Is king Karl defying makars premature generational label?

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
So you're saying that playing with Mackinnon, Landy, Rantanen and Kadri is the same as playing with Mark Stone, Bobby Ryan, Clarke McCarthur and co?

Does Adam Fox put up the same amount of points on the Coyotes or Kraken that he does with the Rangers? Probably not.

Karlsson never played with a player as good as Rantanen in Ottawa, let alone Mackinnon.
So… why when he went to the sharks ( who were a good team) with Pavalski, Thornton Marleau, Hertl, Burns, Vlasic etc. did he turn into a 30- 40 point d man? Try harder, wrong narrative. Truth is he plays better when his teams are shit. Playing with better players and teams don’t always equal better stats and Karlsson is living proof.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Of course you would. I bet you also now think Georgiev is a generational goalie as well. The Avs are apparently the best team that's ever played as they have a full line of generational players. Never been seen before until this Avs team.

Generational team couldn't beat an AHL goalie the other night apparently though. Funny how that works.
Funny how you don’t talk about the sweep the year before when they made Binnington look like an AHL goalie

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Catastrophic might sound like the wrong word here, but players that make 10M$+ do have to carry extra responsibility. Im basically throwing him under the bus for what his team has accomplished, but I feel like that is fair considering his status.

It’s not

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
So… why when he went to the sharks ( who were a good team) with Pavalski, Thornton Marleau, Hertl, Burns, Vlasic etc. did he turn into a 30- 40 point d man? Try harder, wrong narrative. Truth is he plays better when his teams are shit. Playing with better players and teams don’t always equal better stats and Karlsson is living proof.
The sharks were a good team for ONE year Karlsson has been there, in which he scored 45 points in 53 games. When did he turn into a 30-40 point dman? In his entire tenure with the sharks hes been scoring at a 0.72 points/game pace, which would average 59 points/82 game season.

How about you try harder and look up stats before calling others out.

Yes Karlsson thrives when he gets the puck more. I'm sure if he was passing the puck to some of those Avs players it would give him some more assists than some of the rosters he's had over his career though.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Karlsson never played with a forward group that Makar walked into right away. His best forward was 60 point Mark Stone. Makar's rookie year Mackinnon had 93 points in 69 games.

Karlsson playing with a lack of talent means the opposition can key in on him more because the others aren't the same threat. On Colorado if you key in on Makar that opens up Mackinnon, Landy, Rantanen and Kadri when he was there. What a dumb argument.
Might as well call every top 15 players the 2nd best player in the league if they played with McDavid. To me your argument is close to the one used against Draisaitl when called the 2nd best player in the league. "He plays with McDavid if X player played with him he would be as productive as Drai right now." Fact is that we don't know maybe Makar produces even more when he doesn't have to defect the puck to Mack or maybe with the lack of talent he rushes even more or play similar to how Karlsson played back then. Again we don't know we can only speculate.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Might as well call every top 15 players the 2nd best player in the league if they played with McDavid. To me your argument is close to the one used against Draisaitl when called the 2nd best player in the league. "He plays with McDavid if X player played with him he would be as productive as Drai right now." Fact is that we don't know maybe Makar produces even more when he doesn't have to defect the puck to Mack or maybe with the lack of talent he rushes even more or play similar to how Karlsson played back then. Again we don't know we can only speculate.

Given the crazy production he had on a very mediocre UMass team before coming to Colorado, I think he'd probably be OK anywhere.

Reactions: Spilot23

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No. Makar is our thing. Go make a thread about Doughty.

1668615923638.png

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
Makar will never finish 4th in overall scoring. He is carried by mackinnon, rantanten and landeskog

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Of course you would. I bet you also now think Georgiev is a generational goalie as well. The Avs are apparently the best team that's ever played as they have a full line of generational players. Never been seen before until this Avs team.

Generational team couldn't beat an AHL goalie the other night apparently though. Funny how that works.
I'm glad beating Colorado in a November game without Landeskog, Nishukin, Byram and Girard numbs the pain of getting eliminated by the same team two years in a row. Hopefully you're sleeping better now.

On the bright side you can't get eliminated by the Avs if you don't make the playoffs.

Reactions: tucker3434

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
In fairness, that was a fluke and Karlsson will never repeat it again.
He's got 2 norris seasons, one with 78 points (10th highest in scoring) and one with 82 (4th highest in scoring). Which one is the "fluke" season?

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Whether or not Makar or Karlsson are generational, how does Karlsson’s current season have anything to do with Makar? Can there not be more than one generational player at a time?

Crosby, Ovechkin, and McDavid are all generational players, and whether or not one has the better year than the other two doesn’t change that.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Makar isn't generational, and EK sure as hell isn't either.

But gun to my head, if I had to pick one, I'd say Makar is closer to generational talent.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
The top 4, and who said anything about his Norris being a fluke? He was just lucky a lot of the top scorers that year, missed a lot of games.
So it's a fluke and he's lucky to finish top 4, but when he finishes top 10 that's not a fluke? I don't understand your logic here.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
On the topic, since the Sharks have said they're going to listen to offers- I highly doubt Karlsson is getting moved anywhere. His contract is too large and he's on the wrong side of 30.

The sharks would have to eat so much of his cap hit for so many years, that for it to work for any team, that it wouldn't be worth it to SJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad