Is Kevin Lowe Still Running the Oilers?

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
If he wants to make hockey decisions, then I think he probably does. Is there anyone he has to answer to?

If he doesn’t make hockey decisions, then he has a large say in who does, I think.

I hope they’re not sucking up hockey resources.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
We go nowhere near that cup final if we arent gift wrapped pronger by pleau. Can lowe be blamed for what happened to eberle?

Chia is worse than useless. At least a useless GM will do nothing.
chia traded for talbot who was the main reason why the oilers made the playoffs in 2017, the first time in a decade. he did more than "nothing".

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Why are you making it sound like he was a reach when almost everyone had him unanimously, albeit perhaps tentatively, the favorite to go 1st overall that year.
Oilers management was going to take Murrey who is a respectable top 4 dman so at least they would have had him instead of nothing if Katz didnt interfere.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
chia traded for talbot who was the main reason why the oilers made the playoffs in 2017, the first time in a decade. he did more than "nothing".

And now he has basically let Talbot walk for nothing by taking a flyer on an unproven transfer from the KHL. Talbot (who cant show up for the game until the first shot has passed him by) will be UFA next year, think we can get back the 2nd round pick we lost to acquire him? Doubt it.

Also, who cares that we made the playoffs in 2017? Really. Getting to the playoffs isnt a one time affair - you made it, all is forgiven. Getting to the playoffs needs to be a sustainable endeavour...it's not a mark of success to make the playoffs for the first time in ten years if you're going to miss the next 5...

Reactions: Jamin

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Lost me in the first paragraph.

"It doesn’t make sense that in the 11 years since Lowe was “fired” from the Oilers, three GM's have come through the door and almost all the moves look and feel indistinguishable from the GM before them."

Tambellini was fully different from Lowe, has the nickname mr dithers for a reason. Chia was fully different. Easily worst in oilers history by a lot. Notice Gretzky is immediately undoing all the Chia moves one by one.

The moves are very easily indistinguishable. They all sucked and the team sucks but it's easy to tell a chia move from a Lowe move from a Tambellini not doing anything.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Sather said he started negotiations with Mac T and would've finished trade with whoever they hired. Chia really didn't do nothing. He gutted the team of skill and handed out big cap killing contracts to grinders.

Nothing would've been better then Chia

Reactions: RegDunlop

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why is this a thought from the OP? If Lowe was still in charge of things, Chiarelli would still have a job, and Keith Gretzky wouldn't be trying to rid the Oilers of Chiarelli's crap!

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Sather said he started negotiations with Mac T and would've finished trade with whoever they hired. Chia really didn't do nothing. He gutted the team of skill and handed out big cap killing contracts to grinders.

Nothing would've been better then Chia

Generally regarded as a 'present' from Slats to the Oil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad