Is Ovechkin passing Crosby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Personally I’ve always had Sid ahead of Ovechkin as the better player throughout their careers, but even I’m starting to question it with Ovechkin’s explosion this year.

I had basically closed the door on this debate with Crosby on top, but if OV finishes his career with another trophy, or two while being better than Sid… do you put Ovechkin on top?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Personally I’ve always had Sid ahead of Ovechkin as the better player throughout their careers, but even I’m starting to question it with Ovechkin’s explosion this year.

I had basically closed the door on this debate with Crosby on top, but if OV finishes his career with another trophy, or two while being better than Sid… do you put Ovechkin on top?

I don’t like comparing the two, they’re too different as players. As an Ovi fan, I think he should get another Cup to climb further up the all time rankings as well as the record

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Absolutely not.

Ovechkin is the better goalscorer and volume shooter.

Crosby is the better hockey player in every other way.

The vast majority of people understand this reality. Their statistics, awards, award and point finishes, and narratives at the end of their careers will clearly demonstrate this reality for generations to come.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovechkin has been scoring at PPG for 10 years this is not the norm. But recency bias will say yes

Counting this season over the past 10 seasons Ovechkin has scored 415 goals. 2nd place is Tavares at 293. Crosby leads in assists in that period but only by 8 over both Backstrom and Kane. Ovechkin has scored over 30% more goals the the 2nd most over 10 seasons. You can't serious equate a goal with an assist. Can you? The ppg bar you are using doesnt account for the difference in difficulty. What Ovechkin is doing this season is ridiculous.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Crosby is on pace for his 17th PPG season in a row. Only Gretzky has more with 19.

Sid is 7th in the league in PPG all time, and the only one of the 7 not starting their career in the 70s or 80s.

Crosby is 7th in NHL playoff scoring all time, with only 5 Edmonton Oilers dynasty players + Jaromir Jagr ahead of him.

I can think its safe to say Oveckin will not come anywhere close to Crosby unless he is top 3 in scoring in the league for the next 5 season while winning at least one more stanley cup.

Last edited:

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Crosby over Ovechkin anytime, Crosby has pretty much the same points total in 2 seasons less games played with worse linemates than Ovie. Sid has more cups, better playoff production, better international team success & individual play and accolades. Crosby is the more complete player of the two. Crosby has twice as good +/- as Ovie career twice both in playoff and regular season.

Points per game over goals! Considering Sid missed most his games during his absolute prime, it makes his superior PPG even more impressive.

Ovechkin however has the "what have you done for me lately" factor and the flashy goal record to chase who could sway some people, especially if Sid body gives up on him and he struggles.

Crosby on the other hand lost his prime to the neck and concussion problems and re-shaped his game and came back great, albeit not as great as he would have been without these issues. If healthy the separation between Ovie and Sid would be even bigger.

3-1 playoff head to head advantage for Sid.
3-0 Olympic & World Cup advantage for Sid.

Unless you are talking about goals alone, Sid has Ovie covered.

Last edited:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
18-11 individual awards. Best peak seasons of the generation. Most harts of the generation. Legendary records like the most goal scoring titles ever and most likely the most goals ever. It might be a debate now, but 50 years from now when people pick up the record books and see OV's name at the top, it won't be much of a debate. It takes time to appreciate this kind of greatness. When Trottier and Bossy played, no one ranked Bossy ahead. Now 99% of lists have Bossy ahead. When Jagr won 4 rosses in a row, no one considered putting him ahead of Richard or even Lafleur. Now I see people arguing Jagr for 5th all time and no one ranks him behind Lafleur. As time goes on, Crosby will be forgotten. Legacy wise, there have been many like him and there will be again. Nothing special or record breaking about his career. OV will be remembered as the greatest goal scorer ever for at least the rest of our lives.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I mean I will go down the hill of Ovechkin is the best goal scorer ever. However better player is Crosby.

It's not close. The fact it's only debate because Crosby got injured in his prime.

Tired of the debate though see the same posts. Almost need a folder for responses at this point because I type the same thing almost every time.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Crosby over Ovechkin anytime, Crosby has pretty much the same points total in 2 seasons less games played with worse linemates than Ovie. Sid has more cups, better playoff production, better international team success & individual play and accolades. Crosby is the more complete player of the two. Points per game over goals! Considering Sid missed most his games during his absolute prime, it makes his superior PPG even more impressive.

Ovechkin however has the "what have you done for me lately" factor and the flashy goal record to chase who could sway some people, especially if Sid body gives up on him and he struggles.

Crosby on the other hand lost his prime to the neck and concussion problems and re-shaped his game and came back great, albeit not as great as he would have been without these issues. If healthy the separation between Ovie and Sid would be even bigger.

I think Crosby is indisputably the more well-rounded and complete player, but Olympic and World Cup comparisons always strike me as meaningless.

There's not much to infer from Canada having far greater depth in recent times, and I'm sure Ovechkin could've beaten out the likes of Chris Kunitz for a spot on Team Canada had he simply been born on a different piece of land.

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
We have an identical topic going here btw from 1 months ago:

As of 2021 - is Crosby vs Ovechkin's all-time ranking finalized, or can one still surpass the other?

qxKN18g.jpg

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
I had Crosby slighty ahead at the start of the season

However Ovechkin is on his way to win his 4th Hart trophy (which is twice as many as Crosby).
And he could possibly add another Rocket, Lindsay, 1st AST selection and 50 goals season

While Crosby isn't doing much this season, Ovechkin is having an historic season and has been better than Crosby since 2017-18.

That being said, unless Ovechkin suffers a season ending injury, he'll definitely pass Crosby by the end of this season

Reactions: Narcissus

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Crosby over Ovechkin anytime, Crosby has pretty much the same points total in 2 seasons less games (1) played with worse linemates than Ovie. Sid has more cups, better playoff production, better international team success & individual play and accolades. (2) Crosby is the more complete player of the two. Crosby has twice as good +/- as Ovie career twice both in playoff and regular season.

(3) Points per game over goals! Considering Sid missed most his games during his absolute prime, it makes his superior PPG even more impressive.

(4) Ovechkin however has the "what have you done for me lately" factor and the flashy goal record to chase who could sway some people, especially (5) if Sid body gives up on him and he struggles.

Crosby on the other hand lost his prime to the neck and concussion problems and re-shaped his game and came back great, (6) albeit not as great as he would have been without these issues. If healthy the separation between Ovie and Sid would be even bigger.

I can't believe I am about to do this, but I am.

First off let me say this, if I had to draft either Crosby or Ovechkin to a new team, I would draft Crosby because he is a center who is generational. He, as a center, has more inherent responsibility than a Wing. That being said, my favorite player since the early 2000's is Ovechkin. I am from Minnesota, I am not a Caps fan.

1. Crosby has not played with overall worse teammates. This is not a fair or accurate argument and it is one that has a lot of subjectivity.

2. Crosby is, of course, the more complete player of the two. He better be. He's a center. You do not expect a winger to be a center, so don't compare the two that way. If you want to argue this, then all centers are 'greater' than all wingers in NHL history. Lastly, don't start with the +/- stat. It's weak and highly superficial to the actuality of the games each season.

3. No. Never. Goals always will be more important than PPG. Assists are never as important as the one thing that wins hockey games, according to the damn rules.

4. What? What are you talking about? And 'flashy goal scoring record' is uh....you know....THE NHL GOAL SCORING RECORD.

5 + 6. If Sid struggles that's on him. His health issues are issues as a player. Durable players are VASTLY more important because you can't score goals from the MRI unit.

Ug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad