Is McDavid doomed to be the next Marcel Dionne?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
he also lost one to Orr/Esposito

he could easily have had 5 Art Rosses were it not for ridiculously stacked teams and all time greats

If one wants to have 4-5 Art Rosses, as select few all-time greats do, one has to beat some all-time greats. That's how it works.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
If one wants to have 4-5 Art Rosses, as select few all-time greats do, one has to beat some all-time greats. That's how it works.

which Gretzky/Orr caliber players or 70s Canadians/80s Islanders caliber teams does McDavid have to deal with?

the competition is just not comparable at all

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
which Gretzky/Orr caliber players or 70s Canadians/80s Islanders caliber teams does McDavid have to deal with?

You don't get it.

The Oilers' own mismanagement is the competition.

A single player can't win a cup. Takes a team. Who really trusts the Oilers to put a cup winning TEAM on the ice?

Zuluss

May 19, 2011

Well, to my surprise many people on this board are convinced that Crosby is better than Esposito and Lafleur, and McDavid was able to beat Crosby by a wide margin last year while Crosby was allegedly having his 4th-best season.
We'll see who McDavid will have to beat going forward; one cannot exclude the possibility that some youngsters McDavid beat this season will eventually be considered all-time greats.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It won't happen with Chiarelli around but trading him to Boston for a hand full of their prospects is the way to go.

Boston has enough very good prospects for 2 teams and there is no place to put all of them.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Well, to my surprise many people on this board are convinced that Crosby is better than Esposito and Lafleur, and McDavid was able to beat Crosby by a wide margin last year while Crosby was allegedly having his 4th-best season.
We'll see who McDavid will have to beat going forward; one cannot exclude the possibility that some youngsters McDavid beat this season will eventually be considered all-time greats.

sure I bet a bunch of people would rank Crosby over Esposito and Lafleur that's pretty reasonable(although i'm sure most of them would concede that it's at least close)

but how does Letang compare to Bobby Orr? how do last years Penguins compare to a Canadiens team that went 60-8-12 with an utterly ridiculous +216 goal differential?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Bad management, great talent, lots of points but no cup.
It's really going to take Mcdavid to step up and tell management who he wants on the team. He has to take things over like Crosby has done with the Penguins.

If he remains complacent and is just fine with putting up big numbers while leaving everything to management, then Dionne is a good comparison.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
The real question is... Will McDavid make a comment about Aly's legs in 30 years?

419FDD3600000578-4627690-image-m-16_1498131776069.jpg

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
It is hard to win the cup in any scenario, so it is possible he never wins a cup. He has never been on a cup contending level team yet, so I will wait until that happens before making any predictions. This is a ridiculous discussion for a player that is only 21 though.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
He is too good to not win at least one cup single handedly.

No player has ever won a cup single-handedly.

So he is either the greatest player of all time by a huge margin in your opinion, or you just don't understand the game, or the simple fact that forwards are on the ice for roughly 1/3 of it.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
No player has ever won a cup single-handedly.

So he is either the greatest player of all time by a huge margin in your opinion, or you just don't understand the game, or the simple fact that forwards are on the ice for roughly 1/3 of it.

He is the caliber of player that should be able to win a cup in his career.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Marcel! He was an awesome player and still is a very nice man. Has a store /restaurant not far from me. I'm sure there are many players with lack luster careers who have their name on the cup, but 'doomed' is kinda strong when describing Marcels career.
It could and has happened to several offensive talents. Was Marcel the only example that came to mind,or just the highest profile player without his name on the cup?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It's really going to take Mcdavid to step up and tell management who he wants on the team. He has to take things over like Crosby has done with the Penguins.

If he remains complacent and is just fine with putting up big numbers while leaving everything to management, then Dionne is a good comparison.

All the hot takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad