Is MacKinnon the second best player in the world right now?

Is he?

• Total voters

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Why would he? Let’s hear the arguments for, before the poll.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No I think?

I don’t think there’s a legit 2nd best player behind McDavid right now. There’s a few players who could lay claim to being the 2nd best player, Mack/Kuch/Matthews/Hedman/Crosby/Malkin, etc.

I mean based on previous accomplishments Crosby probably takes that spot but currently he’s probably in the mix for top 5.

Mack has the talent to do it, but I don’t think he’s solidified it quite yet.

Reactions: MC2D

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Im going with no, because it keeps switching.

Matthews and MacKinnon will be competing for it, I have MacKinnon ahead.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
you've got several players that could be considered number 2 right now. You've got several that you could consider number 1, depending on whether you're looking at just this year, or longer, or what (but yes, I'd take McD).

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
It’s hard to judge. Some Colorado fans think he’s the 2nd best on his team.

Like some posters mentioned above I think he’s definitely in the conversation along with Crosby, Matthews, Malkin, Kucherov and Hedman

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He could be, to be honest, especially if you put more emphasis on pure ability than on track record.

For those who bring up the playoffs: The guy has 16 points in 13 playoff games in his career.

Since the beginning of the '17-18 season, he is first in points per game (by 0.01 over McDavid and 0.02 over Kucherov).

NHL.com - Stats

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
No I think?

I don’t think there’s a legit 2nd best player behind McDavid right now. There’s a few players who could lay claim to being the 2nd best player, Mack/Kuch/Matthews/Hedman/Crosby/Malkin, etc.

I mean based on previous accomplishments Crosby probably takes that spot but currently he’s probably in the mix for top 5.

LOL.

I voted yes but truth be told, there are a few players that I'd also vote the same way.

Really tough. It's the old thing about my top 10 would have 15 names on it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It’s hard to judge. Some Colorado fans think he’s the 2nd best on his team.

Like some posters mentioned above I think he’s definitely in the conversation along with Crosby, Matthews, Malkin, Kucherov and Hedman

He’s been the 2nd best overall this year. His best is better than Rantanens best though, and he’s still the better player between the 2 though.

Reactions: klozge

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
No I think?

Malkin really has no claim in my opinion. Claude Giroux has been better than Malkin since the beginning of last season. Ovechkin has been as well if you include playoffs.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Malkin really has no claim in my opinion. Claude Giroux has been better than Malkin since the beginning of last season. Ovechkin has been as well if you include playoffs.

He started the out ridiculously hot and it’s still Malkin and he can stake a claim as much as anyone. I don’t think he is the 2nd best player in the world, but I think he’s not far behind.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
It's pretty funny when Crosby is still considered top 2 even though kucherov and mack will out point him again this year

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
OV is 2nd. MacK is probably 3rd but the way he's going I'll put him 2nd after this season.

Lol at anyone mentioning Crosby or Matthews as 2nd best. Crosby wasn't even a top 15 player last season and isn't again this season. Matthews needs to crack 70pts.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it's between MacKinnon, Kucherov, and Crosby, even if he hasn't had a 100 point season in a while. I'll say this about MacKinnon though: Every time I watch him, I wonder if he should be in the conversation with McDavid. He's just impossible to contain sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad