Is McDavid overachieving due to division reallignment?

Select the best answer about McDavid

• Total voters

illpucks

May 26, 2011
He is torching the league but are his point totals impacted by being in the north division? If he played in another division would he be leading in points?

**i meant leading in points as he hasn't won ross yet but i can't edit poll q

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
The North isn't the best division, but it's not as bad as some make it out to be. OTT is really the only terrible team in the division and isn't the worst team in the League (BUF is). If he was in a different division, he might torch BUF or DET instead of OTT.

The guy has finished first or second in NHL scoring in each of the last four years. Last year he wasn't at 100%; I'm not sure Draisaitl would have outscored him if he had been. With Kucherov out for the season, he was going to win the Art Ross no matter what this year.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I actually think he’d be doing this anyway.

Is the average night in the North easier than the average night in a normal regular season? I don’t think so.

You’re not playing the top teams from other divisions but there’s also only one bottom team in there. I think it evens out.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He'd still win the Art Ross, but feasting on teams like Ottawa helps too

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
He would lead the league in scoring but his totals wouldn’t be nearly as high if they were playing the upper echelon teams in the league

Reactions: EdJovanovski

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
He'd still win the Art Ross, but feasting on teams like Ottawa helps too

If you take out his games vs Ottawa he's still ahead of anyone except Draisaitl. If you give him 7 random divisional games he's still the only guy in the league above 50 points.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He would lead the league in scoring but his totals wouldn’t be nearly as high if they were playing the upper echelon teams in the league

I bet his points would be even higher in the Pacific or the West this year.

He would absolutely shred some of those teams. His game is on an even higher level than it’s ever been.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I mean... maybe has 5-6 more points because of the divison? Hes still playing against teams that made the playoffs last summer. Other than Ottawa none are "bad" really.

Reactions: Zamknij kurwa ryj

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
he would still obviously win the Art Ross but in a regular year vs everyone i dont think he is scoring at this rate.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I bet his points would be even higher in the Pacific or the West this year.

He would absolutely shred some of those teams. His game is on an even higher level than it’s ever been.

This is probably true, but we can't know for sure.

That being said, his point totals from this year are pretty similar to his point totals from last... I have no reason to believe he'd be doing worse than he is now in a regular season. If I were a betting man I think he'd being doing the same or better, but we certainly have reliable data that shows it's unlikely he'd be doing worse.

By the eye test he is playing a lot better than last year as well to be honest.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This is probably true, but we can't know for sure.

That being said, his point totals from this year are pretty similar to his point totals from last... I have no reason to believe he'd be doing worse than he is now in a regular season. If I were a betting man I think he'd being doing the same or better, but we certainly have reliable data that shows it's unlikely he'd be doing worse.

By the eye test he is playing a lot better than last year as well to be honest.

He also last year was coming off a pretty horrific knee injury that was underreported in the media. He had torn ligaments from that Giordano trip into the net.

But yeah, he’s playing far and away the best hockey of his career. Especially defensively, he’s become a two way force and he’s actually generating a lot of offence from his defensive zone play.

He’s so obviously the best player by a wide margin. The gap between him and Draisaitl/MacKinnon is only widening. He’s really taken his game to another level.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Overachieving. Of course it’s an illpucks poll.

Guy is a generational player. And you’re saying he’s overachieving?

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He's below ppg against the Sabres in his career, last point in March 2019.

Last year they weren't the absolute train wreck they are this year.

I'm sure he would destroy that team this season. There's really no reason to think so other than your personal dislike for the player.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
he's .4ppg above his career average this year. Not buying this is a coincidence unless he does it again next year. Obviously he could beat everybody else regardless of what division he was in, but not like this.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
he's .4ppg above his career average this year. Not buying this is a coincidence unless he does it again next year. Obviously he could beat everybody else regardless of what division he was in, but not like this.

Bizarre way to look at this.

First 168 games of his career (2015-2016 through first 41 games of 2017-2018), he had 194 points for a 1.155 career PPG. Started out “slow” before ramping up like even Gretzky and Mario did (slow for their even higher standards to come).

Clearly turned a corner at that point.

Last 41 games of 2017-2018 through present day.

335 points in 217 games for a 1.544 PPG.

This season is much closer to representing who he has been for the last 3+ years than his rookie season and another season and half.

And as mentioned before, he has a whopping 3 points more in the same number of games compared to the same point last season.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Bizarre way to look at this.

First 168 games of his career (2015-2016 through first 41 games of 2017-2018), he had 194 points for a 1.155 career PPG.

Clearly turned a corner at that point.

Last 41 games of 2017-2018 through present day.

335 points in 217 games for a 1.544 PPG.

This season is much closer to representing who he has been for the last 3+ years than his rookie season and another season and half.

And as mentioned before, he has a whopping 3 points more in the same number of games compared to the same point last season.

He's .24 ppg above last year which was his highest to that point. That's a big jump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad