Is Mika Zibanejad a top 10 C in the NHL?

Is Mika Zibanejad a top 10 C in the NHL?

• Total voters

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Well he basically has half his goals in 3 games this season ( 9 of 19). Regardless of Covid he is a very streaky player and not as consistent as a top 5 centreman. His play mirror the Rangers; some games look like one of the best in the league and then no shows the next game.
Maybe but last season he was dominant from game 1 until the covid break, with a pretty serious injury sandwiched in between. He opened the season with 8 points in 2 games, hurt his neck, missed 15 games, took a couple games to get his swag back and then started beasting again. I believe his is a bit fragile but when he’s fully healthy he’s a monster.
I’m not arguing he’s top 5 there are so many great Cs out there but he’s definitely elite

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Against the sabres flyers and devils he is.

If you look at the numbers, he's getting more shots per game against the other teams (3 vs. 2.73). The difference is that he's shooting 22% against the teams below the Rangers in the standings, and 6% against the teams above the Rangers in the standings. Some of that is due to that better teams stop the puck at a higher rate, but such a big disparity is mostly just random luck. Thats going to happen during the course of a season. I don't know why anyone would focus on it.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
If you look at the numbers, he's getting more shots per game against the other teams (3 vs. 2.73). The difference is that he's shooting 22% against the teams below the Rangers in the standings, and 6% against the teams above the Rangers in the standings. Some of that is due to that better teams stop the puck at a higher rate, but such a big disparity is mostly just random luck. Thats going to happen during the course of a season. I don't know why anyone would focus on it.

He's just randomly unlucky vs the good teams?

Islanders - 3 points in 6 games
Boston - 2 points in 6 games
Caps - 4 points in 6 games
Pit - 2 points in 8 games

Actually, you are right that does look like random luck to me too.

Reactions: Voight

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
And last year when he wasn't playing those three teams as much? I'm sure Barzal doesn't do better against bad teams as does every player in the NHL.

Yeah the divisional format has just brought the trolls out this season. No different than McDavid clowning a few North teams and people making excuses. You play who you play, it's not like he alone plays those teams and no one else in the division has a chance to pile up points.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah the divisional format has just brought the trolls out this season. No different than McDavid clowning a few North teams and people making excuses. You play who you play, it's not like he alone plays those teams and no one else in the division has a chance to pile up points.

No one makes the argument if you have some good defensive teams in the division and play them a high percentage of the time.

Reactions: North Cole

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well they lost 6-1...

Thx for the lesson on how to watch a game though.

Well, the way you worded it gave that impression. Maybe you know how to watch a game or not, it wouldn't surprise me either way. A lot of hockey fans have very little understanding of the game. That's what I have learned in the last few decades

Heck, just last week I read that "team defense" has no effect on a goalie's save percentage.

Ok, so
2017-2018 he was (0.66). 30+ at the center position
2018-2019 he was (0.90). 25th at the center position
2019-20 (1.32 PPG) 6th at the center position. With that being said he was ahead of guys like Crosby and others who he is clearly not better than
20120-21 (0.91) PPG) 12 at the center position.

First things first PPG is not the only thing you should use to judge a player by.

Second, since you love PPG 3 of these last 4 years he's been under 1.0. You really consider that being top 10?

Lastly, let's check where he finishes at the end of the season. His last 6 games are against isles, bruins, and caps. Below is how he has been doing so far against them (I also added in Pit the other playoff team). I'm curious to see where he ends up.

Islanders - 3 points in 6 games
Boston - 2 points in 6 games
Caps - 4 points in 6 games
Pit - 2 points in 8 games

Side note. Since he's top 10 in your eyes. what does your top 10 look like?

OBVIOUSLY, I was asking how he fared vs all teams the 2 seasons prior to this one. Since there was no special division thing the last 2 years, how come he was able to produce big numbers? May I remind you that it was YOUR initial argument, i.e he was feasting on weaker teams.

So why are you talking about 2017-18 and 2020-21?

You're not even subtle at moving the goal posts lol

First things first PPG is not the only thing you should use to judge a player by.

Ok, so what are you trying to tell me here? Of course, PPG is a statistical calculation that reflects the level of production vs the number of games played. In other news, the sky is blue during the day

I never said it was the only thing to judge a player on... My post was not very long and did not contain these words.

So what else do you want to analyze? Possession? Defensive stats? Scoring chances quality? What else? I'm quite comfortable with advanced stats

You really consider that being top 10?

And where did I argue about that? I asked you a very simple question, are you able to read and answer or I should forget about it?

I'll ask it again in the shortest form possible :

What about 2018-19 and 2019-20? Was it also because of weak opposition?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2012
he has the potential to be, but he isn't and hasn't proven it beyond last season/ his streak this year. if he maintained that play for 82, he's top 10.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Well, the way you worded it gave that impression. Maybe you know how to watch a game or not, it wouldn't surprise me either way. A lot of hockey fans have very little understanding of the game. That's what I have learned in the last few decades

Heck, just last week I read that "team defense" has no effect on a goalie's save percentage.

OBVIOUSLY, I was asking how he fared vs all teams the 2 seasons prior to this one. Since there was no special division thing the last 2 years, how come he was able to produce big numbers? May I remind you that it was YOUR initial argument, i.e he was feasting on weaker teams.

So why are you talking about 2017-18 and 2020-21?

You're not even subtle at moving the goal posts lol

Ok, so what are you trying to tell me here? Of course, PPG is a statistical calculation that reflects the level of production vs the number of games played. In other news, the sky is blue during the day

I never said it was the only thing to judge a player on... My post was not very long and did not contain these words.

So what else do you want to analyze? Possession? Defensive stats? Scoring chances quality? What else? I'm quite comfortable with advanced stats

And where did I argue about that? I asked you a very simple question, are you able to read and answer or I should forget about it?

I'll ask it again in the shortest form possible :

What about 2018-19 and 2019-20? Was it also because of weak opposition?

Why do you keep bringing 2018 - 2019. HE was 25th in centers in PPG. You know that 25th isn't top 10 right? Not even close. If I were you I would stop using that as part of your argument.

2019-2020 he had a great year. His point totals had him top 10 in scoring for all centers. His goal totals were very impressive. Are you happy? His overall numbers were also above guys like Crosby. There are times that a player can outscore another player without being better. Heck, look at Strome. The Guys got more points than Point and Bergeron and many others. Is Zib better than Crosby? Strome over Point?

The way I am looking at the situation is when 3 of Zibs last 4 years he has been under a PPG including THIS year. Last year he finished at 1.3. I watch him play often not sure how much you are watching of him in Canada. He is not a 1.3 PPG player. I know all you care about is last year but you should watch a few games this year. The Rangers have 6 games left I think you should watch a few of them. I can give you my MSG go login and you can actually watch the games if you need to.

.65 PPG
.90 PPG
1.31 PPG
.91 PPG - Think this may drop.

Lastly, you do understand I can see what you voted in the poll right? YOU voted zib was top 10 hahaha. Why are you trying to deny it now? I asked you a simple question. What does your top 10 look like?

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
They actually might not be able to. Trouba might earn his bloated contract by preventing a worse Zibanejad contract.
I doubt it. Buchnevich seems like he's the odd man out. From the outside, they sort of need Zibanejad with their current center depth both on the team and in the system.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I doubt it. Buchnevich seems like he's the odd man out. From the outside, they sort of need Zibanejad with their current center depth both on the team and in the system.
I preach moving Kravtsov to center on the Rangers board like a Jehovah's Witness.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No. Center in the NHL is just such a stacked position. There’s no reasonable argument to put him above any of the top 10 guys imo.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Why do you keep bringing 2018 - 2019. HE was 25th in centers in PPG. You know that 25th isn't top 10 right? Not even close. If I were you I would stop using that as part of your argument.

2019-2020 he had a great year. His point totals had him top 10 in scoring for all centers. His goal totals were very impressive. Are you happy? His overall numbers were also above guys like Crosby. There are times that a player can outscore another player without being better. Heck, look at Strome. The Guys got more points than Point and Bergeron and many others. Is Zib better than Crosby? Strome over Point?

The way I am looking at the situation is when 3 of Zibs last 4 years he has been under a PPG including THIS year. Last year he finished at 1.3. I watch him play often not sure how much you are watching of him in Canada. He is not a 1.3 PPG player. I know all you care about is last year but you should watch a few games this year. The Rangers have 6 games left I think you should watch a few of them. I can give you my MSG go login and you can actually watch the games if you need to.

.65 PPG
.90 PPG
1.31 PPG
.91 PPG - Think this may drop.

Lastly, you do understand I can see what you voted in the poll right? YOU voted zib was top 10 hahaha. Why are you trying to deny it now? I asked you a simple question. What does your top 10 look like?

1) Why 2018-19 and 2019-20? Simply because that's when Zibanejad reached another level at 25 & 26 y/o. I think most hockey fans are aware of this. Still no idea why you would bring up 2017-18 again and again as it was before he became a 1st line Center.

2) I have no idea why you come up with 25th in 2018-19 as I was talking about 2018-19 & 2019-20 cumulated. In that period, he was 10th for PPG among centers for. But anyway, it's not even the point of why I have quoted you.

NHL Stats

3) I don't need your msg login lol, Do you think Canada is a poor country and we don't have access to nice things? I had NHL Center Ice like 15 years ago. Don't really need it anymore because my TV package already gives me a very wide coverage, including a lot of NYR games. I also don't really need to work, I have plenty of time to watch hockey games even if I have a lot of people and things to take care of. I have seen plenty of Zibanejad games in NY and almost every game he played in Ottawa.

4) I'm not trying to DENY what I have voted in the poll... but I am NOT talking about that in this very discussion... You're still... not understanding?

5) so you just used 272 words and still managed to avoid the very simple question I have asked you?

At this point I'm just continuing because I'm kinda curious at how ridiculous it can become

So again, I am going to ask you a very simple question since you made this statement :

"The NHL no. Though playing Buffalo, Flyers ,devils 24 times sure makes it seam like it. Top 5 even."

Since Zibanejad had a better PPG for 2018-19 and 2019-20 CUMULATED than this 2020-21 season, was it also because of weak opposition?

I have no idea how you could still not understand the question...

Last edited:

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
yes let's look at the stats when Barzal was 20 years old vs. when Zib was hitting his prime at 24

He put Barzal above Zibby NOW. He didn't say this is a futures ranking. Barzal in his prime will be much better than Zibby but he's not there yet.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Pretty sure when asking if the player is top 10 that is asking if the player is top 10. Not sure how cap hit makes him a better player on the ice.
It doesn't when comparing him with other C's. However, if I can have the 12th (for arguments sake) best C in the league for a $5.35MM cap hit vs Tavares at $11MM, Eichel at $10MM, or Kopitar at $10MM at this point, I'll take Zibanejad at $5.35MM and leave me more to improve the rest of the team.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
It doesn't when comparing him with other C's. However, if I can have the 12th (for arguments sake) best C in the league for a $5.35MM cap hit vs Tavares at $11MM, Eichel at $10MM, or Kopitar at $10MM at this point, I'll take Zibanejad at $5.35MM and leave me more to improve the rest of the team.

Things should change though at the end of next year when his contract is up. For now though I gotta agree with you that his cap hit is great currently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad