Is McDavid more comparable to Kane/Sedin/Benn than Crosby/Malkin?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
He could fly I just don't think that he could as well as Connor. That said he was a hell of a player and a two way beast.

Ah, but the two-way game came about during the mid to late 90's. That early MM could fly. Would be hard to say who is the better skater, but it wasn't Modano who broke Gartner's record so I tend to agree with you.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ah, but the two-way game came about during the mid to late 90's. That early MM could fly. Would be hard to say who is the better skater, but it wasn't Modano who broke Gartner's record so I tend to agree with you.

It just goes to show you how fast the kid is. There have been many speedsters in the last 20+ years but he's at the top IMO, then you add in his skill and it's almost unfair.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
It just goes to show you how fast the kid is. There have been many speedsters in the last 20+ years but he's at the top IMO, then you add in his skill and it's almost unfair.

Oh, I don't disagree at all. I have made it a point to go and watch him play live. Pretty crazy stuff. Amazing, really.

Haha. That video of his teammates trying to keep up is classic.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Oh, I don't disagree at all. I have made it a point to go and watch him play live. Pretty crazy stuff. Amazing, really.

Haha. That video of his teammates trying to keep up is classic.

Yeah I hope to get up to Edmonton t see him live one of these days.

Yeah, they didn't have a hope in hell!

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Oh. You gotta. It is a sight to see him skate. :D

The game is always so different live. That's why most kids today think that Gretzky wouldn't be able to hang because the game has changed so much. It hasn't. Watching live? The game hasn't changed all that much since the 80's when I became a fan.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Oh. You gotta. It is a sight to see him skate. :D

The game is always so different live. That's why most kids today think that Gretzky wouldn't be able to hang because the game has changed so much. It hasn't. Watching live? The game hasn't changed all that much since the 80's when I became a fan.

I have no doubt that Gretz or Lemieux would still smash the modern game. If Connor stays healthy he maybe the closest thing to those players that this generation sees.

jason1919spezza

Mar 14, 2009
Ottawa, ONT, Canada
Why are people glorifying and damage-controlling Crosby and Malkin all the time when it comes to their injury seasons lol.

Those two players being injury prone (and for Malkin, being inconsistent in his production) are part of their career. Crosby LOST his peak due to concussions. That’s just part of who he is as a player, and missing a defining peak is huge when determining a player.

From the amount of Crosby/Malkin threads (especially in recent years), you can tell that majority of people in this forum are penguins fanboys/fangirls, but stop justifying injured seasons as if it doesn’t count or doesn’t mean much.

The only time when people should give extra credit to a player is when he missed a significant amount of games/seasons due to war time or politics. Like Hasek for example.

And as for the thread, he is better than Crosby and Malkin now. Peak/prime is way too early to tell.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
No he couldn't. Modano wasn't close to being the league's fastest skater. He looked fast...skated pretty fast in a straight line with a puck but wasn't anywhere near McDavid fast.

No way we'll ever know, now will we?

One good idea I DO have is that each team hold their own skills competition and then from there make it an All-Star event - even if they are NOT selected. Make that a separate thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad