Is Malkin the best player in the world?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Malkin is not better than Crosby, but at his best he plays a more visually impressive game than Sid does. Crosby does many subtle things exceptionally well and is a better skater than Malkin, whereas Malkin is prone to bursts of brute physical dominance.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
if you're not on the ice you cant help your team. ppg malkin is .05 higher while playing against weaker players and having Crosby on the pp as well.
Ppg tells you the level that player is playing at. You could also just watch the games to see that Malkin is clearly better.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
As you guys know, I am I huge Crosby fan, but Malkin is still my favorite player. He has it all : a very nice shape, great hands, he's fast and he's a very likable person.

Malkin
548 GP
255 G
414 A
669 P
1.22 PPG

Crosby
577 GP
283 G
521 A
804 P
1.39 PPG

Obviously, Crosby has the better career so far but knowing that :

1) Crosby always had the better wingers (or most of the time at least)
2) Crosby average more ice time than Malkin
3) Malkin has over 1.35 PGG (don't know the exact number) when Crosby is out the lineup.

Can we assume that Malkin could possibly be the best player in the world if he played for a different team with decent wingers or can we already say that he's the best player in the world even though Crosby had better statistics so far?

Thank you.

My take on this is that their true respective level is better reflected by their career PPG in Play Offs rather than by their career PPG during regular season.
And their POs ppg are very close with Sid's being just a bit better.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Last edited by a moderator:

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I've watched 95% of Pens games throughout their entire careers.

Crosby is a better player. He consistently plays at an elite level and works harder than anyone on the ice.

Malkin is much more fun to watch on the ice and off. When he's on he is absolutely amazing but he is not always on and can even get stupid on the ice. Off the ice he is hysterical.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012
I've watched 95% of Pens games throughout their entire careers.

Crosby is a better player. He consistently plays at an elite level and works harder than anyone on the ice.

Malkin is much more fun to watch on the ice and off. When he's on he is absolutely amazing but he is not always on and can even get stupid on the ice. Off the ice he is hysterical.

Like in the last 2 POs??
I love Sid but i hate people who make him look better than he truly is.
If he were that much better than Geno, his ppg during POs wouldn't be that close to Geno's for example.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've always thought that he is the most dominant hockey player in this generation of hockey players. Crosby's more consistent because he has more of those intangible hockey qualities that allow him to still be such a good player even when he's not at his best offensively.

I don't like the phrasing of the question. Its still too arbitrary. What's the way to judge best? Is it most talented? Is it most consistent? Is it career stats and accomplishments? Is it a combination of all three? Everyone will have a different opinion of how to judge who's the best, but I think he's definitely the most dominant.

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
I don't think he's even a clear cut #2 player in the league, there are quite a few guys you could argue are second best, based on various metrics.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
When he is on his "A" game, Malkins extra gear is higher than anyone else's. Crosby is more consistent but Malkin can make NHL defenseman look puny and clueless. I haven't seen any other star who can so thoroughly dominate when they are in a groove.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
If playing at his best, Malkin can dominate the game like no one else in the league right now can do. He's played in games where you can feel a buzz in the arena every time he touches a puck no matter where he is on the ice or the situation of the game at that time. It's not unlike the way fans used to react to Mario.

That being said, that is only when he is at his best. Crosby is more consistent and probably more balanced, which makes him a better player in most regards.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
Was Malkins BEST better than Sids BEST right before the concussion? pretty sure Sid was on a pace that hasn't been seen since the greatest player of all time, Lemieux.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Was Malkins BEST better than Sids BEST right before the concussion? pretty sure Sid was on a pace that hasn't been seen since the greatest player of all time, Lemieux.

That's usually what happens when people start talking about either player at his "best". They use a couple of isolated events to define Malkin's best and compare it to the usual Crosby. Even though Sid is insanely consistent, there were clearly times he dominated far more than others. His concussion shortened season was absolutely insane, not just in terms of points.

penguins2946*

Malkin is viciously underrated on HF. Someone yesterday tried to say that the Pens would have to add to Malkin to get McDavid. It's ridiculous. He's still the 2nd best player in the league, and he has outplayed Crosby this year with drastically worse linemates.

Hazu*

Sep 25, 2011
Malkin is viciously underrated on HF. Someone yesterday tried to say that the Pens would have to add to Malkin to get McDavid. It's ridiculous. He's still the 2nd best player in the league, and he has outplayed Crosby this year with drastically worse linemates.

What pisses me off is that he's even more underrated by the medias. I always feel like some "hockey experts" thing he's a second line center or just a "good player".

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
What pisses me off is that he's even more underrated by the medias. I always feel like some "hockey experts" thing he's a second line center or just a "good player".

It is absurd. There is definite bias against him because he's not a good Ol Canadian boy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad