Is Miles Wood faster than McDavid?

Is Miles Wood faster than McDavid?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
A good chunk of people don't even know who he is and underrate him like hell.

Straight line:Yes, Wood is quicker

With a puck: Leaning McDavid here

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Oh great, another person that views all-star skills competitions as a barometer for skills. I like to, you know, actually watch real hockey games to make my opinions, but go ahead and use that if you want. Next thing you're going to tell me is that Kendall Coyne is faster than Keller lol
Ah yes, the who cares what can be proved, in my opinion someone is "soooooooooo much faster" so therefor they are "sooooo much faster"

You have no way of knowing if "Mcdavid is the fastest player ever" and the evidence we have have available suggest that he's not
and you're over here like
"well that makes my asinine opinion wrong so it doesn't count because I watch games and in the games i watch he's zipping around like the flash and everybody else is plodding around like roman f***ing polak or Mattias Norstrom"
That is also you're problem here, you're forming opinions instead of going with the facts.
Facts are he's not the fastest player ever

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Surprised by the results. I think Miles Wood is quite clearly faster.

Are people mixing "best skater" up with "fastest skater" or something?

At least, McDavid doesn't have any sample I've seen that is as fast as Miles Wood in several separate samples I have, and the margin for error is minimal because the difference isn't even that small.

Reactions: illpucks
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Ah yes, the who cares what can be proved, in my opinion someone is "soooooooooo much faster" so therefor they are "sooooo much faster"

You have no way of knowing if "Mcdavid is the fastest player ever" and the evidence we have have available suggest that he's not
and you're over here like
"well that makes my asinine opinion wrong so it doesn't count because I watch games and in the games i watch he's zipping around like the flash and everybody else is plodding around like roman ****ing polak or Mattias Norstrom"
That is also you're problem here, you're forming opinions instead of going with the facts.
Facts are he's not the fastest player ever

You can go by all-star skills results if you want. What about the other 95% of the NHL players who aren't at the skills comp? I agree with you that "You have no way of knowing if "Mcdavid is the fastest player ever"", that's what an opinion is. In my opinion he is. This opinion is shared by many others as well. There are some 4th liners, or AHLers (like Greco) who have insane wheels, but we can never really quantify the argument with analysis because some of the analysis does not exist. That's why I think it is silly to go with All-Star skills competition results to base an opinion. You're allowed to, I just don't think it's an accurate set of data, based on the fact that most players don't even compete. Fastest player also does not necessarily mean "fastest person to complete one lap of the ice", like they do in the skills comp.

I find it funny though, because my opinion that McDavid is the fastest is the majority, yet you're trying to say I'm wrong by tossing out something that was done in the AHL skills comp. How do we know the cones were in the exact same precise location in both events? We don't, therefore the data collected from these events is not necessarily accurate at all. But sure man, Anthony Greco is the fastest player ever, the skills comp says so!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You can go by all-star skills results if you want. What about the other 95% of the NHL players who aren't at the skills comp? I agree with you that "You have no way of knowing if "Mcdavid is the fastest player ever"", that's what an opinion is. In my opinion he is. This opinion is shared by many others as well. There are some 4th liners, or AHLers (like Greco) who have insane wheels, but we can never really quantify the argument with analysis because some of the analysis does not exist. That's why I think it is silly to go with All-Star skills competition results to base an opinion. You're allowed to, I just don't think it's an accurate set of data, based on the fact that most players don't even compete. Fastest player also does not necessarily mean "fastest person to complete one lap of the ice", like they do in the skills comp.

I find it funny though, because my opinion that McDavid is the fastest is the majority, yet you're trying to say I'm wrong by tossing out something that was done in the AHL skills comp. How do we know the cones were in the exact same precise location in both events? We don't, therefore the data collected from these events is not necessarily accurate at all. But sure man, Anthony Greco is the fastest player ever, the skills comp says so!
Look, just think about this. Is Jack Eichel really your go-to when you think of a player able to whip out a breakaway out of nowhere with his skating? No, you'll think about Grabner, Byron, Wood etc.

The reality is that my samples have Wood at ~5% faster than McDavid. And all star skating even misses the point, at least if we're talking about straight-line skating instead of an agility course(we all know McDavid would be the best at those). Those long-winded, lengthy turns have nothing to do with an NHL match. It even only measures your turning speed in one direction - It should at the very least be an 8 to be able to be taken seriously. But in that case, again, it becomes an agility course which isn't what this is about.

In straightline skating I honestly have great difficulty believing McDavid's faster than Wood, I have so many samples of McDavid and he's faster in none.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Look, just think about this. Is Jack Eichel really your go-to when you think of a player able to whip out a breakaway out of nowhere with his skating? No, you'll think about Grabner, Byron, Wood etc.

The reality is that my samples have Wood at ~5% faster than McDavid. And all star skating even misses the point, at least if we're talking about straight-line skating instead of an agility course(we all know McDavid would be the best at those). Those long-winded, lengthy turns have nothing to do with an NHL match. It even only measures your turning speed in one direction - It should at the very least be an 8 to be able to be taken seriously. But in that case, again, it becomes an agility course which isn't what this is about.

In straightline skating I honestly have great difficulty believing McDavid's faster than Wood, I have so many samples of McDavid and he's faster in none.

I don't really think I've seen someone skate faster in a straight line than Wood.

Reactions: illpucks

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Straight line without the puck, yes. He probably is the fastest straight line skater in the league. But when it comes to agility or skating with the puck it’s McDavid AINEC.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Miles Wood is the fastest straight line skater in the league, puck or no puck - but overall skating no

Last edited by a moderator:

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
It's close, but with the puck its McDavid ainec.
thats literally untrue and there is evidence stating otherwise

I saw it on HF a few years back, something about frames per second blueline to blueline with the puck

Last edited by a moderator:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Straight line without the puck, yes. He probably is the fastest straight line skater in the league. But when it comes to agility or skating with the puck it’s McDavid AINEC.

I don't know why people keep saying this. The examples everyone is referring to Wood has the puck. The difference is McDavid is better at weaving his way through multiple defenders..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad