Is NHL Seattle dragging its feet?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
kick off time comes the day of the nhl draft. That is when all balls start rolling

I have been to several SHL games were there were scouts from an unnamed team and it were guys working as stringers for the Seattle team

while they have only a few full time employees they are using some scouts on short term contracts this year(many nhl team use stringer scouts here in Europe to scout certain players or teams, file a report and that is it)

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
There is no way Seattle plays in the Key Arena in 2021. No way. It is almost April and they are still digging and removing soil from under temporary rook supports. I will be laughing out loud when the second delay is announced. I'm pretty sure that the most ticket delay and name delay are due to the fact that another delay is going to be announced soon. That delay will be the push back of the team's first season until 2022-22023.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
It's Seattle, what do you expect. Nothing goes quickly in that state. Take a look at the local and state governments and you'll find your answers

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There is no way Seattle plays in the Key Arena in 2021. No way. It is almost April and they are still digging and removing soil from under temporary rook supports. I will be laughing out loud when the second delay is announced. I'm pretty sure that the most ticket delay and name delay are due to the fact that another delay is going to be announced soon. That delay will be the push back of the team's first season until 2022-22023.

I suggest you read up on the weekly reports. They are already starting pouring the new foundation to re-support the roof.

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I suggest you read up on the weekly reports. They are already starting pouring the new foundation to re-support the roof.
Umm they have poured the permanent posts for the roff and even attached some. Thing is they are still excavating all over the site and trucks are still moving mountains of dirt out. There is a lot of work to get done prior to June 1st ( 14 months ) which is the date of the NHL draft that Seattle was to host at that very venue. Now I don't want to rain on any ones parade but just look up the Seattle tunnel dig and check out how long that was delayed. I have seen 2000 sq foot homes take over 14 months from foundation to finish and this project is a mammoth. But here is a pic from 1o days ago, the only thing that had changed is that some of the yellow temporary posts are gone in favor of concrete permanents which take 4 weeks to cure. Trust me its a pipe dream this thing is finished on time.
80ADOJX.jpg

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Umm they have poured the permanent posts for the roff and even attached some. Thing is they are still excavating all over the site and trucks are still moving mountains of dirt out. There is a lot of work to get done prior to June 1st ( 14 months ) which is the date of the NHL draft that Seattle was to host at that very venue. Now I don't want to rain on any ones parade but just look up the Seattle tunnel dig and check out how long that was delayed. I have seen 2000 sq foot homes take over 14 months from foundation to finish and this project is a mammoth. But here is a pic from 1o days ago, the only thing that had changed is that some of the yellow temporary posts are gone in favor of concrete permanents which take 4 weeks to cure. Trust me its a pipe dream this thing is finished on time.
80ADOJX.jpg

And that's just the south end where the new enterance is going to be at. They can get the new foundation in place and done while still removing that rest of the dirt.

The team is still going to start 21-22, although if there is any delays like due to this virus ordeal, that might cost us the chance to host the 2021 NHL entry draft. If you exclude the virus outbreak potential delays to construction, its still on tract to be done in time.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
They've already got the roof up, don't see what the problem is here.

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
They've already got the roof up, don't see what the problem is here.
The roof is usually the last thing you put up on any structure. They are still digging the pit and will have to get the ice surface and concrete in the bottom, walls, seats, suites built which is like 75 tiny homes, locker rooms concession areas and it goes on and on. The roof lol. Who wants to bet that the team does not play a game in this facility until 2022-2023?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The roof is usually the last thing you put up on any structure. They are still digging the pit and will have to get the ice surface and concrete in the bottom, walls, seats, suites built which is like 75 tiny homes, locker rooms concession areas and it goes on and on. The roof lol. Who wants to bet that the team does not play a game in this facility until 2022-2023?

Dude most of the digging is done. only the south end of the site still has dirt to remove and that is actually outside not inside.

Seriously enough of the whole NHL will delay the team for another year. That isn't going to happen. The arena will get done maybe a delay due to the virus but nothing else. Again the most that will happen is we don't host 2021 entry draft.

OVG and the crew know what they are doing. The team will start playing 2021-22 sesaon.

Reactions: cptjeff

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The roof is usually the last thing you put up on any structure. They are still digging the pit and will have to get the ice surface and concrete in the bottom, walls, seats, suites built which is like 75 tiny homes, locker rooms concession areas and it goes on and on. The roof lol.

That's the old roof that was basically floating on steel support teams.

I know, I was kidding.

But it does indicate this isn't a "normal" project so we probably shouldn't extrapolate what the progress looks like just because they're still digging.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I know, I was kidding.

But it does indicate this isn't a "normal" project so we probably shouldn't extrapolate what the progress looks like just because they're still digging.

Any left over digging is for the loading bays/tunnel which is on the south end.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Arena work has been exempt from the stay at home order due to it being a public and a "critcal path " projet.

The roof is still on support beams and must been reattached to the foundation thats still being poured cause of that, it has been exempt from being shut down. Only the practice facility work has been halted.

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ok so they are already talking about the delay of the opening to extend just one month after construction halted for a couple of days due to the virus. I know some of you doubt me so I'm going to give you a little building 101 along with a link to the article which was published by the Seattle Times. So no matter what you say the are still digging down and need to go another 15. Anybody guess how long that will take? For a house it may be a day or two but a building this size? Next you have to do the groundwork plumbing, thats the pipes that take wastewater of the building. Is this a day,weel or month long project? Then you got to concrete the base floor, foundation etc and with that much concrete I wouldn't start that until the late summer out here to give the concrete quality cure time. So lets say by the end of the summer is the target for that to be completed? That would give them just 9 months to hit the second target date of June 1st. Here is the link: KeyArena construction set to resume Monday amid coronavirus work stoppages, Tim Leiweke says

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
The NHL would have the team play one season in a temporary venue than delay the team's arrival by a year. Especially as the other owners might need some cash to pay back against the 2019-20 problems.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ok so they are already talking about the delay of the opening to extend just one month after construction halted for a couple of days due to the virus. I know some of you doubt me so I'm going to give you a little building 101 along with a link to the article which was published by the Seattle Times. So no matter what you say the are still digging down and need to go another 15. Anybody guess how long that will take? For a house it may be a day or two but a building this size? Next you have to do the groundwork plumbing, thats the pipes that take wastewater of the building. Is this a day,weel or month long project? Then you got to concrete the base floor, foundation etc and with that much concrete I wouldn't start that until the late summer out here to give the concrete quality cure time. So lets say by the end of the summer is the target for that to be completed? That would give them just 9 months to hit the second target date of June 1st. Here is the link: KeyArena construction set to resume Monday amid coronavirus work stoppages, Tim Leiweke says

New Arena at Seattle Center Construction Update - New Arena at Seattle Center

I suggest you read up.

They are already pouring the foundation to reattach the roof. The digging is on the SOUTH end outside where the old loading bay used to be. They are no longer digging from underneath the roof. Oh and pushing the completion date to July could happen it doesn't MEAN it WILL happen.

OVG is experts at building arena and so is the group that is actually handling constructing of the arena. They know what they are doing. Once the foundation is in place, things will pick up at a much faster rate.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The NHL would have the team play one season in a temporary venue than delay the team's arrival by a year. Especially as the other owners might need some cash to pay back against the 2019-20 problems.

The arena should be done and open before 21-22 NHL season starts. So that won't be a problem. The most that could happen is we just don't host the 20-21 NHL entry draft.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Here is a 3 day old King 5 news video on the construction. No way this thing gets done.
Construction will continue on new Seattle Center arena amid coronavirus concerns

Yes it will. Work was stopped for 2 days so they can add more safety measures to deal with the virus outbreak per guidelines by the state and CDC. OVG is contractual by law to finish it. Work starts back up tomorrow. Once the rest of the foundation is poured and cured enough things will start picking up construction wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad