Is JM Liles Hurt? Why isn't he playing in the pre-season?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
You couldn't get one of those shiny fiberglass sticks for that package. Post-concussion Liles has never been the same and Colborne's upside is a less-talented version of Christian Hanson.
3.9M cap hit the next 3 years for Liles, who in their right mind would take that for anything?

I know that he's been bad this preseason but I really hope that you're being sarcastic.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
You couldn't get one of those shiny fiberglass sticks for that package. Post-concussion Liles has never been the same and Colborne's upside is a less-talented version of Christian Hanson.
3.9M cap hit the next 3 years for Liles, who in their right mind would take that for anything?

That's ok, we'll take those dull wooden junior sticks for them.

Personaally, I think Liles has value and can play on a bottom team. I guess the leafs are just trying to keep him healthy until injuries arise and perhaps the team might take him if they retained half the salary.

I don't think Liles is untradeable, worse contracts have been traded.

NoVe

Jul 24, 2011
BRAMTPON
Well, that would maybe have worked, but now with Clarkson out 10 games and his cap hit still there it doesn't work. You left $364k of cap space, but too bad we need to bring up another forward to have 13, and that player's caphit will be at least $550k. I highly doubt we run with just 12 forwards when 2 of them are McLaren n Orr. So, for the sake of arguing, I disagree and think that there has to be a trade. Doesn't have to necessarily be Liles, but ideally it would be.

Play Liles on the wing for the first 10 games..lol

leaky37

Sep 1, 2008
Just a thought...With Clarkson suspended for 10 games, and Rielly more then likely sticking around for 8-9 games, instead of having JML sitting in the press box eating up $3.9M cap. Why not try him on the wing as we are short on wingers anyways! He already has the skating ability and offensive side of the game. Couldn't hurt having him in a bottom 3 role with Colbourne, Orr/Ashton for the time being.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Kulemin + Liles to Edmonton for :dunno:

Kulemin is too valuable to this team this year. The guys that are coming up the ranks that could take his spot aren't ready yet.

NTM the fact that for the value of that package, they wouldn't have anything that we could use.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Toronto Maple Leafs 2013-14 Roster
FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / Mason Raymond ($1.000m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.700m) / Joe Colborne ($0.600m) / Colton Orr ($0.925m)
David Clarkson ($5.250m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Paul Ranger ($1.000m)
Cody Franson ($2.000m) / Mark Fraser ($1.275m)
John-Michael Liles ($3.875m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
OTHER
Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.778% of upper limit)
Matt Frattin ($0.437m—0.5%) Ben Scrivens ($0.062m—0.1%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,266,667; BONUSES: $300,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $333,333

If they need to they can always risk putting McLaren on waivers to move in a guy like Ashton/Leivo. Also, the Leafs could move Fraser/Liles to the Marlies if they want to make room for Rielly.

The disadvantage is playing with 12 forwards, but that shouldn't be an issue since it is only for the first 10 games, and like I explained, if they need more skill/speed than what McLaren offers, they can expose him to waivers. This happens a lot and is how we ended up with McLaren in the first place.

Worst case, we lose McLaren to waivers, and use Devane instead, which IMO is an improvement anyways.

This allows the Leafs to hold onto Liles, or at least means there isn't a gun to Nonis' head to move him in a bad trade to clear cap space (i.e. Colborne + Liles for 4th, etc.).

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Kulemin and Liles for nothing much in particular could be a huge win for the Leafs. That's $7M cap space minus whatever you have to take in return. Can you imagine what kind of player(s) the team would have cap space to add? It's a pipe dream. No team is taking both of those guys without sending back their bad contracts in return.

How about Liles and a mid round draft for Stajan? Gives the Leafs a little bit of short term insurance at center with a contract that expires at the end of the season. Stajan doesn't even have to be on the NHL roster. More importantly it gives the team almost $4M in cap space in the two following seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad