Is Jonathan Marchessault legit?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Simple answer is no, my gut says one time wonder. Kind of like the year Jason Garrison, scored 16 goals and has come nowhere near since.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He'll get a lot of opportunities as he'll probably be on the first line with Shipachev and Perron/Neal so it's a possibility.

He probably won't hit 30 as the team gets deeper.

So no, I don't think he's a bona fide 30 goal scorer

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He's probably a 20 goal scorer in Vegas unless Ship dazzles and can fuel him for more.

I still think he was a great get for Vegas. 30 goal scorers are rare. It's not the end of the world that Vegas didn't get one for free.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If he's on the first line in Vegas and gets some decent PP time, he could hit 20-25 but I doubt he hits 30 again. Worst case scenario, 750k for a guy that may get you 15-20 on the low end is still a bargain.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not sure how he'll do long term with consistency but he's always been able to generate offense at the NHL level with his size and knows where to be to get scoring chances.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
He has the same coach he had last year: Gallant! :handclap: ... so,... likely.

He's making under 0.8 mill, is becoming a UFA after this coming season, and you can bet he'll get 25-ish goals, 50+ points. Take that to the bank! Or Vegas. ;)

sfl-panthers-forward-jonathan-marchessault-video-20161014

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He's a legit NHLer though. He's probably not going to hit 30 again, but 15-20 from a middle-six role seems entirely reasonable.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I have said it for a while, he reminds me a lot of Danny Briere. He's incredibly tenacious and it's not something that he gets a ton of credit for. He also has an absurd ability to one-time the puck where other players would have to settle it. It's especially effective on the PP. He'll get all the prime PP minutes in Vegas and even though his shooting percentage will 100% go down, his shot opportunities should increase with higher priority deployment in offensive situations. His shot is just next level good. Just look at how replicable these goals are:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
From what i saw from him last season, he definitely looks like a guy who could be a 25 goalscorer moving forward.

At the same time, i thought he had some favorable bounces as well (and just the hot stick in general), so 30 goals probably is an anomaly at least for now, but if everything goes well for him in Vegas, who is to say he couldn't score 30 again sometime in his career?

I think bigger question for Marchessault is his overall game. Being small and suspect in his own zone is not a great combination. Kind of reminds me of Conacher the way he lit up the AHL, flashed some good production in the NHL and then just hit a wall. So i guess you never know.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Probably not but I think he has enough hockey IQ to stick around in the NHL as a bottom 6 guy.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
I mean why not? He's getting a top role in Vegas and gets to play with good line mates. If he's a bust he can be thrown under the bus easily.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I think last year was a career year, so no I don't expect him to be flirting with 30 goals each year...but there's no reason why he can't be a productive middle sixer.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Still bitter we left him exposed.

I don't think 30 goals, but should be around the 20 mark.

Ever see me have to bull **** myself so much about anything as much as I have tried to end my tantrum on losing him? LOL

Hes not a fluke, hes legit. He didnt benefit from having an all star next to him or anything...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Still can't for the ****ing life of me figure out why Florida thought it was better to lose March and Smith rather than one of their defensemen. Just terrible.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Still can't for the ****ing life of me figure out why Florida thought it was better to lose March and Smith rather than one of their defensemen. Just terrible.

Agreed.

Smith was slightly overpaid, but was good on the PK and defensively. Solid second line winger.

Marchessault is an absolute bargain. Even if he has a down year, that is still a great value contract. And we got rid of both for a 4th, and to get rid of the costly Smith.

It was a lot about Tallon putting his stamp on the team, and undoing what the analytics boys did last year. I wasn't a huge fan of the new management from last year, but not everything they did was bad. The Marchessault being one of the good things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->