Is Mikko Rantanen the best player in NHL at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Rantanen is one season removed of being a 30-point player. Let him at least establish himself as a true first line player before crowning him as the best player in the NHL.

Sorry he didn't put up 80+ as a rookie on a historically awful Avs team.

He did lead the team in goals though.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
A better question would be...
Is Mikko Rantanen the best player on the Avalanche?
The correct answer to that would still be No.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Complete opposite spectrum of teams though, put McDavid on either Avs or Lightning and guaranteed hes the leading scorer.

He still seems to get lot of time with Drai, or RNH.

Mack& Rants are playing some insane hockey currently and are a massive reason for why their team is where it is.
(this isn't to say Rants is the best player in the league).

Reactions: cgf and CLW

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Complete opposite spectrum of teams though, put McDavid on either Avs or Lightning and guaranteed hes the leading scorer.
Eh - maybe not. He's not getting 22 minutes a night in Tampa, at least.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He still seems to get lot of time with Drai, or RNH.

Mack& Rants are playing some insane hockey currently and are a massive reason for why their team is where it is.
(this isn't to say Rants is the best player in the league).
Until someone else wins a couple scoring titles, McDavid is the default best player, even if he isn't leading the league.

MacKinnon has 3 less points since the beginning of last season, while playing 7 less games, and people freak out when someone mentions MacKinnon being better than McDavid, even if he has better stats.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
They are all terrific players, each with different high end skill sets. Each team is damn lucky to have the player they have. This conversation over who is better inevitably loses sight of that. But I'll just say I'd take two of the players in this conversation over any one of them.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I'd say that MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Kucherov are all CURRENTLY better than McDavid.

This is ridiculous and will be ridiculous by the end of the year when mcdavid passes everyone by.

Do you know how many times in the last two years in these months people said stamkos and Kucherov were better and everyone who is in front right now, it’s ridiculous

Both those guys aren’t better then mcdavid, because both has another guy “better then mcdavid” to play with.

How much better would mcdavid he if he had a player bettenthe him to play with?

That’s why Mackinnon and rantanen are not both playing better.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean - y'all know that MacKinnon and Rantanen aren't going to finish with 14% on ice shooting percentage, right?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean - y'all know that MacKinnon and Rantanen aren't going to finish with 14% on ice shooting percentage, right?

Mack is shooting 3% higher than he did last year, but also shooting way more than average(on pace for like 354 shots this year). If he was to shoot at 300 shots at 13% that put him at 39 goals this year. I think it's fair to say he hits 45 goals or so this year.

Mikko's shooting 2% higher than his career average and on pace for 180 shots. At his career average he's on pace for 28 goals. Also incredibly reasonable.

I know this isn't the same as OISH% but both their shooting stats aren't too out of whack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce