Is MacKinnon now the best player in the NHL?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
this is also a No

he needs to make the playoffs more regularly

I don't see what the crap team he plays for has to do with his individual class. Even in the NBA, which is a much more star-driven sport, the best player can't drag his team to the playoffs without some help.

He may not have the resume that some folks want, but watching him play against other great players makes it obvious that he's in a tier of his own :dunno:

Reactions: MacBradley

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I don't see what the crap team he plays for has to do with his individual class. Even in the NBA, which is a much more star-driven sport, the best player can't drag his team to the playoffs without some help.

He may not have the resume that some folks want, but watching him play against other great players makes it obvious that he's in a tier of his own :dunno:

Regular season again doesn't provide "real" proof in how good a player is

Playoffs is a much harder game

can McDavid excel?

we don't know because he has made it only once and EDM didn't go very far

So 1st he needs to make the playoffs

even though the team was mediocre this season...maybe he also is not a good captain

nobody knows right now

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Regular season again doesn't provide "real" proof in how good a player is

Playoffs is a much harder game

can McDavid excel?

we don't know because he has made it only once and EDM didn't go very far

So 1st he needs to make the playoffs

even though the team was mediocre this season...maybe he also is not a good captain

nobody knows right now

It's a different game for everyone though, so even if those differences do close the gap some, they don't erase it. I'd love it if they did, because playoff-MacK is an absolute monster. But it just feels like you're looking for a reason not to appreciate what a special talent we're getting to watch develop :dunno:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Jesus, being the best player changes so much these days/
Back in my day, if you were the best player in the league, you were so for at least a decade! Damn millennials these days with their short attentions spans, they change their mind on who is the best every 15 minutes! It's that damn facebox and metube is frying their brains!

Reactions: cgf

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It's a different game for everyone though, so even if those differences do close the gap some, they don't erase it. I'd love it if they did, because playoff-MacK is an absolute monster. But it just feels like you're looking for a reason not to appreciate what a special talent we're getting to watch develop :dunno:

Again playoff trumps regular season

this said, regular season production/consistency is also admirable

but to say McDavid is the best player without any playoff accomplishment is jumping the gun

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Again playoff trumps regular season

this said, regular season production/consistency is also admirable

but to say McDavid is the best player without any playoff accomplishment is jumping the gun

Why? Best is a relative term. So why is it important that he meet specific benchmarks? He's clearly the best in the regular season & it's not like there's anything suggesting that he struggles in the postseason...even with his limit exposure to it. So what's the argument against him?...not a possible argument against him that could materialize in the future if he struggles in the playoffs, but a currently valid argument against him being the best.

More importantly, if it's not McDavid, who is the best?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Why? Best is a relative term. So why is it important that he meet specific benchmarks? He's clearly the best in the regular season & it's not like there's anything suggesting that he struggles in the postseason...even with his limit exposure to it. So why not acknowlege him as the best?

More importantly, if it's not McDavid, who is the best?

Because

then why not say Kucherov is the best, based on points alone this season

see what I mean?

it should be a combination of both regular season and playoffs success/cup win

Crosby is still top 3 (though window is slowly closing)

Ovie is top 3 now after winning the cup last season

MacKinnon and McDavid have looong ways to go

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Because

then why not say Kucherov is the best, based on points alone this season

see what I mean?

it should be a combination of both regular season and playoffs success/cup win

Crosby is still top 3 (though window is slowly closing)

Ovie is top 3 now after winning the cup last season

MacKinnon and McDavid have looong ways to go

Because Kucherov is outclassed by McDavid when they share the ice and because Kucherov has had negative playoff performances that it's fair to dock him for.

McDavid potentially having negative playoff performances in the future isn't the same.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Because Kucherov is outclassed by McDavid when they share the ice and because Kucherov has had negative playoff performances that it's fair to dock him for.

McDavid potentially having negative playoff performances in the future isn't the same

you got to be serious :laugh:

So the unknown is better?

have Mcdavid and his Oilers make the playoffs on a consistent basis 1st and then get back to me

For all I know, even if Mcdavid never made another playoff appearance, you would declare him the best there ever was that COULD have wrecked it, in the playoffs

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
IMO (which is probably bias) MacKinnon is/has pushing himself into the McDavid tier but the title easily goes to McJesus.

My top 2 players in the league for sure.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
you got to be serious :laugh:

So the unknown is better?

have Mcdavid and his Oilers make the playoffs on a consistent basis 1st and then get back to me

For all I know, even if Mcdavid never made another playoff appearance, you would declare him the best there ever was that COULD have wrecked it, in the playoffs

Than a known negative? Yes, it's obviously less bad. Is that a serious question or are you just being intentionally difficult?

...and that's kinda the exact opposite of the point I was making about only critiquing him based on the evidence that we do actually have...rather than the hypothetical evidence that we may receive in the future...but don't let that stop you from strawman'ing away :thumbu:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Jesus, being the best player changes so much these days/

Its almost as if you have this group of elite players . . . and on any given day, or any given week, one of those players elevates his play and for that time is the most dominant player in the world.

Like there really is no . . . best player in the world. Only a group of players with ebs and flows who are all that best player for different chunks of the year. And what makes that group elite is the fact that they have fewer downs and more ups.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Mackinnon has one of the best releases I have ever seen, it even rivals Ovechkin. He is a goalies' worst nightmare in the slot, if he shoots it under the bar or top corner it is unstoppable due to the speed of the puck he generate son a wrister.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Mcdavid is still #1, still in a tier of his own

But Mackinnon imo is in the next tier with Crosby and Kuch

Guys like Barkov, Doughty, Malkin make up the 3rd tier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad