Is Ottawa the worst penalized team? Yup!

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
The team not drawing penalties but getting called a lot is indicative of style of play rather than ref bias IMO

This. We have a lot of players that will go for a hit along the boards; Smith, Neil, Condra, MEthot, etc. Refs will see that and call boarding, charging, whatever more than they will a team that just goes skate skate skate pass pass pass shoot shoot and so on. Basically, the grittier, "run arounder" you are the more penalties you'll get.

Macca

Oct 7, 2009
Toronto consistently getting so few penalties is complete BS given how much they've sucked since the 04-05 lockout.

There has not been one game this year where the Leafs have had less powerplays than their opponent. The Leafs also lead the league in two man advantages, no surprise there either.

Last edited:

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I think it all balances out over the course of a season & it's the same for every team & every fan base there the refs are against them.

But the stats are consistent for the last 6 years, at least the fact that they are on the PK more than the PP.

I wonder if this is something that they can coach.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
This. We have a lot of players that will go for a hit along the boards; Smith, Neil, Condra, MEthot, etc. Refs will see that and call boarding, charging, whatever more than they will a team that just goes skate skate skate pass pass pass shoot shoot and so on. Basically, the grittier, "run arounder" you are the more penalties you'll get.

Did... Did you actually just say Condra is a "grinder" who will go for a hit? I don't think I've seen the guy throw a hit the entire time he's been on our team

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I think it all balances out over the course of a season & it's the same for every team & every fan base there the refs are against them.

No, it isnt. Ottawa, since the last lockout, outside of one season has been at the very bottom for PP-PK. We are one of the most penalized teams EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Despite coaching changes, system changes, and a complete roster turnover.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
The team not drawing penalties but getting called a lot is indicative of style of play rather than ref bias IMO

This doesnt explain why it happens EVERY YEAR, with totally different players, different coaches, and radically different systems. Despite all those changes, Ottawa is always boned when it comes to penalties. Lemme go dig up that topi I made a few days before this one...

Edit: Got it

Despite changes in coaches, players, and even systems, this team continues to get NO love from the refs. Im not one to blame them, but the numbers really kind of speak for themselves.

From my post in another thread:

Looked it up myself.

PP time minus PK time

05-06 -8:54 (14th in the league)
06-07 +27:15 (12th)
07-08 -83:02 (28th)
08-09 -24:24 (22nd)
09-10 -46:16 (27th)
10-11 -74:00 (29th)
11-12 -71:39 (27th)
12-13 -17:26 (29th)

So, despite having one of the most dynamic offences in the league for much of that time, at best we were middling, and only ONE year did we have a positive.

Even more shocking to me is that in that same time, Toronto, a lottery team that spends almost the entire game in their own end finished:

05-06 12th
06-07 17th
07-08 15th
08-09 5th
09-10 2nd
10-11 2nd
11-12 6th
12-13 5th

They were a positive in all but 2 years. Really amazing with that truculent team of theirs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad