Is MacKinnon the second best player in the world right now?

Is he?

• Total voters

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
It’s debatable but if you had a re-draft for the entire league he’d probably go second after McDavid.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
OV is 2nd. MacK is probably 3rd but the way he's going I'll put him 2nd after this season.

Lol at anyone mentioning Crosby or Matthews as 2nd best. Crosby wasn't even a top 15 player last season and isn't again this season. Matthews needs to crack 70pts.

Lol at you thinking those opinions are funny then mentioning Ovechkin. Honestly MacKinnon has the best argument out of anybody since he actually has a higher points per game than McDavid since the beginning of last season. He's making it clear his play last year was not a fluke even if he benefits from Rantanen.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Lol at you thinking those opinions are funny then mentioning Ovechkin. Honestly MacKinnon has the best argument out of anybody since he actually has a higher points per game than McDavid since the beginning of last season. He's making it clear his play last year was not a fluke even if he benefits from Rantanen.

Ovechkin was a top 10 player last season, Crosby and Matthews were not. If you want to include playoffs (as Crosby fans have loved to do the last few years) then OV was #1 last season. He is also top 10 again this season while Crosby is nowhere close. So I'm not sure what was funny about what I said.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Ovechkin was a top 10 player last season, Crosby and Matthews were not. If you want to include playoffs (as Crosby fans have loved to do the last few years) then OV was #1 last season. He is also top 10 again this season while Crosby is nowhere close. So I'm not sure what was funny about what I said.

You're saying he's the best player besides McDavid, which is funny.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I like that 2 less points (both regular and primary) in 2 less games is "nowhere close"

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Make a poll asking if Crosby's been a top 10 player this season and you'll get your answer.

That's due to perception more than anything. Crosby is expected to be be ahead of the pack, not a part of it, and his lower GPs pushes his totals further down the list. He isn't a young player getting attention for having a breakout year like Marner or Eichel, nor has he had a hot streak that's garnered attention like Ovechkin's back to back hattricks. He's just played consistently excellent hockey on a team that hasn't played to expectations around him. Most people would put Scheifele and Eichel in top 10 lists for this season, but they haven't really been noticeably better. McDavid, MacKinnon, Kucherov and Rantanen have separated themselves, and then there's a bunch of players that haven't really.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
No I think?

I don’t think there’s a legit 2nd best player behind McDavid right now. There’s a few players who could lay claim to being the 2nd best player, Mack/Kuch/Matthews/Hedman/Crosby/Malkin, etc.

I mean based on previous accomplishments Crosby probably takes that spot but currently he’s probably in the mix for top 5.

Mack has the talent to do it, but I don’t think he’s solidified it quite yet.
/thread

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There doesn't seem to be a clear cut #2 right now. But MacK is definitely in the running for it.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
A coach in a one game or a playoff series or a tournament would absolutely take Sid.

Well if now we are only talking about playoffs then sure I probably would as well. A full season and playoffs Mcdavid any day

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
I think he's 3rd best in the world.

McDavid

Crosby
MacK

Kuch
Rants

My top 5 in 3 tiers. I think there's a lot of players that fall into that 3rd tier (such as Matthews and Marner). Lots of amazing forwards in this era.

member 157595

What's truly incredible is how quickly McDavid has separated himself from everyone else.

Take a look at the very few players that have his accomplishments by that young age...it's quite a short list. When you consider that he's going it alone a chunk of the time it's even more impressive.

Hockey fans are lucky to have a guy like him in the league.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
We can talk about it all year but theres simply no clear answer. Its a very exciting time in the nhl with a ton of young players having career years/peaking and its hard to tell them apart. We dont know which are on a hot run vs the norm (matthews ranta etc). And you still have the old guard present too. I can make a very convincing argument for any of the following players imo:

Mack
Ranta
Crosby
Malkin
Ovi
Matthews
Kucherov

Karlsson would normally be there but hes been off since last year. Don't think any other defenseman nor goalie is worthy. I may have forgotten a forward. Depending on what criteria is important to you i think the above are the names in contention.

Personally i still pick Crosby. 0 disappointments in last 3 years. Always delivers when it counts ( dont just mean playoffs - he saved the pens season last year in jan too).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad