Is Montréal a SC Contender?

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
Are the Habs a Stanley Cup contending team this year?

We've been blown out (loss by 3 goals or more) by the likes of Chicago, Tampa Bay (twice), Dallas, New York Rangers, and Calgary. We've lost to Buffalo and Edmonton and the wins that we do have are mostly within two goals, with some wins we've blown out MIN, WPG, BOS, PHI, DET, STL, LAK, CAR, OTT, PIT.

Maybe it's just me but are we genuine contenders?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Strong playoff contenders. Not yet SC worthy.

With an improved PP and a deadline scorer I'd suggest were in the running.But hardly a favorite.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
He called me TB fan because I disagreed with his opinion of the Habs and I think I was being a bit more realistic about them.

So what is he then? An *******?
Sorry I didnt understand, I thought you called him an idiot because he said the bolded part ,you are right!! :laugh:

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
Sorry I didnt understand, I thought you called him an idiot because he said the bolded part ,you are right!! :laugh:

Yeah.

Jack Todd thinks that the Habs are genuine contenders in spite of Price's outstanding play. He disagrees with Friedman, Kypreos and the rest of HNIC that the Habs are legit.

I called him out on it.

It's really not the case. We're a top 6 forward and a legit Top 4 defensive defenseman (Josh Gorges) away from being a SC contender.

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
Goalie is part of the team. LA probably don't win the Cup without Quick.

Actually, they made the playoffs last year IN SPITE of his average SV% and somehow extremely low GAA (a comment on that GAA is largely affected by team play and SV% is a truer judgement of a goalie's individual play).

Don't compare LA, CHI to the Habs.

Everyone who knows hockey knows that no matter who came out of MTL/NYR wasn't beating CHI or LAK last year.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Of course we are, we have great chances of going in the SCF, makes us contenders.

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
Let's put it this way.

AS OF RIGHT NOW, in order to make it to the SCF, we would have to beat each of the following team's in a 7-game series:

Detroit
Tampa Bay
1 of (the most likely scenarios) NYI, PIT, NYR

Does everyone believe this is entirely possible, with each team being reasonably healthy?

Nynja*

With Therrien giving preferential treatment to his BFFL's and a powerplay so bad, the opposing team gets more chances short handed...no

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The Habs could get to the SCF if they (or someone else) upset the Lightning. They need further bolstering. The Vanek experiment ended unhappily but perhaps Bergevin could find someone who looked just as good as Vebk on paper and even better on the ice.

Sir Jacques Demers

May 5, 2006
Yes.

The only thing that could seriously hurt us compared to last year is if whatever trade-deadline acquisitions we make don't gel with the lineup as well as Weaver and Weiss did last year.

We're 2 players away from being among the favorites for a cup, but we're definitely still a contender if Bergevin decides to make only "mild" moves at the deadline.

Unrelated:
Jagr :scared:

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
The Habs are " as of right now" a contender for a cup IF IF IF nobody gets hurt ( like Price ) and IF IF IF all the planets align properly. Habs can dominate but only a few times in a game NOT all the time. Habs are 3 years into MB's 5 year plan. Habs are getting better EVERY year. Almost there but just short for now. Look ahead and give Bergervin another off season to dump and trade. ( I would like to see MTL meet NYR and Accidentally on Purpose take out King Henrik in the first shift of the series with NO penalty.)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
To be a legitimate Cup contender, you need to believe you could win the East. And for that to happen, you need to believe you could beat TBay. I don't believe we can this year. Of course, if everybody falls and we're playing Boston, yes we can go to the Cup. And if in the West eveybody falls and we're playing San Jose, well yes we can win the Cup. But in an analysis like that, you have to go with the most likely scenarios. And you also have to think that this team is more than Carey Price. Our depth in offense isn't good enough. Our defense is mediocre. Carey can probably be the reason why we could move to the Eastern Finals but there's a limit he can do. And having said that.....while it will probably happen this year, Carey do not have a record to show for in the playoffs just yet. Winning 1 great round against Boston is not enough to give him that record. Mind you...he's the LEAST of our problems.....I believe he will finally put his name on a great playoffs run so we could move on from that aspect. But it's still not done. And if he's just good....we're not even a contender to get out of the 1st round....

I still don't like the composition of this team. So I can't have them contenders for anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad