Is NOW the time to trade Stewart???

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
They've lost 10 straight. Stewart's points are clearly super critical.

Not the argument. He scored 10 points in 14 games coming into tonight. And he scored tonight. He's scoring on a terrible scoring team. That's the point.

Think a contender might think that Stewart could contribute more on a better team with better linemates?

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
If a GM is pursuing Stewart (or anybody else) based on some small number of games where they aren't terrible vs looking at their overall body of work, they should be fired immediately.

Stewart generates interest because he has the skill/size combo which can be very impressive, and every team hopes to be the one to get some level of consistency out of him.

KennyFnPowers*

I'd say wait until the deadline. No teams are desperate for a PWF right now. If he continues to produce he should get a mid-2nd or a decent prospect.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If a GM is pursuing Stewart (or anybody else) based on some small number of games where they aren't terrible vs looking at their overall body of work, they should be fired immediately.

Stewart generates interest because he has the skill/size combo which can be very impressive, and every team hopes to be the one to get some level of consistency out of him.

His body of work is being a big, 15-25 goal scorer. I didn't suggest his recent scoring run as the info a GM should decide off of. Stewart has a history of being more than he is now, and scoring on a bad team might be a selling point.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
I'd assume most of his fighting and recent effort is to bump his own stock in a contract year, get traded to a top contender, hit 20 goals, then shoot for Clarkson-lite money.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Rather trade him before he gets hurt or he hits a cold streak. Don't really care as long as he is not a part of the organization next season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It's gotta happen anytime now!!!haha.... Stats wise he has been pretty damn good lately!... Cmon and pull the trigger Murray...

Buffalo Sabres Individual Stats leaders (month by month):

--October: Drew Stafford, 6; Tyler Ennis, 5; Zemgus Girgensons, Marcus Foligno, 3
--November: Ennis, 11; Girgensons, 10; Moulson, 9
--December: Ennis, 8; Grigensons, Stafford, 7
--January: Stewart, 8; Ennis, 6; Girgensons, 4

Goals
--October: Ennis, 4; Girgensons, Foligno, 2; Stafford, Cody Hodgson, Torrey Mitchell, Nic Deslauriers, 1
--November: Girgensons, 5; Moulson, 4; Ennis, Stafford, Chris Stewart, Brian Flynn, 3
--December: Girgensons, 4; Moulson, Foligno, 3
--January: Stewart, 4; Ennis, 3; Stafford, Girgensons, Varone, Zadorov, 2

Powerplay Goals
--October: Stafford, 1
--November: Ennis, 2; Stafford, Moulson, 1
--December: Ennis, Ristolainen, 2; Stewart, Zadorov, 1
--January: Stewart, 3; Girgensons, Grigorenko, 1

Assists
--October: Stafford, 5; Moulson, 2; Twelve with 1
--November: Ennis, 8; Moulson, Girgensons, Gionta, 5
--December: Ennis, Stafford, 6; Gorges, 5
--January: Stewart, 4; Ennis, Moulson, Flynn, Zadorov, 3

Primary Assists
--October: Stafford, Moulson 2; Eight with 1
--November: Ennis, 4; Moulson, Stafford, 3
--December: Ennis, 5; Stafford, Stewart, 4
--January: Moulson, Ennis, Stewart, 3; Flynn, 2

Powerplay Assists
--October: Ennis, Tyler Myers, 1
--November: Moulson, 3; Stafford, 2; Ennis, Myers, Ristolainen, 1
--December: Nine with one each
--January: Ennis, 3; Stewart, Zadorov, 2

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I doubt serious offers forthcoming this early. Gonna be a typical deadline deal most likely.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Bryan's contract is up next year and ya its terminal. Feel bad for the guy and we all know how Tim feels. Bryan will finish his contract after next season. Than after which he will go into an advisory role.

Unfortunately I don't see anything of that happening. His condition is only getting worse. He's done with hockey after this season I think.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Murray will end up getting nothing more than a 2nd rounder at the deadline, regardless of how Stewart does from now until then. I know he's holding off in case a GM gets desperate but it's much more likely GMs will not overpay for someone of Stewart's contract status and performance history regardless of how hot he might get over a period of a month.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
big game for him Montreal, theyre scouting for UFA talent on the wings, if he or Stafford have a nice game, could be their ticket to a playoff team

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Murray will end up getting nothing more than a 2nd rounder at the deadline, regardless of how Stewart does from now until then. I know he's holding off in case a GM gets desperate but it's much more likely GMs will not overpay for someone of Stewart's contract status and performance history regardless of how hot he might get over a period of a month.

Think a GM would bite on a conditional trade.

Stew for a 2nd

If team makes CF + X then trade is Stew+4th for 1st.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
If Murray gets a second round pick this year for Stewart he will have done well. A 2nd and a 4th next year or year after is ok too.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
He'll be traded within a few days of the deadline. This idea that players' value fluctuates like a stock is so silly. As if GM's didn't know that Stewart was capable of hot streaks interspersed with otherwise inconsistent play. At the end of the day, as creative as I'm sure Murray would like to get with some of these deals, I think we should hope for a late-2nd for Stewart.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Stewart's best scenario is to get traded now and have more time to catch on with his new team, and hope he can become this year's version of Joel Ward a few years ago with Nashville in playoffs, then moving to WASH in offseason. (And I'm not saying that because they're both black.)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He'll be traded within a few days of the deadline. This idea that players' value fluctuates like a stock is so silly. As if GM's didn't know that Stewart was capable of hot streaks interspersed with otherwise inconsistent play. At the end of the day, as creative as I'm sure Murray would like to get with some of these deals, I think we should hope for a late-2nd for Stewart.

Agreed. Murray will wait until near the deadline to move Stewart so he can hold the line as long as possible on his asking price.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Agreed. Murray will wait until near the deadline to move Stewart so he can hold the line as long as possible on his asking price.

I can definitely see it waiting to the last minute, someone missing out on Stewart/Stafford, and accepting the same deal for the other one. They're similar enough that he might as well have just one 'auction'

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje

It's not THAT silly. Value is based on need. Sure, GM's have a pretty good idea of what they get, but suddenly someone goes down with an injury and your need rises, as does the value of what's available. A glass of water is a glass of water and usually, I'm almost offended if restaurant wants to charge me for it. However, if I'm in the dessert I would probably give you one of my arms for it. :)

Demand and supply. It's market economy.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It's not THAT silly. Value is based on need. Sure, GM's have a pretty good idea of what they get, but suddenly someone goes down with an injury and your need rises, as does the value of what's available. A glass of water is a glass of water and usually, I'm almost offended if restaurant wants to charge me for it. However, if I'm in the dessert I would probably give you one of my arms for it. :)

My post was made in the context of the belief that Stewart's 14 pts in 19 games has altered his value. My point is that GM's know Stewart is capable of hot streaks in between inconsistent play. He has 430 NHL games. The GM's know the book on him.

Demand and supply. It's market economy.

I think this dictates why we're not going to get a great return on him. The EC Playoffs are virtually set. I think those on the outside looking in are all sellers when you consider that Florida is in 9th yet is 8 pts out of the final playoff spot. Arizona and Edmonton will sell, as well, and I think one of Minnesota, Colorado, or Dallas falls out of the race and sells, as well.

The market ain't looking good right now.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
It is not just getting into the playoffs, Each game in a decent market has a 2 million dollar value +/- .If Stewart gives them an extra series it is worth it to some teams.

SiDC1

Dec 3, 2011
Northern Va
Take it with a grain of salt but Murray said, during an interview on Sabres Hockey Hotline, that there was absolutely no calls for anyone by anyone. I don't see anything happen till the last week of February.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
My post was made in the context of the belief that Stewart's 14 pts in 19 games has altered his value. My point is that GM's know Stewart is capable of hot streaks in between inconsistent play. He has 430 NHL games. The GM's know the book on him.

I think this dictates why we're not going to get a great return on him. The EC Playoffs are virtually set. I think those on the outside looking in are all sellers when you consider that Florida is in 9th yet is 8 pts out of the final playoff spot. Arizona and Edmonton will sell, as well, and I think one of Minnesota, Colorado, or Dallas falls out of the race and sells, as well.

The market ain't looking good right now.

And I think you're right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad