Is Kevin Lowe Still Running the Oilers?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
It is an appropriate response. You post was a template for it.

I've heard the same old song and dance from you and a few other posters for the past decade. It's always someone else's fault even when given conflicting evidence. Lowe, MacT, Howson, they all have their hands in there or they wouldn't have jobs but according to some they are always blameless.

Must be nice to just bring in the patsies every few years and never have to face the music.

If this is what you are getting out of what I've been writing then you've missed my point entirely. It also doesn't change the fact that when I pointed out that your post was based on an outright fabrication of the facts you responded by trying to insult my intelligence.

I think we're done here. Have a nice day.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
He was viewed as such because his team was winning, not because he was this genius that put together a Stanley Cup winner from scratch.

He was handed that Bruins team on a silver platter with pieces in place, and all he had to do was not **** it up. That's not rewriting history.
The Bruins stopped losing and became contenders and eventually won the cup under his tenure. You can be given the pieces but you just don’t “luck” into that. I think it’s very dishonest not to acknowledge that he was seen as one of the better GM’s in the league between 2008-2012.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
If this is what you are getting out of what I've been writing then you've missed my point entirely. It also doesn't change the fact that when I pointed out that your post was based on an outright fabrication of the facts you responded by trying to insult my intelligence.

I think we're done here. Have a nice day.

You literally just defended MacT and Lowe in this thread. lol

Yup. Have a nice day.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Do you not understand their positions?

They're both Vice Chairs. They share a seat on the OEG board of directors.

Lowe's Alternate Governor title allows him to go to Board of Governor type meetings in Katz's place.

They're just there to grow the OEG brand.

"Iconic Oilers captain and all-time hockey great, Gretzky works closely with the OEG team on the commercial side of the business to attract world-class sports and entertainment partnerships and events to Rogers Place, as well as supporting development initiatives in ICE District."

"Lowe has been instrumental in the renewed success of the team, both on and off the ice. In his role he continues to work towards and promote the growth and development of Oilers Entertainment Group in its many new business initiatives, as well as continue to work closely with OEG Chief Executive Officer and Vice Chair Bob Nicholson, on the growth of Oilers Entertainment Group."

Paid hacks write a paid hacks article.

That's proof? Where is all the business experience the poster questioned?

This thread is rife with the backfire effect. Just double down when given conflicting evidence.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Bruins stopped losing and became contenders and eventually won the cup under his tenure. You can be given the pieces but you just don’t “luck” into that. I think it’s very dishonest not to acknowledge that he was seen as one of the best GM’s in the league between 2008-2012.
No, it's not dishonest. It's exactly what happened. You can give him credit for signing Zdeno Chara, sure. He came into a Bruins team that already had drafted Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci, and just a couple of weeks after he was hired was able to select Phil Kessel, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand. I don't give him credit for those picks outside of Kessel, as it's usually the GM that has final say on the 1st round picks (especially high end 1st's) but the scouting staff for the latter rounds.

He also had Tim Thomas already on the Bruins roster, as well.

He was seen as a great executive due to the Bruins winning. Not because he built a powerhouse himself.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
No, it's not dishonest. It's exactly what happened. You can give him credit for signing Zdeno Chara, sure. He came into a Bruins team that already had drafted Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci, and just a couple of weeks after he was hired was able to select Phil Kessel, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand. I don't give him credit for those picks outside of Kessel, as it's usually the GM that has final say on the 1st round picks (especially high end 1st's) but the scouting staff for the latter rounds.

He was seen as a great executive due to the Bruins winning. Not because he built a powerhouse himself.

Yup, and if not for Tim Thomas going on one of the most insane goalie runs in playoff history the B's would be Cupless under his tenure.
Chia then goes ahead and trades Seguin for peanuts because of "toughness".

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He was listening to Bob Greene and Reinhart's former junior coach Derek Laxdal if I remember the rumours correctly.

Chiarelli's trades and weird overpay contracts feel far more like his final years in Boston than Lowe's time in Edmonton.
Yes. Oiler management has always been good at the rumors....

You can start to see the Lowe was a great GM coming from certain circles as they test the waters for his potential return.

I've watched this same play for over a decade. The next picked GM will come in and all the old gang will tell him how they knew what was going on but Chia wouldn't listen and Bah blah blah.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes. Oiler management has always been good at the rumors....

You can start to see the Lowe was a great GM coming from certain circles as they test the waters for his potential return.

I've watched this same play for over a decade. The next picked GM will come in and all the old gang will tell him how they knew what was going on but Chia wouldn't listen and Bah blah blah.

I've watched it too, trust me. I highly doubt that Lowe will return. Even if Katz wanted him too, when he "stepped down" it sounded like he had enough of being the public whipping boy. And for the Oilers, that's really what I think the GM is. The one who takes the public floggings while the entire leadership team works together to screw up something that shouldn't be incredibly difficult - building a competitive hockey team with the best player in the world already on your roster.

Edmonton does need to change how they do things in the front office. The have said often that the GM isn't the only guy who makes the calls, that it is a team that builds the Oilers roster. I don't think we can know for sure how much input MacTavish, Gretzky, Nicholson and Lowe have, how often they show up to the office, or any of that sort of thing, the only thing I know for sure is that, as a fan, I'm damn tired of whoever is steering this ship running it aground. There needs to be some accountability, and it needs to be more than a Chiarelli firing and replacing him with whatever new ex-Oilers wants to try being a GM (I'm guessing that it's Messier's turn).

Reactions: KarmaPolice

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Paid hacks write a paid hacks article.

That's proof? Where is all the business experience the poster questioned?

This thread is rife with the backfire effect. Just double down when given conflicting evidence.

You realize for a "backfire effect" you actually need to produce some evidence to be resisted, right?

Unless you consider some tinfoil hat stuff evidence, you might want to rethink using that term.

Walkingthroughforest

Aug 19, 2007

This is insane to argue with. If you don’t think a GM has a great effect on the direction and success of a team 4 years after their core players are drafted, i’m not sure what to tell you.

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Kevin Lowe wasn't a great GM but he was so much better than Pistol Pete I don't really understand how people can try to force this connection other than wishful thinking.

They're still mad that Lowe knows how to win

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
It's been the same terrible decision making for over 10 years. I think it's all pretty obvious what's going on.

I'm not saying Lowe is running things. There's much more to it than that; that is always the case in any terribly run company or organization.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
10 years ago never thought id say it but history has been kind to Lowe.

Who knew the team would hire 3 worse GMs back to back to back.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Lowe is still heavily involved in the running of the team.

Nicholson stinks
Lowe stinks
Mctavish stinks
Chia stinks
Green stinks
Howson stinks
All pro scouting stinks
Amateur scouting stinks (despite many oiler fans thinking otherwise)

and most of all the owner stinks.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Lowe is still heavily involved in the running of the team.

Nicholson stinks
Lowe stinks
Mctavish stinks
Chia stinks
Green stinks
Howson stinks
All pro scouting stinks
Amateur scouting stinks (despite many oiler fans thinking otherwise)

and most of all the owner stinks.

A collection of fools running the show for longer than any sane owner should ever let them. Sounds about right.

Oh, and most of them will probably be around a LOT longer, too. I'm beginning to think Katz' modus operandi is just to collect the earnings from the team while at the same time giving the middle finger to the fans and laughing. Maybe he was pushed around a lot as a kid, and this is his payback.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This is insane to argue with. If you don’t think a GM has a great affect on the direction and success of a team 4 years after their core players are drafted, i’m not sure what to tell you.
How is a GM who had almost everything in place when he arrived in Boston being given this much credit by you?

Once again, all he had to do was NOT **** UP. And he didn't. Kudos to him for that.

He had the exact same assignment in Edmonton, only he has created an unmitigated disaster by trading Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, the 1st round pick that became Mathew Barzal, and signing Milan Lucic.

Reactions: Kodiak64

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Coming from Ottawa to Boston he was regarded as a "capologist" which looking at his FA signings thru the years makes you wonder why in regards to both money and term he has handed out. Oh, and the always included NTC & NMC he loved sprinkling into contracts like confectionary sugar :banghead:
I had no idea. That makes his signings even more confusing lol.

Walkingthroughforest

Aug 19, 2007
How is a GM who had almost everything in place when he arrived in Boston being given this much credit by you?

Once again, all he had to do was NOT **** UP. And he didn't. Kudos to him for that.

He had the exact same assignment in Edmonton, only he has created an unmitigated disaster by trading Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, the 1st round pick that became Mathew Barzal, and signing Milan Lucic.
Because asset and talant management is a HUGE part of the role. There is no way, zero way that they knew what they had Marchand and Lucic. He He also traded for Chara, Peverly, Horton, Ference, Boychuk, Kelly and Seidenberg, who were all vitally important to that run.

Hate him all you want for the Oilers, but his fingerprints were all over that 2011 team.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The Bruins stopped losing and became contenders and eventually won the cup under his tenure. You can be given the pieces but you just don’t “luck” into that. I think it’s very dishonest not to acknowledge that he was seen as one of the better GM’s in the league between 2008-2012.
It doesn’t matter what he was seen as. He didn’t trade for Chara either.

Jeff Gorton appears to be executing the same plan that turned Boston around - FOREVER BLUESHIRTS

Gorton’s moves are still paying off huge for the Bruins, even 13 years later.

Last edited:

Walkingthroughforest

Aug 19, 2007
It doesn’t matter what he was seen as. He didn’t trade for Chara either.

Jeff Gorton appears to be executing the same plan that turned Boston around - FOREVER BLUESHIRTS
Sorry, I was quoting the user before about Chara without checking.

It absolutely does matter what he was seen as, because his moves produced a Stanley Cup winner and perennial contender.

And the goal posts keep moving here. I stated that he was seen as a great executive in the league for years. You can go back to 2011 and look at the threads on here if you don’t believe me.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Because asset and talant management is a HUGE part of the role. There is no way, zero way that they knew what they had Marchand and Lucic. He He also traded for Chara, Peverly, Horton, Ference, Boychuk, Kelly and Seidenberg, who were all vitally important to that run.

Hate him all you want for the Oilers, but his fingerprints were all over that 2011 team.
Wasn’t chara a free agent signing . He probably did come cuz of chia to Boston but it was under the previous gms tenure cuz chia was still technically under contract with the sens right ? Either way I do give him credit for that but he also overpaid everyone after the cup run and forced the team to rebuild

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Wasn’t chara a free agent signing . He probably did come cuz of chia to Boston but it was under the previous gms tenure cuz chia was still technically under contract with the sens right ? Either way I do give him credit for that but he also overpaid everyone after the cup run and forced the team to rebuild
Chara was Gorton, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad