Is Paul Maurice a good NHL coach?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Many Winnipeg Jets fans seem to be divided on this question. I wanted to get an opinion from non-Jets fans. Maurice was hired in January 2014, and recently was given an extension by True North. Some say he is doing a fantastic job this year, as the Jets are off to a 7-3-3 start. Others point out to the fact the Jets have been out-shot nearly every game, and the Jets are winning due to Hellebuyck playing lights out.

Under Maurice, the Jets records have been:

18-12-5
43-26-13
35-39-8
40-35-7

Thoughts?

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
No, he isn't. Winnipeg should get better results judging by their roster and a hot start doesn't change that.

Reactions: Peggy

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Terrible coach but one you have to bare up with. Just signed an extension and considering the stacked team he has at the hands, it's going to take a boatload of bad decisions to fail again and drop out of the playoffs. Knowing Maurice, I wouldn't make a bet either way at the moment to be honest.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
is about to become the most losingest coach in the nhl
how is it an opinion?

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I think he's a very average coach. He has obvious strengths and obvious weaknesses. I don't think he's awful but I don't think he's the reason the Jets do anything well on the ice either. He's definately replacable and I doubt his replacement would do a worse job. Would this replacement do a better job? I don't know. Maybe. Probably. Depends on who it is?

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think he's better than many around here give him credit for. That said I don't know why the Jets gave him a contract extension and it'd be best if the team moved on from him.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
He’s an average coach. There’s a reason he keeps getting hired... he knows how to squeeze a lot from a relatively small amount of talent. But he seems to have trouble squeezing a lot from a lot of talent.

so if the jets dropped him he's getting hired somewhere else?

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Us Jets fans are conditioned to think he's a good coach because the only other coach we've had (Noel) had no business being an NHL coach at all. Maurice is a bad NHL coach, but at least he's an NHL coach.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
"Is Paul Maurice a good NHL coach?"

He won't roll over or sit when I say, so no he isn't.

"Us Jets fans are conditioned to think he's a good coach because the only other coach we've had (Noel) had no business being an NHL coach at all. Maurice is a bad NHL coach, but at least he's an NHL coach. "

Correction; Only the conditioned ones believe what management is selling.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
He's been okay at best.

I think our roster is playing below it's potential.

I attribute most of our defense struggles to the fact that we still have Huddy as a d-coach for some reason.

It's Maurice's show though so any and all issues fall on him.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He's among the worst coaches in NHL. Just terrible. Doesn't have many redeeming qualities apart from being good at talking and that his players like him. Terrible special teams, terrible systems(offensive and defensive), terrible midgame reactions, terrible personnel choices etc.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
"betcha he would"
but can't provide any idea of why or where
Serious? The where or why team you’re asking for has a coach right now.

A handful of jobs come open every year - if PM is unemployed, he’ll be a candidate for some of them.

Hardly a bold statement.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Not saying he is a bad coach but sometimes a coaching change can revive a team. But to answer the Q, no I do not think he is a bad coach. He just may be on the wrong team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad