Is McDavid more comparable to Kane/Sedin/Benn than Crosby/Malkin?

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
By this I mean is McDavid more a middle of the pack great player rather than hands down no questions asked "Best player in the world".

Kane, Sedin, Perry, St. Louis, Benn are all great players with Art Ross's and Hart's under their belts but only really keeping that #1 pace for one or maybe two of their seasons. Kane is the only exception with playoff success, but without a complete team around them, they end up being just really good players.

Where Crosby and Malkin outside of injury years, consistently dominate and are always no questions asked in the top 5 players in the world and obviously Crosby being the consistent #1.

Obviously it is still early in his career but so many people put him on this pedestal very prematurely. I think we've seen enough of this season to know what the Oilers really are and maybe, just maybe, McDavid is more like Tavares/Stamkos or any of the above players where we know he is awesome, but he is not and may not ever be the best without a ton more help on his team.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Obviously it is still early in his career but so many people put him on this pedestal very prematurely. I think we've seen enough of this season to know what the Oilers really are and maybe, just maybe, McDavid is more like Tavares/Stamkos or any of the above players where we know he is awesome, but he is not and may not ever be the best without a ton more help on his team.

Agree - after last year I think people pumped him up waaay too much. Got to give the kid a few seasons before throwing out the comparisons.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
He’s easily better than Benn and Sedin.

I’d say right now he’s equal or slightly better than Kane and Malkin, he’s very close but has not reached Crosby’s tier yet, but has a very strong chance, he’ll need a few more seasons to prove it. McDavid needs a better supporting cast.

Reactions: billybobsherwood

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You've made it clear before you hate the Oilers and McDavid.

Winning the Ross, Lindsay, and Hart when he started the season as a teenager puts him very much in the Crosby class.

The eye test alone should be enough.

6 God

Jul 12, 2013
Okay, so look at this another way: what players would you take to start a franchise over McDavid today?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I thought McDavid was dominating and has been damm consistent throughout his career?

Never more than 2 consecutive games without a point in well over 150+ regular season and playoff games.

Don't let facts get in the way though, no one in recent history has done that.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Style-wise, McDavid is more comparable to Kane/Malkin than Crosby. In terms of offensive-dominance, McDavid will be the best since Crosby. I still project this moving forward, in terms of production...

McDavid = Crosby
Matthews = Malkin
Laine = Ovechkin (light)
Eichel = Tavares

All of that said, who can argue that right now, Nikita Kucherov is not the scariest forward in the NHL?

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
With the possible exception of Stamkos, none of the guys you listed did anything at age 20 that compares to what McDavid did last season. He'll obviously need to keep it up if he's going to enter Crosby/OV/Malkin territory, but he's well on his way. 100 points at age 20, in a relatively low scoring year, is rarefied air.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You've made it clear before you hate the Oilers and McDavid.

Winning the Ross, Lindsay, and Hart when he started the season as a teenager puts him very much in the Crosby class.

The eye test alone should be enough.
Career-wise, he already has over 40 more points than Eichel (who he was compared to heavily in their draft years) and in 15 fewer games. I have no idea how anyone could think he's not dominating his peers

looking at advanced stats makes the gap even wider

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Another ridiculous McDavid thread.

2nd youngest player to win the Ross, Hart and Lindsay in the league's history. 100 points in his Sophomore season. Pacing for around another 100 point season while struggling with illness for what will amount to over a quarter of the season.

Do people ever get tired of having McDavid make them look silly?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
By this I mean is McDavid more a middle of the pack great player rather than hands down no questions asked "Best player in the world".

Kane, Sedin, Perry, St. Louis, Benn are all great players with Art Ross's and Hart's under their belts but only really keeping that #1 pace for one or maybe two of their seasons. Kane is the only exception with playoff success, but without a complete team around them, they end up being just really good players.

Where Crosby and Malkin outside of injury years, consistently dominate and are always no questions asked in the top 5 players in the world and obviously Crosby being the consistent #1.

Get over the hate. From the minute he stepped onto the ice #97 was a top 5 player in the game. First season prorated for the season = top 5 , second season blew everyone away, 3rd season top 3 and moving up, and he's still only 20.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-20_9-15-40.png
    upload_2017-12-20_9-15-40.png
    9 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: ujju2

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I would rather have prime Stamkos(50-60 goals, 90-100 points) than Mcdavid so far in his career. Prime Stamkos was incredible.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
If you need more time to make your decision then fine. But a simple eye test will give you the correct answer. He's the best in the league. The new Crosby.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The difference between a Crosby type and a Kane type is that the Crosby type is in the discussion for best in the game every year throughout his prime, whereas the Kane types are consistent stars who have a brief peak of being in the discussion of best in the game. McDavid already put himself in the discussion for best player at 20, well ahead of any of the names mentioned. And after a slower start, is back among the leaders this year. It's unlikely a player like that will peak that young and then regress to being merely a star player among many, so there's no reason at this point to believe McDavid is a tier down from the Crosby types. He might not be quite as good or have as good of a career, but everything points to him being on the same tier

Reactions: Statto and Plural

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Never more than 2 consecutive games without a point in well over 150+ regular season and playoff games.

Don't let facts get in the way though, no one in recent history has done that.

One would think that makes him one of if not the best player in the league.

Reactions: ujju2 and snipes

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Style-wise, McDavid is more comparable to Kane/Malkin than Crosby. In terms of offensive-dominance, McDavid will be the best since Crosby. I still project this moving forward, in terms of production...

McDavid = Crosby
Matthews = Malkin
Laine = Ovechkin (light)
Eichel = Tavares

.....no

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad