Is Jokerit entry in KHL plus or minus?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Okay, guys, prove it. I think I know who will have the last laugh.

I hope they will play KHL team pre season. It's arrogant attitude if you think KHL gap to Liiga is that huge, specially when it comes to worst teams. If you send some of your low end KHL teams to Oulu it's likely that they lose. Not that the game is "easily" won by Kärpät, but its easily possible. And I have nothing against KHL.

Liiga teams have won NHL teams and played even games with them, too. It's entirely likely that Kärpät beats some low end KHL teams.

Last time NHL visited Finland, Tappara won Panthers and Jokerit had OT loss against Ducks I think.

Last edited:

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Okay, guys, prove it. I think I know who will have the last laugh.

They should have NHL vs KHL in a real competition. Like the best 4 of each league play each other. KHL would get humiliated in every game.

The gap between NHL and KHL is a lot bigger than the gap between KHL and Liiga...

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
They should have NHL vs KHL in a real competition. Like the best 4 of each league play each other. KHL would get humiliated in every game.

The gap between NHL and KHL is a lot bigger than the gap between KHL and Liiga...

true and true, but so what? KHL is still better than any league in Europe, some marginally, some more.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I hope they will play KHL team pre season. It's arrogant attitude if you think KHL gap to Liiga is that huge, specially when it comes to worst teams. If you send some of your low end KHL teams to Oulu it's likely that they lose. Not that the game is "easily" won by Kärpät, but its easily possible. And I have nothing against KHL.

Liiga teams have won NHL teams and played even games with them, too. It's entirely likely that Kärpät beats some low end KHL teams.

Last time NHL visited Finland, Tappara won Panthers and Jokerit had OT loss against Ducks I think.

Lost 1-4

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty

It remidns me the words of one canadian journalists forecasting results of the Super Series (Canada vs. USSR). He had to eat his hat ;)

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava

In 2008 HC Slovan Bratislava lost to Tampa in shoutout. Tampa played in full strength with Stamkos, Lecavier, St. Louis etc and Slovan played in Slovak Extraliga..

Based on your logic, I guess this means that Slovak Extraliga was on similar level as NHL..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG4bIwky0V4

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
In 2008 HC Slovan Bratislava lost to Tampa in shoutout. Tampa played in full strength with Stamkos, Lecavier, St. Louis etc and Slovan played in Slovak Extraliga..

Based on your logic, I guess this means that Slovak Extraliga was on similar level as NHL..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG4bIwky0V4

I didin't say that Liiga is on par with NHL ;) The point remains: KHL gap for Liiga isn't very huge, and Kärpät would be able to beat some KHL teams for example, as originally discussed. The NHL games only stand as extra arguments.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
hope they will play KHL team pre season

Well, pre-season...

ZSC (Zürich) won the Victoria Cup against the Blackhawks back in 2009. So, was the Swiss league better than the NHL at this point? :laugh:

Or last pre-season. Ambri (7th of the Swiss league) has beaten CSKA Moskva, but lost to Fehérvar. So is the Swiss league better than the KHL, but worse than the Austrian league? :naughty:

I would say that the KHL is CLEARLY the best European league.
KHL
SHL
NLA
Liiga

BTT:
It's good for the KHL and Jokerit, but bad for the Liiga.

Kennel

Aug 17, 2012
Just for the record, this was posted by Finnish journalist Miika Arponen.
It's based on the stats of those players who have played in several leagues, but he didn't publish the source data or the algoritms so take it with a grain of salt.

At least it has lots of numbers so it has to be scientific. :nod:
uDa9eZE.png

(source)

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava
The NHL games only stand as extra arguments.

then it was very leaky argument

I didin't say that Liiga is on par with NHL The point remains: KHL gap for Liiga isn't very huge, and Kärpät would be able to beat some KHL teams for example, as originally discussed.

So your point is that Karpat (the current champion of Liiga) could easily beat the weakest KHL teams, therefore gap between leagues is not so huge?

Comparison of the weakest teams and league champion is funny way how to prove that you're right.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
We have to remember that the size of the KHL is around 30 teams. Liiga has only 14 teams.

In order to make team vs. team comparisons we would have to compare the weakest KHL teams to Suomi-sarja teams, because Liiga and Mestis combined have only 26 teams.

With a rapid expansion and foreign limits many KHL teams have some rather average players.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just for the record, this was posted by Finnish journalist Miika Arponen.
It's based on the stats of those players who have played in several leagues, but he didn't publish the source data or the algoritms so take it with a grain of salt.

At least it has lots of numbers so it has to be scientific. :nod:
uDa9eZE.png

(source)

I had trouble understanding what exactly this is supposed to say or tell. Seems he didn't understand himself either.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
then it was very leaky argument

So your point is that Karpat (the current champion of Liiga) could easily beat the weakest KHL teams, therefore gap between leagues is not so huge?

Comparison of the weakest teams and league champion is funny way how to prove that you're right.

Funny how it's an apt comparison when comparing the top KHL and the weakest NHL teams...

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Here is what Tommi Taimi thinks of the level of play in Liiga: "Kylmä fakta taas on, että jos haluaa kansainväliseksi huippupelaajaksi, SM-liiga ei ole silloin riittävä taso."

English translation: "It is a cold fact that if a player wants to become a top international player the level of SM-liiga is not good enough".
So why did he go back to HIFK then? I thought he stood up in a very positive way in Amur, and I'd be surprised if he couldn't get a contract with a KHL team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad