Is Jonathan Marchessault legit?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Makes no sense why FLA let him go for nothing.

At least trade him he must of had some value in prospects or picks.

Maybe he doesn't score 30 but at his contract it doesn't matter.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Makes no sense why FLA let him go for nothing.

At least trade him he must of had some value in prospects or picks.

Maybe he doesn't score 30 but at his contract it doesn't matter.

McPhee has definitely made some turd trades, but the one with Florida was a pretty damn good deal for Vegas.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If he was playing somewhere else, perhaps. I'm not really convinced that he could have repeated his season if he was still in Florida... playing in LV, I think it's a longshot to even come close.

Good solid top 9 skilled winger... and one I'd be happy to have on the Pens, but not someone who I think will be putting up anything close to 30 goals next season. But that's more of an indictment on the talent that will be surrounding him then him himself.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
If he was playing somewhere else, perhaps. I'm not really convinced that he could have repeated his season if he was still in Florida... playing in LV, I think it's a longshot to even come close.

Good solid top 9 skilled winger... and one I'd be happy to have on the Pens, but not someone who I think will be putting up anything close to 30 goals next season. But that's more of an indictment on the talent that will be surrounding him then him himself.

How so? He didn't have a ton of talent to play with in Florida last season, Barkov was injured for a bit and played with Huberdeau when he came back, almost everyone else either declined due to age or underachieved. Panthers were 23th in GF, and Marchessault had the most goals on the team.

I actually think he has a better chance to score more on a bad team.. mostly because he's the type of player who easily gets thrown down the depth chart if you have other productive players who are just bigger or better 2-way. He has the talent to put the puck in the back of the net if he gets his opportunities.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How so? He didn't have a ton of talent to play with in Florida last season, Barkov was injured for a bit and played with Huberdeau when he came back, almost everyone else either declined due to age or underachieved. Panthers were 23th in GF, and Marchessault had the most goals on the team.

I actually think he has a better chance to score more on a bad team.. mostly because he's the type of player who easily gets thrown down the depth chart if you have other productive players who are just bigger or better 2-way. He has the talent to put the puck in the back of the net if he gets his opportunities.

Barkov still played 61 games, and put up 51 pts. And while FLA isn't a team loaded in talent... they certainly have more than what he'll get in LV. It's not just the forward group, but the blueline as well. Someone has to be able to get him the puck. Not to mention that the moment he falters, LV has multiple other established top 6 wingers to take his place. Neal, Perron or Smith can all easily take his spot with Ship. And if he's not playing with him, his chances go from low to damn near non-existant to repeat the season he had last year.

Maybe he'll prove us all wrong... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

FLPANTHERS

Jun 12, 2017
Miami
He has a legit shot. He's very small but can still throw around his weight well. I watched every panther game last season, he shoots from anywhere and everywhere. Exactly what Florida needed when no one wanted to play for Tom Rowe who fired gallant and became coach. Marchy also played injured for part of the year. Not sure if he can repeat 30 goals but he can prob break at least 20 as a top 6 forward.

It must be said that Florida did not give away marchessault for nothing. The move was long term used to clear some cap space for free agency and keep bjugstad. Reilly smith's 5.5 mil contract with a modified no movement clause kicked in this season. This was the panthers last opportunity to get rid of it, especially when marchessault is approaching free agency this coming season and probably couldn't afford to resign him as he was due a huge pay raise. I would not have done it that way but Dale Tallon clearly wanted to clean house from moves Tom Rowe made and he loves bjugstad, and hated Reilly Smiths contract (negotiated by Tom Rowe). Reilly smith is not worth anything near 5.5.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think he'll get his career highs in Vegas and later down the stretch he's traded to a contender who fails to make it to the conference finals.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Exceeded expectations and became a B player at best. He'll regress and the Knights will suck, so I say 21 goals 19 assists -17.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad