Is Mackenzie Blackwood currently the best goaltender in the Metro?

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Eu6ia9KXYAIv4U7

Eu6kWl3WYAA_QTJ

(stats above are post-John Hynes)

Mackenzie Blackwood has done extremely well behind a mostly bad NJ team since his rookie year.

in particular though, statistically he has been a top-5 goaltender since John Hynes' firing... including a 2.12 and .938 in four starts so far this season (another tonight against Buffalo)

Do you think 24yo Mackenzie Blackwood is the best goaltender in the Metro as of today? Also this is my first ever thread of my own, gotta support my Devils!

Last edited:
Reactions: Blender and Jets012

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Since Hynes got fired (which I think those stats are from) he's been stellar. He's one of the most underrated goalies in the league but I think the national media is starting to take notice. Great talent.

Reactions: Blender and Woncka

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Since Hynes got fired (which I think those stats are from) he's been stellar. He's one of the most underrated goalies in the league but I think the national media is starting to take notice. Great talent.
Thats exactly what they are

i edited the original post to reflect this

was only three years ago many doubted Mackenzie after a terrible AHL season too!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
By Metro you mean the divisions we normally see?

That would be Hart, Samosonov, Jarry, Varlamov, Elvis, Mrazek, Shestyorkin as the likely alternatives from the other seven teams.

I think right now it probably comes down to Shestyorkin, Blackwood, Varlamov, and maybe Elvis.

I think Shestyorkin is the best of that list right now, but Blackwood is probably second.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I was pretty high on him coming into the draft and I'm glad to see him doing as good as I thought he would, even if it is with those stinky Devils!

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Can't see how he's not. There's a serious glut of young goaltending talent in that division.

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
By Metro you mean the divisions we normally see?

That would be Hart, Samosonov, Jarry, Varlamov, Elvis, Mrazek, Shestyorkin as the likely alternatives from the other seven teams.

I think right now it probably comes down to Shestyorkin, Blackwood, Varlamov, and maybe Elvis.

I think Shestyorkin is the best of that list right now, but Blackwood is probably second.
What would you be considering that would have Shestyorkin above Blackwood? Shestyorkin being a year older as well (though that doesnt have to do with current)

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Everyone talks about the Rangers, Sens, Canucks, etc as teams of the future. The Devils have a really good thing going for them. They still have a bit of work to do in their rebuild, but Blackwood backstopping it all for the future is gonna be great to see . . for both New Jersey and Team Canada (That's right I said it).

I know Newark, New Jersey isn't paradise, but that hockey team of there's isn't too shabby. Lots of promising youngsters.

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Everyone talks about the Rangers, Sens, Canucks, etc as teams of the future. The Devils have a really good thing going for them. They still have a bit of work to do in their rebuild, but Blackwood backstopping it all for the future is gonna be great to see . . for both New Jersey and Team Canada (That's right I said it).

I know Newark, New Jersey isn't paradise, but that hockey team of there's isn't too shabby. Lots of promising youngsters.
Luckily outside of Newark within an hours drive are some of the nicest suburbs in the country

NJ as a state gets a VERY bad rep due to the parts of North Jersey surrounding NYC

Most of the state outside of there is gorgeous (though expensive)

Reactions: The Grinder

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Metro goaltending is relatively weak right now, but I guess it depends how you define "currently".

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Luckily outside of Newark within an hours drive are some of the nicest suburbs in the country

NJ as a state gets a VERY bad rep due to the parts of North Jersey surrounding NYC

Most of the state outside of there is gorgeous (though expensive)
Preach, brother.

Reactions: Woncka

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Still confused on why Blackwood signed for 3 years @ $2.8 this offseason. RFA at expiry too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad