Is OV a playoff choker?

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
he definitely chocked last year, that's for sure. Guy was a liability in a D-zone in game 7 last year..

You mean Holtby did right? Because he completely let his team down. No team can win a Cup with the type of goaltending Holtby provided. He was a choker last season.

Problem with Capitals is they have never been able to put it all together. Ovechkin is fantastic, Kuznetsov is a terrible, Backstrom is average, and Holtby is great. Or, you get Ovechkin is average, Kuznetsov is good, Backstrom is good, Holtby is terrible. There is always one major core player who is terrible.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
For sure Canada would have won in 2010 without Crosby scoring in overtime in the gold medal game, that was such a huge blowout win for Canada that they couldn't have possibly lost that game...

One of their other 100+ point forwards would have done it. It was a bad goal by Miller. You do realize that right? A five-hole goal like that never should have happened. USA was just hanging on in OT. It was a matter of time. If Crosby didn't beat him through the five-hole, some other elite super star from Canada would have.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Choke = hes said to choke in the playoffs
Dirty jerz = New Jersey, some people call it that because they think its dirty when in reality NJ is one of the nicest states in the country yet folks think no one wants to play/live here
And hed replace Hall as 1LW.

It wasnt that confusing I didnt think lol
That's because the turnpike is the main route for on/off traffic when coming from different stats. The first thing they smell is the turnpike area filled with pollution.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
simply put, yes. The Caps racked up many 100pt seasons and multiple Presidents Trophies but never made it past the 2nd round.

I dont care how much you play the "team game" card...a player that is supposedly as historically good as Ovechkin is claimed to be should be able to at least drag his team to 1 conference finals.

Karlsson just did it

Reactions: Ageless

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
He isn't a choker but he deserves his share of the blame. Last year against Pittsburgh, he was completely invisible in game 7.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
No. I will say that his style of game has sometimes not lent itself to being entirely effective in elimination games, but big picture he’s one of the best playoff goal scorers.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
If it wasn't for the fact that his prime coincided with Malkin and Crosby's then he would likely have multiple finals appearances and maybe a cup or two.

How many times has he been eliminated by the Penguins? Two or three times? Winning is tough when your prime coincides with Crosby and Malkin's when they're on the same team. He's had some mediocre post seasons (so has everyone. Crosby and Malkin included), but he's usually a force in most playoffs

Reactions: Hagstrom

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
simply put, yes. The Caps racked up many 100pt seasons and multiple Presidents Trophies but never made it past the 2nd round.

I dont care how much you play the "team game" card...a player that is supposedly as historically good as Ovechkin is claimed to be should be able to at least drag his team to 1 conference finals.

Karlsson just did it

What's the difference between "dragging your team to the finals" and simply playing extremely good hockey? Because lots of players, including Ovi, have been eliminated despite playing extremely good hockey

Reactions: Quiet Jack

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ovechkin is not a choker tha Caps are tho

The problem is that the Capitals have continued to be chokers despite having a consistently changing supporting cast. They're having the same issues in recent years that they had early in Ovechkin's career, the only common factors are Backstrom and Ovi. At what point is it not just a Capitals problem, and it's an Ovi problem? It might not even be Ovechkin's play, it might be his leadership abilities.

I think it says something that despite multiple different coaches and a completely changed supporting cast, the Capitals are still having issues with succeeding in the playoffs. At what point do you point at the common factor here (Backstrom and Ovi), rather than just blaming everything else but those 2? This isn't me saying Ovi is a playoff choker, just posing a question. Ovi's individual play in the playoffs has been good, you can't argue against that statistically.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
You don't win championships with OV leading the helm. Plain and simple. I've never heard of a three time MVP that played on the best team in the regular season three times not ever make it past the second round.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I would say no. I remember him being pretty productive in the playoffs. I think the Caps are chokers though. They had amazing teams the last few years and never amounted to anything spectacular.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Definitely not. The problem with Ovechkin in the playoffs is through his career he's largely been a 'take the puck and do everything himself' type of players. With his talent that wins him trophies in the regular season when every game is a different opponent, but in the playoffs it's easier to zero in on and shut down this type of player.

So what you often see is OV busting his ass trying to do everything himself, but gets frustrated when the other team can hold him in check and it doesn't work.

Reactions: Rogue Winger

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
President trophy means nothing in playoffs. You can simply dominate more weak teams in regular season therefore get more points or you can be just lucky to not having many injured players through the season. Difference between 100 points team and 90-95 is minimal. Caps always were highly talented team but softy. It worked pretty well in regular season.

Ovy got used to play physical game and to be hardly covered in the game, but it's not the case for everyone else in team. I often see how Backstrom and Kuzy's production drops significally when you play hard against them. While Malkin goes god mode when you try to make him anger. You drop everything you have on him, and then its Crosby's line that starts to produce because they get less attention. I wonder what would happen if they put Ovy on 3rd line in playoffs.

P.S. Btw, there is special case for teams with many injured players through regular season:
1) Injured players often play playoff type of hockey, therefore get injured. They are grinders and fighters who are very valuable in the playoffs
2) If team manage to get in playoffs through the injuries, they are highly favourites because with these players in the lineup, they are more dangerous and final standing doesn't reflect their true potential.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
It's a team sport, no player alone can win a Cup.

His playoff performances have been somewhat dissapointing, but Ovechkin has a better and more impressive individual resume than the 3 Penguins Jagr, Crosby, and Malkin.

Not only that, he is adding to his resume this year with likely another Rocket Richard trophy, while Crosby fades into obscurity.

Rogue Winger

Mar 10, 2018
His NHL playoffs stats are not choker stats by any means. Team sport players don't win Cups by themselves. Never had, never will.

So what you often see is OV busting his ass trying to do everything himself, but gets frustrated when the other team can hold him in check and it doesn't work.

True. Same can be said many of AO's international games. Definitely not a choker. The drive and will is there, but he can't raise his level when it matters.

AO is not a choker. He is a pretty good playoff player. Just not a great playoff player.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
It's a team sport, no player alone can win a Cup.

His playoff performances have been somewhat dissapointing, but Ovechkin has a better and more impressive individual resume than the 3 Penguins Jagr, Crosby, and Malkin.

Not only that, he is adding to his resume this year with likely another Rocket Richard trophy, while Crosby fades into obscurity.
Fades into obscurity? Has the same amount of points as ovechkin. Also ovechkin can keep winning all the rockets he wants. Won't change a damn thing when comparing him to a world class player like crosby

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
He is not a playoff choker, but Ill say something: Put either Malkin or Crosby in the Capitals (Ovechkin to PIT) for 2008-2018 and I can guarantee you that the Caps reach the CF at least once.

EDIT: CF = conference finals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad