Is Mark Giordano a favourite for the Norris?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Be it for whatever reason, should he win the Norris, he’d be the first player as far as I can remember to win it with that type of mins played average.

Since we know the Norris is an offensive award, doing it in less minutes seems more impressive.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Mike Green, with his 73 and 76 point seasons abs lack of Norris trophies may disagree with some of that statement.

The vast majority of winners are because of points and you know it. Its literally one of the factors brought up in the OP and why people are considering Rielly.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The vast majority of winners are because of points and you know it. Its literally one of the factors brought up in the OP and why people are considering Rielly.
That’s fine.

But it’s fact that Mike Green never won one.

And it’s fact that if Reilly wins one playing 22 mins a game, he’d be the first time in at least 25 years (and likely much longer) where someone has won the trophy with such low minutes averaged.

Reactions: Migos

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I doubt it. He’s having another great year and he’s one of, if not the best, two-way defenceman in the game. The guy is the definition of steady, reliable consistency. But the Norris typically goes to someone putting up a ton of points - no matter how poor the rest of their game might be.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
I doubt it. He’s having another great year and he’s one of, if not the best, two-way defenceman in the game. The guy is the definition of steady, reliable consistency. But the Norris typically goes to someone putting up a ton of points - no matter how poor the rest of their game might be.

He is putting up tons of points.. He's only like 4 behind Reily, while being probably the best on the defensive side of any D with similar point totals.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
All This Reilly talk and not one peep on his defensive game, I think it would have to be top ten to really give Gio a run for his money

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Rielly, Morgan.

Um no, Giordano would be #1 on my list and I think some voters might give him some slack because the last 2 times he was the favorite for Norris he got injured.

Not saying that it is right or wrong but just saying that it might come into play for some voters.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Reilly plays 22 mins a night on average. I don’t remember ever seeing a Norris winner with such low minutes played nightly.

Every other player you have listed there plays a significant amount more.

He is 48th among Dmen, that is going to hurt his case alot.

Also Morgan's 4 extra points are PP ones, although I'm pretty sure voters don't consider that or give it a ton of weight.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He is 48th among Dmen, that is going to hurt his case alot.

Also Morgan's 4 extra points are PP ones, although I'm pretty sure voters don't consider that or give it a ton of weight.

Morgan Reilly gets the same TOI as MacKinnon, and less than Barkov, Kopitar, Schiefele, McDavid. That might leave a mark, yeah.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Still can't believe this guy was undrafted. And that the Flames let him walk away and play in Russia for a year. Just shows you that for all the resources these teams pour into scouting and development, they're far from perfect.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
No I’m pretty sure his first post was just referencing this thread and you tried to respond in a demeaning way and now it backfired on you lol

His post was referencing little more than one page of a thread?

That changes everything, fantastic sample size.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He really should be the front runner, but we all know how this works in Calgary.

5th highest point totals for D right now, trailing the lead by 5 points.
Of the top 5 in scoring he is the best actual defenceman.
Best possession numbers of the top.
Plays amazing 5v5, PP and unlike a lot of the other guys on the list PK.

Guy's an all-purpose 1D who should get a look. If I was voting today, he'd be my pick; not taking anything away from the fantastic offensive years from Morgan or Chabot.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad