Is Ottawa the worst penalized team? Yup!

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Hey, I am not talking this year, I am talking over the last 6 years.

Ottawa on average ranked 27th in PP time - PK time.

Here are Canadian Teams average ranking over the last 6 years

Toronto 5.16
Calgary 14.7
Winnipeg/Atl 15.5
Vancouver 16.5
Edmonton 19.3
Montreal 19.2
Ottawa 26.8

The difference works out to he 320 minutes over those years, or 45 seconds per game.

I admit to having cherry picked a bit, the year before Ottawa was 12th :p

Goat Boy

Jun 8, 2011
And what happened on 3 December 2006, just a little over six years ago that would have caused us to drop from 12th to 27th??? :sarcasm:

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Hmm a bit off topic but has Ottawa been the only Canadian team in the last 2 decades that had a few line brawls? Can't seem to remember any others off hand.

Last edited:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
That's why I always like to see the puck cleared high off the boards.

source

Jul 13, 2008
How many additional PIMs/Game do we average more than the median team?

Goat Boy

Jun 8, 2011
Was it when we waved the white flag?

Aye. Six seasons since Schaefer waved his towel. Six seasons of bad luck on calls. :shakehead

Is it like a mirror? Maybe after another year we'll be in the clear... :laugh:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Hmm a bit off topic but has Ottawa been the only Canadian team in the last 2 decades that had a few line brawls? Can't seem to remember any others off hand.

circa 2003 IIRC
Also, Bryan Murray was the Ducks coach at the time.

Dan Bylsma was playing at the time too, as was Jason York.

Last edited:

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Toronto consistently getting so few penalties is complete BS given how much they've sucked since the 04-05 lockout.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
If you remove the too many men though I bet were prob more middle of tr pack

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Not at all surprised. Paul MacLean seems like a well liked and respected individual across the league yet it only took a couple of months before referees found some reason to put him in their bad books.

They've got some lingering issue with the Sens.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Schaefer waving the flag is the new the wind was moving the flag.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
A lot of it probably has to do with most referees being from southern Ontario (i.e. Leaf fans) and Ottawa being the Leafs biggest rival since the early 2000's.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Ottawa's not a disciplined team, and hasn't been for a while.

And Toronto is? A team that brought in a bunch of thugs and announced their plan was to be as goonish as possible, ended up being one of the worst teams in the league, yet still somehow drew FAR more penalties than they took.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Bump!

This is where ottawa ranks in:

PP%: 9th
Pk%: 4th
ES GF/GA ratio: 4th

So if we were to be average in pp vs pk time we would probably be somewhere between 4th and 9th in the league...give or take a spot or two. But because we're shorthanded way more then we're a man up, we're 12th in point%.

It's funny how a stat alone does nothing, but when you start to piece them together, they make a lot of sense.

Ottawa has the second least amount of powerplay time at 58:43. Toronto has the most with 101:36. Toronto was 1st with 65 opportunities. Ottawa 26th with 39. There's no way that's accurate to what's going on on the ice.

In terms of the pk, we've spent more time shorthanded then 20 other teams. Toronto, only 8 teams spent less time shorthanded.

Ottawa is 28th in pp-pk time with -21:40. So for ottawa to go even on the year, they would near 11 powerplays in a row without getting a penalty. Taking our percentage, that's 2-3 goals. That's just through a dozen games. And that's just to be an average team in terms of pp-pk time.

So despite being top 5 in 5 on 5, top 5 in pk, and top 10 in pp, we fall outside of the top 10 in the standings because we're penalized more then most, and get way less powerplays then most teams.

Last edited:

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Bump!

This is where ottawa ranks in:

PP%: 9th
Pk%: 4th
ES GF/GA ratio: 4th

So if we were to be average in pp vs pk time we would probably be somewhere between 4th and 9th in the league...give or take a spot or two. But because we're shorthanded way more then we're a man up, we're 12th in point%.

It's funny how a stat alone does nothing, but when you start to piece them together, they make a lot of sense.

Ottawa has the second least amount of powerplay time at 58:43. Toronto has the most with 101:36. Toronto was 1st with 65 opportunities. Ottawa 26th with 39. There's no way that's accurate to what's going on on the ice.

In terms of the pk, we've spent more time shorthanded then 20 other teams. Toronto, only 8 teams spent less time shorthanded.

So despite being top 5 in 5 on 5, top 5 in pk, and top 10 in pp, we fall outside of the top 10 in the standings because we're penalized more then most, and get way less powerplays then most teams.

This is something that I did not check over time. I only checked the difference, but I wonder if the Sens simply draw a lot less penalties.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This is something that I did not check over time. I only checked the difference, but I wonder if the Sens simply draw a lot less penalties.

That's the case. Ottawa is worse at drawing penalties then they are at taking penalties.

They fall in the 25-30 area for drawing penalties. but are in the 20 area for taking penalties. So they're near the bottom in both(causing a huge disadvantage) but worse in drawing.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think it all balances out over the course of a season & it's the same for every team & every fan base there the refs are against them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad