Is LA the only threat?

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Alright let's be honest here. Is LA the only threat to the Hawks winning another Cup? They are having a great season. I know last year when Calgary beat the Kings to knock them out it was purely academic that the cup was coming back. Does anyone agree with me on this point?

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
LA, Anaheim, a revenge-minded Minnesota, Dallas and even the Blackhawks' own fatigue and roster turnover are threats. I'm still very confident they'll make the playoffs but winning the Cup is always difficult and impossible to be certain about.

If you were certain going into last year's playoffs, more power to you.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
LA, Anaheim, a revenge-minded Minnesota, Dallas and even the Blackhawks' own fatigue and roster turnover are threats. I'm still very confident they'll make the playoffs but winning the Cup is always difficult and impossible to be certain about.

If you were certain going into last year's playoffs, more power to you.

Minnesota you would think would have been motivated for revenge last year and it was the easiest series of the 3 against them. Dallas has yet to play a meaningful game with their core, young defence, Anaheim took their best shot last year and came out and is fatigue and roster turnover really a thing to be worried about considering this team over the past 7 years? I don't see it

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
The Hawks biggest threat is themselves. 1/3 of the way in to the season and they only have one line producing. That needs to change.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
No. I don't agree in any way shape or form. IF Chicago even makes the playoffs they would be considered favorites by some by virtue of their reputation not current talent

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
No. I don't agree in any way shape or form. IF Chicago even makes the playoffs they would be considered favorites by some by virtue of their reputation not current talent

Hmm Kane Toews Hossa Panerin Seabrook Keith Hjarmarsson Anisimov not sure any teams even come close to competing with that other than LA

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
I don't think LA is the ONLY threat but I understand what you are saying.

For how good the Central division is in the regular season, none of those teams except the Hawks have proven anything in the postseason in recent years. Dallas may be running away with the Central division at the moment, but we'll see what they manage to accomplish in the playoffs considering they have very little playoff experience. Blues continue to have difficulties making it past the first round, Wild have yet to prove they can make it past Chicago (was hilarious to see them get swept last year after all the trash-talking from their fans prior to the series). Preds -- not much playoff experience. Jets -- that franchise still has yet to win a single playoff game.

And then the Pacific -- Ducks have their own issues at the moment, Sharks are not exactly known for playoff success, Canucks are in free-fall right now.

Hawks don't need to worry about Eastern Conference teams until potentially the SCF -- and if the Hawks make it all the way there I would have no reason not to have confidence in them.

Experience really does matter. Tampa Bay fans tried to brush it off as being an overblown factor, but look what happened in the end.

I know I know "it's a very different Blackhawks team this year," but the Hawks still have MOST of their core that won three cups, and that would certainly come into play in the postseason. Playing the same team over and over in a best-of-7 series is a whole different animal than the regular season, and the Hawks' core has proven they can step it up when it matters.

They've just got to make sure they actually make the playoffs, though. Getting some scoring from players other than the PAK line would help.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hawks will have some formidable competition from within their own division and conference. If healthy, Stars, Ducks, Blues and of course LA will all be tough to beat and Preds, Wild are dark horses that can peak at the right time.

So far it looks like the East will pose a much bigger threat than they have recently. I won't be surprised if the odds makers have Caps as the SC favorites, come Spring. Rangers and TB are not slouches either.

As I've said since day one of this season, goaltending will be front and center more than ever in dictating Blackhawks fate this season.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Alright let's be honest here. Is LA the only threat to the Hawks winning another Cup? They are having a great season. I know last year when Calgary beat the Kings to knock them out it was purely academic that the cup was coming back. Does anyone agree with me on this point?

I don't agree with this at all.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

Wut? Strongly disagree. Not even remotely close.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013

We are currently fighting for the last WC spot, have a roster with 40% new players, have a team loaded with 4th liners, getting very uneven goaltending, and have only one line scoring for us. Whatever you are smoking can I have some, this team is nowhere near a contender at the moment and certainly below many teams in the conference. This is not just a case of "flip the switch", this roster is nowhere near the level of our cup winning teams.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
They're not the only threat to the Blackhawks, but they're either the best or the 2nd best team in the league depending on how much faith you have in Washington.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I dont exactly know who's going to be available, but If Dallas makes a move for a defensman they are going to be for real. I still don't believe the Ducks are done. They have assets to make a big splash. I like Washington this year as well.

Way too early for this thread. Have to wait until atleast after the trade deadline.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Its us, then them, then a gap....then the Blues...then another gap....then everyone else. So yeah pretty much. Nobody scares me in a playoff series if we're fully healthy.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think Montreal will be a real threat once Price is completely healthy (assuming so). Rangers, Caps. I keep doubting the Stars, but they aren't letting up. I guess we'll see what they are like once we play them. . LA is obvious, but I still think we are better than them.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Some here think the Kings, Caps & Stars are going to keep this pace? most likely not and don't forget that with the league parity they may expend all their energy by PO time.....just never know.

The last i looked the season is only a little over a quarter of the way thru, the teams that come thru in the PO are the ones that stay somewhat healthy and some with PO experience (both important factors).

Yeah the Hawks are not playing near their potential BUT they have been in every game. If we were getting blown out there would be some concern, all it takes is some consistent scoring other than line 2 and good goaltending and we will be ok.

Aside from Kings, don't rule out the Bolts, they are playing .500 but they have been good defensively, like Hawks though just not scoring and they know now how to make a run to the Finals....it's a long season.

Also a good move by a solid team before TDL could also be a difference maker....ie Hawks = Vermy last season, Kings = Gaborik in 2014.

Hawks4life

Apr 3, 2011
when injuries, slumps and adversity strikes at any point during a season, the only threat is everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad