Is Leon Draisaitl a franchise player?

Is Leon Draisaitl a franchise player

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Hes in the midst of one of the best offensive stretches of the cap era. He can play centre. He can play LW. He will play 22+ minutes a night. He is a strong PKer. He is a power play god. Hes a board battle horse. He is simultaneously one of the best passers and best finishers in the league. Franchise centrepiece.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Yep.

McDavid - Crosby - Ovechkin - Bourque = Generational
Drai - Mackinnon - Malkin - Matthews - Erik Karlsson = Franchise

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No, because a team can only have one franchise player. EA Sports has screwed up the definition of franchise player for sure. It used to be that a franchise player was any star level player that a team is built around. The face of the organization. Now it is a marker as to how good a player is, but that's a flawed metric. If Leon played for nearly any team other than the Oilers, he would be a Franchise Player, but McDavid is the Oilers Franchise Player, so Draisaitl can't be at that same level.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
What kid of dumb poll is this ?

Cmon HF.

Seriously.

Close this shit down

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Would Gretzky, Lemiuex, Orr, Howe Be transcendent talents? Also where would you fit in Jagr

I think I'd be pretty biased to not consider him generational.
TBH I wanted to see more out of him after he left Mario's side, but he was still a beast and he didn't have a lot to play with in Washington and New York.

I wouldn't bother debating anyone who considers him generational.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
No, because a team can only have one franchise player. EA Sports has screwed up the definition of franchise player for sure. It used to be that a franchise player was any star level player that a team is built around. The face of the organization. Now it is a marker as to how good a player is, but that's a flawed metric. If Leon played for nearly any team other than the Oilers, he would be a Franchise Player, but McDavid is the Oilers Franchise Player, so Draisaitl can't be at that same level.

Would you say Malkin or Jagr aren't franchise players?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I can't see how those three would represent three different generations.

In the same way that Gretzky and Lemieux are both generational, despite overlapping careers.

The term is more in reference to the type of player you don't see very often, as opposed to LITERALLY only one per generation.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think I'd be pretty biased to not consider him generational.
TBH I wanted to see more out of him after he left Mario's side, but he was still a beast and he didn't have a lot to play with in Washington and New York.

I wouldn't bother debating anyone who considers him generational.

He won 4 scoring titles in a row. What more did you want/need to see? :huh:

He won a single Hart in that span but 100% would have won again in 2000 had he played another 10-15 games.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Was Mario not generational talent?

I'd argue Mario was more talented than Wayne. Although if we go by traditional definitions Gretzky might still be a boomer and Lemieux already generation X. Likewise one can say that while Crosby is undoubtedly a millennial McDavid might be generation Z already. Europeans can be ignored as they are not a part of the same society.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Side question, who are the franchise players in the league?
To me, this is a very different question from just "name the top ~10 players" because it's a lot easier to be a franchise player as Center or Goaltender than as a Winger or Defenseman.

In no order, based on the past two seasons:
Vasilevsky, Kucherov, Hedman, Barkov, Kane, Matthews, McDavid, Draisaitl, Crosby, Panarin, MacKinnon, Kopitar

Last edited:
Reactions: The Moose is Loose

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Yeah of course.

While i dont think he would score as much without McDavid a 90-100+ point center is without a doubt a franchise guy

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Side question, who are the franchise players in the league?
To me, this is a very different question from just "name the top ~10 players" because it's a lot easier to be a franchise player as Center or Goaltender than as a Winger or Defenseman.

In no order, based on the past two seasons:
Vasilevsky, Kucherov, Hedman, Barkov, Kane, Matthews, McDavid, Draisaitl, Crosby, Panarin, MacKinnon, Kopitar
They are supposedly the faces of their respective franchise/organization. There should be 30-50 of these in theory.

Tkachuk x 2, Aho, Barzal, Eichel, Kane, Seth Jones etc are all franchise players to me.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
They are supposedly the faces of their respective franchise/organization. There should be 30-50 of these in theory.

Tkachuk x 2, Aho, Barzal, Eichel, Kane, Seth Jones etc are all franchise players to me.
Kane and Eichel sure but the other ones would be a no for me. Franchise needs to be a player that an entire team can be built around and can be the #1 guy on a cup contender.

Are you really going to win the cup if Barzal or Matthew Tkachuk are your best players?

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Kane and Eichel sure but the other ones would be a no for me. Franchise needs to be a player that an entire team can be built around and can be the #1 guy on a cup contender.

Are you really going to win the cup if Barzal or Matthew Tkachuk are your best players?
yeah i 2nd this. just because they are a franchises best player, doesnt mean they are universally a franchise player.

Barzal/Aho/Tkachuk/Jones are all very good players but not what i would call a franchise piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad