Is Leon Draisaitl a franchise player?

Is Leon Draisaitl a franchise player

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
yeah i 2nd this. just because they are a franchises best player, doesnt mean they are universally a franchise player.

Barzal/Aho/Tkachuk/Jones are all very good players but not what i would call a franchise piece.
Exactly. Franchise is honestly a pretty small group, looking at the top 8 teams in the league they all have a franchise player except Vegas (who has some stars and excellent depth).

But when you look past those 8 teams, outside of Edmonton I don't see any teams that have a player that is a slam dunk franchise guy (a couple are borderline)

Reactions: CatchyTune

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Shouldn't someone with a very recent Art Ross win be taken as a franchise player by default?

This just feels like it will end being a semantic exercise around what "franchise" really means (vs. "elite", "superstar", "generational", etc.).

EDIT: Checks other replies. Yep.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
They are supposedly the faces of their respective franchise/organization. There should be 30-50 of these in theory.

Tkachuk x 2, Aho, Barzal, Eichel, Kane, Seth Jones etc are all franchise players to me.
I have never heard "franchise player" be used in this sense. It sounds like you're trying to graft the "1D is a purely relative term, so there are 31 1Ds in the league" argument onto the franchise label.

A franchise level talent is universally considered to be somebody whom you would expect to be the best player on a cup winning team.

i.e. One ladder rung above "elite."

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’d love to see a statistical analysis that says he isn’t a franchise player. Because I think all of the stats confirm that he’s top 5 in the league and arguably number 3 behind McDavid and Mack.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I have never heard "franchise player" be used in this sense. It sounds like you're trying to graft the "1D is a purely relative term, so there are 31 1Ds in the league" argument onto the franchise label.

A franchise level talent is universally considered to be somebody whom you would expect to be the best player on a cup winning team.

i.e. One ladder rung above "elite."
You have never heard that?
What is a franchise to you then?
The term 'face of franchise' is pretty common.

Gaudreau was it in Calgary but Tkachuk seems to be it now. It's players you build your team/franchise around.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
yeah i 2nd this. just because they are a franchises best player, doesnt mean they are universally a franchise player.

Barzal/Aho/Tkachuk/Jones are all very good players but not what i would call a franchise piece.
I agree. Dustin Penner was the oilers best guy in 2009. Theres no way hes a franchise player lol.

Reactions: CatchyTune

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Yes, Draisaitl is a franchise player in a similar way to Malkin being franchise player in Pittsburgh

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
What kind of a question is this? How is a top 5-10 player in the NHL, who just won the Hart, Art Ross and Lindsay, NOT a franchise player?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I can't see how those three would represent three different generations.

They represent 2 technically, 2 are millennial and 1 is generally Z.

But the 2 are generational at different things. Ones is arguably the greatest goal scorer ever (hard not to call generational) and the other is considered by some to be a Top 5 player all time and almost unanimously top 10. Both those players are once in a generation talents just at different things.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Fine, though it's getting close to the point where Yanic Perreault is a "generational" player as the best faceoff taker and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad