his last season in the SHL

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He’s very good defensively but I think needs to be utilised more in defensive situations to be considered elite defensively.

Reactions: Szechwan

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
No, full stop.

He's fine defensively, but he's not winning a Selke any time soon.

And I'm a huge Pettersson fan.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Well, nobody can say whether he will or wont ever get there, but the van city hype on this kid got way out of hand. Hes got a career high of 66 points. Hes not really elite at this point at all. So the post you responded to is half right anyway.
You seriously want to pull the "66 point" card here? Did you think it was an intelligent point back when posters were doing the same with Matthews' injured seasons?

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Regal

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
He’s good defensively, not elite. I do believe he’ll become elite defensively soon enough. He’s got the mind and compete level for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad