Is Montréal a SC Contender?

Krautso

Nov 30, 2007
Of course they're contenders. Favorites, no.

People like to complain about our scoring but 5v5 the team has been very solid and know how to grind out close games. They've also had some recent playoff success which is great experience. they also have Carey price.

All teams have warts, the posters here are a little hard on the guys following two tough losses. They're not perfect and never will be but this is a better team than last year so I'd say they are in the mix to do as well or better, which could land them in the SCF.

Go Habs

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
We have a good chance of winning a 7 game series against every other team in the East. So yes we are contenders, but like every other contender we'll need players to step up big time at key times, and get a little luck in order to do it 4 times in a row.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
we won 5 on the road against Florida, NJ, Carolina, NYI and a depleted Pittsburgh lineup. No real powerhouses here. Then come home and get outplayed except for 1 period in each game and lose both games and would of been more lopsided without Price. And once again no powerplay. no scoring except two goals from Patches. We are about in my opinion two reLly good forwards and two really good dmen and a really good coach.

We also beat LA, Vancouver and the NYI during our recent streak. The Habs can play with the big boys. This doesn't mean we're a dominant power, only that we're in that upper echelon of teams from where Cup winners emerge, sometimes by surprise. This isn't the "Anything can happen!" argument, because the truth is that the lower tier of playoff teams have practically no chance of going all the way. This is a realistic view that Montreal has the same small chance as most other contenders, where the difference between the top six or seven teams comes down to a hot streak, a bounce, and healthy players. In other words, the Habs would need luck to win the Cup, but outside of maybe Chicago, so would the other teams.

I guess I'm also a bit testy that so many people consider Nashville, Tampa and the NYI to be contenders, though none have proven anything beyond hot regular seasons. Before last year, the Habs were a team in desperate need of playoff credibility. They went out and earned some post-season respect, but now other teams like Tampa have pushed in front of us in the contender queue with a goalie who's never started a playoff game in his life. Bah humbug to that.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Whoever said yes are in for a rude awakening come the playoffs!! Lol
I'm die hard HABS fan my entire life but I'm also realistic, and no, Price will not win it on his own, maybe 2 rounds but that's where it's gonna come to a full stop.
Line 2 and 3

Desharnais-Plekanec-Parenteau
Bournival-Thomas-Weise

Like are we purposely trying to be the most minuscule team ever, this is a recipe for absolute ridicule!!

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
If we're a contender with Price, we're a contender.

And to the guy who was challenging Jack Todd: I hate JT as much as anyone, but he was absolutely right. He has no obligation to respond to one fan who is far too demanding simply due to the accessibility of social media. He owes no one anything. Good on him.

HEROES: Carey Price, Jack Todd, ZEROES: dmanfish90, Bud Selig, David Samson, Jeffrey Loria, Claude Brochu

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Any team that makes the playoffs is... but we still do need a few things. Getting closer and our young guys are growing more and more.

plodder

Jan 5, 2012
with a 3 period relentless team ,solid goaltending ,ability to beat the Bruins ,The STANLEY CUP is a reality

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I'll agree but I had very few characters left and didn't really wanna send a second tweet. But you're right.

The problem I had was his reaction was so like personal. He's a professional writer. He should act like one.

At what time did you tweet him? ( I'm asking because he could have already had a few drinks ;) )

I'm just curious how you think a professional writer should act?

You do realize that being a professional writer doesn't cover the interactive nature of twitter or social media. That we have direct access to writers, these days, is a privilege for us that the average person never had in the past and an added responsibility (if not a chore) some writers might actually view as anchors.

Holding up everyone to our personal standards for something outside their immediate job (perhaps employees, everywhere, should be given courses in how to respond on social media venues) would be impossible. There would be too many different standards by which everyone should act.

I'm not even a fan of Jack Todd but, it appears to me you are also taking your interaction with him personally.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If we're a contender with Price, we're a contender.

And to the guy who was challenging Jack Todd: I hate JT as much as anyone, but he was absolutely right. He has no obligation to respond to one fan who is far too demanding simply due to the accessibility of social media. He owes no one anything. Good on him.

HEROES: Carey Price, Jack Todd, ZEROES: dmanfish90, Bud Selig, David Samson, Jeffrey Loria, Claude Brochu

You also have to keep in mind that Twitter isn't exactly the medium through which one can/ought to make such an in depth explanation….

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I see the Habs having the same type of deliberate purpose throughout the organization that permeated the Stanley Cup Championship teams of their past. Their aim is firmly grounded on one goal once again, win the Stanley Cup no other outcome will appease this group, from Bergevin - Therrien - the players are all of one mind they will not be denied of reaching their goal, IMHO.:handclap::handclap::handclap: Go Habs Go!!!....:nod:

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Too many deficiencies to consider the Habs part of the Elite. There is not enough depth in the lineup, especially up front. Aside from Pacioretty no one is capable of scoring on a consistent basis. We need two more wingers to fix this mess. And, the D depth needs to improve. Emelin-Gilbert wont cut it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad