Is Matthews now the best player in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
I think Austin is the best, but there are certainly 1 or 2 players in the league who aren't far behind.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Connor McDavid scored at a 154 point-pace last season. He just put up 33pts in 16 playoff games... Matthews deserves the recognition he's getting as 60g in 73gp is a major accomplishment in this era but Connor McDavid is the best player of our generation. There's a difference between the most impressive season/best goal scorer and the best player.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
McDavid the top dog. Makar, MacKinnon, Matthews, Draisaitl, Kucherov have ability to take the mantle temporarily if they get hot. But I’d say 97 still the best player alive
This is it. McDavids putting pts up at a pace we haven't seen since the 80s.

Matthews is the best pure goal scorer the league's seen since Ovechkin and deserves some hardware. 60g in 73gp is nuts.

If you ask every GM in the league who they take if they had a choice they'd likely pick unanimously in favour of McDavid though.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
That's what they said about Leon Spinks when he won a unanimous decision over Ali.
But Leon was never the best boxer in the world.

I watched Conner in the play offs. All due respect to Austin . Connor is better than anyone.

Ide take Makar over Matthews too.
I'd take Makar over anybody including McMuffin. He clearly outplayed & held McMuffin in check head to head.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
He's at worst top 5, but I think it's hard to make a case for anyone other than McDavid after the post-season he had.

Makar had an insane year. but let's see if he can do it every year like McDavid does.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
No. I'm a Leafs fan but there's no way Matthews is better than McDavid, Makar or Draisaitl imo. But he's right there in the top 5, with a Kucherov, MacKinnon or Hedman rounding it out. I think it's safe to say that he's taken the "best goal scorer on the planet" title from Ovechkin though.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I'd take Makar over anybody including McMuffin. He clearly outplayed & held McMuffin in check head to head.
Can't argue there.
I would still take McDavid by a nose. But ask me in a year or two I may be picking Makar

I'd have Matthews 4th behind Crosby
👍

What does McMuffin imply? Lack of goalscoring or lack of hitting? Because he's neither. :huh:
My guess ?......it Implies envious leaf fan

Reactions: Coffey

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
lol these threads will never stop until he leaves in a couple years as UFA, and then he will be labelled as overhyped and failure all the sudden by these same fans pumping his tires now. Can't wait for the meltdown, it will be glorious.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
lol these threads will never stop until he leaves in a couple years as UFA, and then he will be labelled as overhyped and failure all the sudden by these same fans pumping his tires now. Can't wait for the meltdown, it will be glorious.

The best goal scorer in the NHL who already has a Hart, Lindsay and 2 Rockets will have been a failure? Okay

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
What does McMuffin imply? Lack of goalscoring or lack of hitting? Because he's neither. :huh:
Inability to lead his team like a true captain should.

Pens fan. Agenda is obvious.
look at the film & you tell me. Colorado swept Edmonton & Makar clearly outplayed McMuffin. Makar won the Conny Smythe, McMuffin still has yet to win anything significant in the post-season.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

look at the film & you tell me. Colorado swept Edmonton & Makar clearly outplayed McMuffin. Makar won the Conny Smythe, McMuffin still has yet to win anything significant in the post-season.
and by calling him "McMuffin" you are clearly displaying your objectivity.

Reactions: Dieseloil and Dache

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

McDavid took the team on his back this post season, he delivered

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
But.. Oilers outscored Avs at 5vs5 when McDavid and Makar shared the ice.

Can't deny that it would be nice for McDavid tobe able to take a series off and still win a Stanley Cup as Crosby has done several times.

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad