Is LA the only threat?

masterown35

Oct 12, 2015
Honestly even if the Kings manage to keep pace, they still don't appear to be that big of a threat. They're in a weak division. Every team in the central minus the Avalanche have more points than at least 5 of the teams in the pacific at this very moment. Obviously we're only +/-27 games into the season and playoffs are a different story, but even with the lack of goal scoring depth for the hawks, they've faced massive amounts of adversity throughout these last few years. A deflection goal away from a finals return in 14, nearly knocked out by Anaheim in 15 and Detroit in 13. People even thought they wouldn't get past Nashville this past year. You never know what could happen, but if the Hawks and Kings were to face each other in the playoffs right now, I see the Hawks giving them a very tough time. And it honestly looks 50/50 in terms of the winner.

Another definite cup run is a stretch at this point in time, but if we start to see more of Hossa, Teravainen, Toews, etc getting the goals, then they could quite possibly become another threat. Their biggest problem is the lack of offensive depth. No doubt in my mind that the talent is there. They just need to get into that gear. That's their biggest problem to me right now, with defense right behind.

One thing's for sure though, you never count that team out of it. They always seem to find a way back into it and that was proven these last 3 years. We'll just have to see what happens. And if they manage to find a sucker for Bickell and can get a decent winger back that can put the puck in the net, that can improve their chances quite a bit.

Last edited:

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Want to thank you guys for the thread from the Kings fans. Don't worry too much about the Kings, they have a couple holes that need patching before getting up to speed. Just trying to stay under the radar for now. Blowing an upcoming game to CBJ will help with that. :laugh:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
West:

Kings are good, no doubt
Ducks will lose their minds when things are starting to get serious. Kesler :laugh:
Flames and Nucks just aren't good enough. Sharks are in Transition and no threat

Blues are the Blues and other than gooning up they hope Tarasenko scores more than the whole opponent. _Hitch will get fired after this season.
Stars are a one line Team with a deadly good PP when Benn, Seguin and Klingberg are on the ice. Always a threat to score. Goaltending and D won't hold up as will depth.
MIN has lost 3 years in a row now, revenge minded isn't really that big. It's more like getting bullied every day now and for the 4th time, they cry themselfs to sleep that their season will end - again - against the Blackhawks, before 1 second was played.

I like the Preds and their D. We've had Troubles with them before. If they are Players at the TD and add a Top Line Player (possible Center), they will be a tough pillow.

Jets just aren't good enough to say they are better than STL, DAL, MIN, NSH, CHI

aaaaanndd last but not least:
Chicago. They can beat themself and have done so in the past.

Luck will be a reason too.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
I think there are some good teams in the East this year but the Kings are really the only team in the West that I think could win the Cup besides the Hawks (as currently constructed). Maybe the Preds are in that group as well.

If the Hawks avoid "beating themselves" I still think LA could beat them (and maybe Tampa and the Caps) but very few teams can handle the Hawks if they find their game in April/May/June.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Want to thank you guys for the thread from the Kings fans. Don't worry too much about the Kings, they have a couple holes that need patching before getting up to speed. Just trying to stay under the radar for now. Blowing an upcoming game to CBJ will help with that. :laugh:

:laugh: No worries.

See you in the WCF ;)

ObeyPerry

Sep 5, 2011
Chicago, IL
LA, Anaheim, a revenge-minded Minnesota, Dallas and even the Blackhawks' own fatigue and roster turnover are threats. I'm still very confident they'll make the playoffs but winning the Cup is always difficult and impossible to be certain about.

If you were certain going into last year's playoffs, more power to you.

Get outta here with revenge minded Minnesota. We have eliminated them 3 years in a row. It has not went the full 7 games in any of those series. They appear to be playoff fodder, not a contender.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Get outta here with revenge minded Minnesota. We have eliminated them 3 years in a row. It has not went the full 7 games in any of those series. They appear to be playoff fodder, not a contender.

The Wild are a serious threat to us. They lost steam last years because the basically played playoff style hockey from January through May. They matchup well against us. You think that our Hawks did not want revenge against the Wings?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
They are back to being the Kings and if the Hawks want to win another cup, I do think they will have to take out LA. Biggest threat, but certainly not only threat.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm more more concerned with the HAWKS play more than anyone else. They're not contending for anything if they don't make a lot of improvements heading into the playoffs.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
As nerve-racking to watch as it would be, another Hawks/Kings WCF would be amazing. They're the teams to beat until someone else proves otherwise.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
When they play each other it's hockey at it's finest. It's been that way since 2013

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Exactly, and the games are so entertaining because both teams are the best at what they do and the styles are so opposite.

I said it two years ago but I'll say it again. As much as it sucked to lose to them in 2014, that was the best hockey I've ever watched and it definitely lessened the blow.

emeyezee

Jul 1, 2015
As nerve-racking to watch as it would be, another Hawks/Kings WCF would be amazing. They're the teams to beat until someone else proves otherwise.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I legitimately like the Kings. A rubber match WCF would make me so happy. Each night, if the Hawks aren't playing and the Kings are, my Gamecenter live is most likely on their game. I think they're a very well-run organization and I love the intense, but respectable rivalry we have with them.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
I'm probably in the minority here, but I legitimately like the Kings. A rubber match WCF would make me so happy. Each night, if the Hawks aren't playing and the Kings are, my Gamecenter live is most likely on their game. I think they're a very well-run organization and I love the intense, but respectable rivalry we have with them.

Yep. I remember when it was Boston-Pitt and CHI-LA in the ECF and WCF I was talking with my buddies about how for the next 5 years that was gonna be the constant. Well LA missed the playoffs, Boston is like in a half rebuild half go for the 8th seed and Pittsburgh is who knows what.

Pretty cool Chicago was the only team that stayed the course and didn't melt down.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013

We held up our end of the bargain for a rubber match but the Kings decided to duck us. :sarcasm:

emeyezee

Jul 1, 2015
We held up our end of the bargain for a rubber match but the Kings decided to duck us. :sarcasm:

Hah! True that. I also enjoy the fact that Blues fans can't stand either team but we are the most successful teams in the past 6 years!

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014
Hah! True that. I also enjoy the fact that Blues fans can't stand either team but we are the most successful teams in the past 6 years!

That's probably why Blues fans don't like either team. Constant mediocrity or 5 of the last 6 cups? Hmmm... :laugh:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Not just the biggest threat to Chicago.

Outside of Washington or a history PDO bender by some dark horse team, it's hard to visualize anybody beating the Kings in a 7 game series.

And honestly, if 3v3 had been a thing last year instead of the shootout, they probably make the playoffs and meet the Blackhawks in the WCF again.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Not just the biggest threat to Chicago.

Outside of Washington or a history PDO bender by some dark horse team, it's hard to visualize anybody beating the Kings in a 7 game series.

And honestly, if 3v3 had been a thing last year instead of the shootout, they probably make the playoffs and meet the Blackhawks in the WCF again.

If, woulda, coulda, shoulda, outta, no way of knowing for sure JD. It just was'nt meant to be.

Personally i think that the Ducks were the team to beat in Pacific last season, imo of course. Was also their year to choke again ;)

Seems darryl is giving Kopitar a ton of minutes, wonder if that will drag him down come po time? also wondering what their Cap will look like after resigning him?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
If, woulda, coulda, shoulda, outta, no way of knowing for sure JD. It just was'nt meant to be.

Personally i think that the Ducks were the team to beat in Pacific last season, imo of course. Was also their year to choke again ;)

Seems darryl is giving Kopitar a ton of minutes, wonder if that will drag him down come po time? also wondering what their Cap will look like after resigning him?

I guess.

The shootout is basically a coin-flip, so yeah, LA and their fans had to live with woulda, coulda, shoulda, but at the end of the day it was luck moreso than quality play that kept the Kings out of the playoffs over the likes of Calgary or Vancouver.

Church of Toews*

Cant see Chicago winning it this year unless a line outside of the P-Arty line starts producing consistently. As of right now I'm not sold on any team outside of La and the Caps. Stars run and gun game will dry up like it did for the 2010 caps. Nashville and Minnesota until they get the #1 center both have been craving they'll be held back imo. La and Caps are more balanced than the rest of the pack

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
If Dallas secures a defenseman and Nashville a top six center, they also become very real threats even in our own division.

I still think it comes down to LA and Washington, but I'm interested to see who else picks it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad