is McDavid generational?

is Connor McDavid a generational player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Best start to a career by an 18 year old since Crosby and arguably 3rd best all-time by a forward starting at age 18.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Leafs fans lol. Will their bitterness for failing to tank for McDavid ever wane?

Smarten up pork chop.

If you're gonna generalize, you probably should actually do the research on their profiles. I mean it's 6 profiles, SHIRLEY you can handle it?

Oh, and Leaf fan saying yeah.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Smarten up pork chop.

If you're gonna generalize, you probably should actually do the research on their profiles. I mean it's 6 profiles, SHIRLEY you can handle it?

Oh, and Leaf fan saying yeah.

3 of 6 are Leafs fans. 1 has a private profile. 2 trolls.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
50% of all bad voters. Plus you know 2 years of main boards overrating of Matthews and arguing that he's better than McDavid LOL. Maybe it's time for you to do some research.
I'm good, it's pretty funny watching your panties get all twisted over what a small minority of a group of 1000+ posters think.

3 Leaf fans, lol.

Literally skim through the usernames of who said yes, there is like 8 Leaf fans you can tell solely based off the username.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
He absolutely is a generational player. When the dust clears, the debate will be over where Crosby and McDavid slot in the top 5 list of all time. Crosby is already there, imo. I fully expect McDavid to be there too, the only issue I see with him is that if he ever gets an injury that takes away some of his speed, his competitive advantage will be impacted much moreso than any of Crosby's injuries.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
It's possible that he may accumulate 100 pts in his rookie season if that plug Manning didn't injure him and caused him to miss 37 games. He was over PPG during that time span.

Reactions: dukeofjive

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yes. I think he's a generational talent. Hard to say if he'll end his career, whether or not he'll be considered generational by the end. He's done everything he can to prove himself thus far though imo.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
It's funny to me how worked up people get about the word "generational" when there isn't even an agreed upon definition of it for hockey. He has the skills currently for any and everything to be on the table though.

I'm of the opinion that only a few players in history have earned this title after years and years of continued dominance. So no, a 21 year old is not generational to me, but it's not out of the question if he continues the way he is playing.
That's fair. I think the discussion comes down to whether or not he's a generational talent, not whether or not he's had a generational career in terms of accomplishments. I think that's the big hang up. There's a difference between a generational career and a generational talent imo, but of course you can't realistically have one without the other.

To be more clear, people that get upset about him being called generational are probably those who don't consider the "talent" to be generational so much as their "achievements."

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
No, he's not generational yet, depending on what your definition is.

@DominicBoltsFan hit the nail on the head. Talent wise 97 is definitely there, but until he wins at least one Stanley Cup (accomplishments) he'll continue to be overlooked as a true generational player.

Hard to evaluate whether a player is generational in only 3 years. He's well on his way, too bad the Oil are not in the playoffs this year - the way he's going right now he woulda made it interesting. Always next year.

He's in his 3rd season he just turned 21 those accomplishments will come.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
No.

He's an overrated #2C.

What a silly topic. Watch him play. Watch his speed. Watch what he does at top speed. Look at his stats. Look at his awards. Is there anyone who is better than he is now? No. Will there be anyone as good as him in the next 5-7 years. Doubtful. So, he's a generational player.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
As much as you can be in the modern era, yes.

You'll never IMO see Gretzky/Lemieux level seperation because goaltending is too good today and the average ability of the lower tier players on every team is much higher than it was in the past.

I disagree-with today’s training and diet, Gretzky and Mario would easily separate themselves from the pack-although by a smaller margin than in the 80s and 90s. Era adjusted stats show that in today’s league, Gretzky would average 1.67 points in his career. So, I would expect 130-150 points throughout a very long prime.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
He absolutely is a generational player. When the dust clears, the debate will be over where Crosby and McDavid slot in the top 5 list of all time. Crosby is already there, imo. I fully expect McDavid to be there too, the only issue I see with him is that if he ever gets an injury that takes away some of his speed, his competitive advantage will be impacted much moreso than any of Crosby's injuries.

Crosby is not even top 10 of all time. When all is said and done he might get there, but injuries have hampered his progress.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
That's fair. I think the discussion comes down to whether or not he's a generational talent, not whether or not he's had a generational career in terms of accomplishments. I think that's the big hang up. There's a difference between a generational career and a generational talent imo, but of course you can't realistically have one without the other.

To be more clear, people that get upset about him being called generational are probably those who don't consider the "talent" to be generational so much as their "achievements."

I think when you get to the level of generational that using that talent to reach the high level is part of it. For me talent alone isn't enough.

But then I am only talking about probably 4-6 guys at most that I would even consider in that group so it is a very narrow view that I have and very high standards to reach it.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
In my mind, McDavid is easily a generational talent. He will completely separate himself above his peers and dominate this league like we haven’t seen since Mario and Gretz (barring injuries)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
No, he's not generational yet, depending on what your definition is.

@DominicBoltsFan hit the nail on the head. Talent wise 97 is definitely there, but until he wins at least one Stanley Cup (accomplishments) he'll continue to be overlooked as a true generational player.

Hard to evaluate whether a player is generational in only 3 years. He's well on his way, too bad the Oil are not in the playoffs this year - the way he's going right now he woulda made it interesting. Always next year.

I can guarantee Gretzky, Crosby etc. would have zero cups if they played their whole careers for the current Oilers.

Team accomplishments are a poor way to define generational. McDavid could be the best player in the history of the game but he's not going to win a thing until the Oilers get better as a team. And there's nothing he can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad