Is Mika Zibanejad a top 10 C in the NHL?

Is Mika Zibanejad a top 10 C in the NHL?

• Total voters

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He put Barzal above Zibby NOW. He didn't say this is a futures ranking. Barzal in his prime will be much better than Zibby but he's not there yet.

The biggest difference between Zibanejad and Barzal when it comes to production is on the PP. At ES, over the past two seasons Zibanejad has 43 and 29 points, respectively, while Barzal has 48 and 32, respectively. On the PP, Zibanejad has an elite player in Panarin to run the PP, while Barzal has no such luxury.

So I'd argue that there's merit to Barzal being better. Zibanejad's the better goal scorer, but I think Barzal's the better overall offensive player.

Reactions: Voight

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I preach moving Kravtsov to center on the Rangers board like a Jehovah's Witness.
I mean, what are the odds that’s going to happen and will he be able to establish himself before Zib is due. The latter point seems especially unlikely

Reactions: Voight

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
No order:

McDavid
Crosby
Draisaitl
MacK
Matthews
Bergeron
Barkov
Aho
Kopitar
Backstrom

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Too inconsistent for me to be a top ten center

When hot though he certainly can tally the points; I think Panarin has that affect on people though and enhances Mika's game on the PP

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't understand these posts saying Zibanejad isn't close to top 10. In a supposed down year he was T11 in points and T5 in goals among centers. Who are these 15-20 centers better than Zibanejad?

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
There are a fair number of phenomenal centers in this league. I don't have too difficult a time naming ten who are above Zibanejad. IMO, putting Zib in a league-wide top 10 probably means there's a bit of Ranger bias slipping in there. I would think most people would have him ranked around 11-15, though I don't see it as insulting or anything if people have him ranked 16-20. That second group of 10 centers are tougher to evaluate. It depends on the skill set you happen to value. Anyone who has him ranked lower than ~20 just has an axe to grind against the Rangers.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He was a top 10 contender. But his results are lacking the required consistency on a year to year basis to get consideration.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't understand these posts saying Zibanejad isn't close to top 10. In a supposed down year he was T11 in points and T5 in goals among centers. Who are these 15-20 centers better than Zibanejad?

It's been known that there's a lot of people who are in denial in regards to the seriousness of covid. Heck, even after more than a year, there's still people who think it's just the flu and only affects old people.

Mika had it and mot likely needed time to properly recover. He had 1 goals 2 assists in his first 15 games. Since then, 23 goals, 24 assists, 47 points in 41 games... which is a 46 goals, 48 assists, 94 points pace over 82 games...

So, since February 20th, Mika is 7th in pts for the whole NHL, 5th among centers... and Leon doesn't even play Center full time.

NHL Stats

If we want to look for a longer period of time, since Zibanejad has broken out in 2018-19, so even including, his covid recovery, Zibanejad is 10th in points among centers. Guys that outscored him are McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Matthews, Scheifele, Barkov, Crosby, Aho and Pointt... so a few generational players and superstars. Zibanejad is an tier below but probaby in the same as Aho, Point. Even in PPG, he's 11th

The thing is if he was just an offensive player, I'd understand but the guy is also a beast defensively and a top PKer. If he's not a top-10 Center, he's pretty damn close. That's why I voted top-10 because I see him as 11th/12th, could have voted "Just barely missing out" for more accuracy

keglu

Jul 11, 2014

PPG he is currently 17th. I quess he is considered better than few above him (Pavelski, Trocheck) but below him there are few that are considered better (Malkin,Eichel, Point, maybe EP) So in the end around Top 20
Also i think most dont consider his season down year. They treat his previous season as outlier.

Reactions: Goomba

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
lol Barzal?

Over the last 3 seasons:

Mika - 90G / 104A / 194P in 188 games (1.03 PPG)
Barzal - 50G / 111 A / 161P in 198 games (.81 PPG)

It's not even close.
Nobody in their right mind is taking Mika 'needs Panarin to score PPG' Zibanejad over Barzal who scores near PPG on the most defensive team in the NHL, and is a top-3 transition player

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Nobody in their right mind is taking Mika 'needs Panarin to score PPG' Zibanejad over Barzal who scores near PPG on the most defensive team in the NHL, and is a top-3 transition player
Lmao at knowing absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. He doesnt play on the same long as him and never has at ES :laugh:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

Oh look, you don't know what you're talking about in another Ranger thread....they don't play on the same line and never have with any kind of regularity.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
PPG he is currently 17th. I quess he is considered better than few above him (Pavelski, Trocheck) but below him there are few that are considered better (Malkin,Eichel, Point, maybe EP) So in the end around Top 20
Also i think most dont consider his season down year. They treat his previous season as outlier.

Three elite seasons is at outlier? Seems like you just haven’t adjusted your opinion yet for his current level of play.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Three elite seasons is at outlier? Seems like you just haven’t adjusted your opinion yet for his current level of play.

No,
1.3 PPG season - outlier
0,9 PPG season - expected performance

Sub 1 PPG does not put him in TOP 10 center category.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'd say he's just barely missing the top ten but more so because of inconsistency. Talent-wise he's top 5 and as bonus, he's got arguably the best hockey hair :thumbu:.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
No,
1.3 PPG season - outlier
0,9 PPG season - expected performance

Sub 1 PPG does not put him in TOP 10 center category.

Even if that season is an outlier, which is flawed without context, how is T11 in points, T6 in goals not close to a top 10 center?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad