Is NOW the time to trade Stewart???

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Seems like every game he is putting up points. Has 10 points in past 14 games. Id say his stock is at the highest now. On hockey night in Canada last night they were discussing him and how a trade could happen soon. They brought up Nashville as a team interested

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'm frankly continually surprised whenever there's a report about some team who evidently thinks he's a part of the solution for them, having seen him play and knowing how sy Louis fans think of him, too.

But I'll take it. A second rounder or comparably coveted prospect gets him today, or BO at the deadline.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Patience. Wait for someone to become desperate and overpay.

they also mentioned Calgary as a team interested. I could see them trying to do something soon. They are actually a surprisingly good team this year and I think he would be a good fit. The West is good and they are involved in a log jam that 2 more points could put them in 6th or else a couple losses could drop them to 11th. There is no time for them to sit and wait... I could see them pulling the trigger on a deal soon

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
they also mentioned Calgary as a team interested. I could see them trying to do something soon. They are actually a surprisingly good team this year and I think he would be a good fit. The West is good and they are involved in a log jam that 2 more points could put them in 6th or else a couple losses could drop them to 11th. There is no time for them to sit and wait... I could see them pulling the trigger on a deal soon

Sure there is. Closer to the deadline is when people get dumb. 'Shaking up' the team now does nothing.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'd rather trade him for an NHL ready prospect than yet another draft pick. Why not pick up a 21/22 year old as opposed to getting another 18 year old we need to wait 4/5 years for.

Agreed....Living in Western Canada, one prospect I LOVE on the Preds is Brendan Leipsic. Has HUGE offensive potential and plays so damn gritty. Played for Portland Winterhawks and was always a top scorer and had 100+ pims...Having a good rookie season in the AHL so far too. Stewart for Leipsic and a 3rd or something

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'd rather trade him for an NHL ready prospect than yet another draft pick. Why not pick up a 21/22 year old as opposed to getting another 18 year old we need to wait 4/5 years for.

I wouldn't have a clue if there are any NHL ready prospects in Nashville that Murray likes. Getting Nashville's 1st is for trading up on draft day for a player that is one year away from being a Sabre.

I'd offer the same deal (Stewart + NYI 2nd for 1st) for any solid playoff team that will end up in the 20-28 range in draft order.

Edit - Most playoff teams would need to send back a cap dump to make the dollars work, ie Jokinen or Cullen.

Last edited:

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I wouldn't have a clue if there are any NHL ready prospects in Nashville that Murray likes. Getting Nashville's 1st is for trading up on draft day for a player that is one year away from being a Sabre.

I'd offer the same deal (Stewart + NYI 2nd for 1st) for any solid playoff team that will end up in the 20-28 range in draft order.

Edit - Most playoff teams would need to send back a cap dump to make the dollars work, ie Jokinen or Cullen.
There was some fan scuttlebutt on the board around some past deadline (nothing more official than trade forum back and forth) about Pontus Ã…berg. He's a speedy winger, more of a scorer than a passer, and he'd give a little life to Rochester. I have no idea how Nashville fans value him and I don't know where he'd slot into our future plans, but he'd be essentially like taking a second rounder (best case scenario for Stewart) and accelerating it three years into the future.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Montreal may want some size--how about Stewart and Weber for their second and a future mid pick. Take back anyone they want to give us re cap....

ZeroPT*

The time to trade him was last deadline. Now he's just worth a 3rd and maybe a 4th

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Why do the Sabres want more draft picks?

If you held a mid round draft pick in this years draft, would you want to deal that pick for two late first rounders and a second? I guess some prospect dry teams might but I think last year TM found moving up the draft difficult. I could see that exact same problem this year. Maybe some would want the volume over their current grading of player x, but I don't buy. Sabres don't need to end with 7 guys drafted in the first two rounds.

If we have to draft 6/7 guys, time to start hammering the college ranks to gain extra time. Remember there's a maximum of 50 contracts.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
My fear, is that it's going to be a serious buyers market this year with all the bottom teams. We thought the prices paid last year was rough, I don't see anybody giving up 1sts this year again. Usually there's at least a few teams still fighting for a playoff spot, but the East looks set with maybe only Florida with a chance. The West has a few so hopefully there's opportunity there. But as for the sellers:

1. Buffalo
  2. Edmonton
  3. Arizona
  4. Carolina
  5. New Jersey
    And to a lesser extent
  6. Ottawa
  7. Toronto
  8. Philly

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Drafting 6-7 picks in first 2 rounds could cause contract issues but trading one for one does that too. The issue is when those contracts start--and college players and Europeans who can play there under contract might be an answer? If we sign a player 2 years after we draft him we have some idea of his value. I will be happy to trade to get a highly touted prospect by giving up one of our UFAs plus a second but have doubts we can find such a seller. Anyhow if we do the Moulson thing I would be thrilled--get something for a UFA and then resign if appropriate and possible.

JohnScottForHart

Oct 17, 2014
My fear, is that it's going to be a serious buyers market this year with all the bottom teams. We thought the prices paid last year was rough, I don't see anybody giving up 1sts this year again. Usually there's at least a few teams still fighting for a playoff spot, but the East looks set with maybe only Florida with a chance. The West has a few so hopefully there's opportunity there. But as for the sellers:

1. Buffalo
  2. Edmonton
  3. Arizona
  4. Carolina
  5. New Jersey
    And to a lesser extent
  6. Ottawa
  7. Toronto
  8. Philly

Ottawa is selling I believe, at least when they get their GM back.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Not to sound tactless here but Murray's cancer is terminal.

Bryan's contract is up next year and ya its terminal. Feel bad for the guy and we all know how Tim feels. Bryan will finish his contract after next season. Than after which he will go into an advisory role.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Sure it does. Stewart has 10 points in 14 games. Trade him for a pick or prospect. Bring up Dalpe. Dalpe isn't putting up 10 in 14.

It's a tank move.

They've lost 10 straight. Stewart's points are clearly super critical.

ZeroPT*

Bryan's contract is up next year and ya its terminal. Feel bad for the guy and we all know how Tim feels. Bryan will finish his contract after next season. Than after which he will go into an advisory role.

Dude...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad