TSN: Is Kessel the New Sundin?

AK1990

Nov 20, 2011
I was watching TSN Top 10 about the trade that brought Sundin, arguably one of the greatest IF not the greatest to ever dawn the maple leaf of their chest.

At first people questioned his heart, passion and willingness to lead. This seems to be the same for Kessel. We all can agree he's got world class skill and talent and ability to put up points. Yet, he doesn't get the proper praise and recognition. People often argue he should be moved cause he isn't what wins you championships. How is a 26 turning 27 year old point per game winger who is the cornerstone of this teams offensive production. He's shown commitment to this city (a guy who apparently hates the spot light WANTED to stay here for the next 8 years of his life).

I understand that Kessel trade came with the departures of Futures, one of which is now a franchise #1 centre in Seguin & still potential top 2 defenseman in Hamilton. However, Sundin came at the cost of a former #1 overall and a good o'l Canadian boy that was the life line to this hockey team.

my question to you, when will this city finally acknowledge how great Kessel truly is. Will it be when he's retired or perhaps if he ends up leaving via trade one day.

He might not be the Leafs next captain, however he should be THE MOST UNTOUCHABLE PLAYER on this team. No question about it in my mind.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ideally, he plays the remainder of his career in Toronto, and we win a cup or two with him

Ace88*

Hes not the new Sundin. Hes Phil Kessel, one of the best RWs in the game. We're lucky to have him and theres a real good chance he retires with the most points a leaf has ever recorded, cant we just leave it at that?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
The only thing comparable between the two are the way they can produce offense. Mats by using his size to his advantage and Kessel by using his speed.

But there the similarities stop.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I was watching TSN Top 10 about the trade that brought Sundin, arguably one of the greatest IF not the greatest to ever dawn the maple leaf of their chest.

At first people questioned his heart, passion and willingness to lead. This seems to be the same for Kessel. We all can agree he's got world class skill and talent and ability to put up points. Yet, he doesn't get the proper praise and recognition. People often argue he should be moved cause he isn't what wins you championships. How is a 26 turning 27 year old point per game winger who is the cornerstone of this teams offensive production. He's shown commitment to this city (a guy who apparently hates the spot light WANTED to stay here for the next 8 years of his life).

I understand that Kessel trade came with the departures of Futures, one of which is now a franchise #1 centre in Seguin & still potential top 2 defenseman in Hamilton. However, Sundin came at the cost of a former #1 overall and a good o'l Canadian boy that was the life line to this hockey team.

my question to you, when will this city finally acknowledge how great Kessel truly is. Will it be when he's retired or perhaps if he ends up leaving via trade one day.

He might not be the Leafs next captain, however he should be THE MOST UNTOUCHABLE PLAYER on this team. No question about it in my mind.

He is not the best player to wear the Leaf jersey! It is not even close. However Kessel will not be in the same conversation as Sundin.

Kessel will never be anything more then a very skilled player, he is not a leader, and has been a big part of the colossal collapses we have experienced. He is soft and that does not change, players like Kessel drop off in production very fast. He is far from a player that you build around.....and should never be considered untouchable.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Pretty different scenarios. The Kessel trade pretty much worked out as well as it could have. Had the leafs lost a 2nd and 9th overall pick in 2 great drafts and Kessel didn't grow into the player he is today, it would be a really different perspective. That was entirely a possibility when the trade happened. I think thats why most like me are still hesitant to love Kessel, this isnt a guy we picked up without great cost. I am converting fast though.

Sundin on the other hand was a 1st overall that had amazing performance in his 4 rookie seasons with the nordiques and was had for a bargain by comparison, likely because of Quebecs depth with Forsberg on the team. An aging Wendel Clark playing his typical physical brand of hockey coming off a career year that many knew he would not be able to maintain. I loved Wendel Clark as a kid but even I loved this trade and was pumped at the potential of Sundin and having a skilled #1C to build around.

The conversation is really more about the xenophobia many "leaf fans" have for non canadians, its the only explanation why people didn't love Sundin and perhaps part of why Kessel isn't immediately loved by the masses

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I really like how Kessels game has improved, and he has largely shown that he shows up in the playoffs(PPG in 21 games) so it's hard to say anything bad against him outside of his defence(and to his credit, he DOES backcheck from time to time, he could do it more, but I have seen him use his speed and make a smart play).

the problem is the supporting cast has not improved at all, yet some people still focus on him for our problems. Our key problem is the rest of the team not actually being able to cycle, play defence or get out of our zone, yes he is part of that, but the fact that he's such a powerful offensive piece means we should be focusing on upgrading other pieces around him.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I really like how Kessels game has improved, and he has largely shown that he shows up in the playoffs(PPG in 21 games) so it's hard to say anything bad against him outside of his defence(and to his credit, he DOES backcheck from time to time, he could do it more, but I have seen him use his speed and make a smart play).

the problem is the supporting cast has not improved at all, yet some people still focus on him for our problems. Our key problem is the rest of the team not actually being able to cycle, play defence or get out of our zone, yes he is part of that, but the fact that he's such a powerful offensive piece means we should be focusing on upgrading other pieces around him.

So it is ok that he only back checks once in a while, and gives away the puck out of fear. That is not a glowing endorsement.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I would say Kessel is the new Vaive. Skilled player, but 20 years later nobody will even talk about him because he's had zero playoff runs (barring that changing).

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Well if he is the new Sundin (played here for 13 seasons), Kessel has 8 more years (hey 8 year contract) and in the last 3 should not make it back to playoffs as management traded away everything in an attempt to find him washed up help instead of drafting.
That would make him the new Sundin.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Kessel is a one-dimensional winger that costs his line as many scoring chances against as he creates and needs 5 other players on the ice to shelter his absolutely invisible defensive game.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Around this time in Sundins career, a lot still hated him for not being Wendel. If Phil keeps doing what he's doing he's going to break some Leafs records.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sundin was a player you build a team upon.

Kessel is a player you build a team around.

One carries his team and the other needs others to carry it for him.

Big difference.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I think he's the best pure goal scorer we've ever seen. There aren't many in the history of the game that can take a snapshot like him.

It's the rest of his game that leaves it to be desired. To win the Cup we need to be able to defend, not score goals..

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Phil Kessel is Phil Kessel. I don't have a need to compare players to past ones. It's unfair to them.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Nobody ever won a Stanley Cup in a 0-0 game

And you can't win a game when your best player is a liability on the ice in the defensive zone.

If Kessel was Kane, we'd be better off. Kane goes and gets the puck. Kessel doesn't. Kane's ability to get take aways, stick lift the puck and get it, and actually get in the way of shots is way different then Kessel's defensive ability.

Watch Kane actually play. Then go and watch Kessel. They have the same offensive instincts but Kane wants and gets the puck 100% more. Kessel gets the puck because everyone on his line gives it to him. Kane gets the puck because he takes it from people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad