Is JM Liles Hurt? Why isn't he playing in the pre-season?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He's not hurt and my guess is Carlyle wants to see more of their younger Defensman to see if they are going to make it or not, because Liles looks be a lock starting the season.

Although during the game tonight it was mentioned that maybe Carlyle doesn't like Liles game that much and they speculated what if they were to send him down to play with the Marlies, because of what it would mean for the salary cap and etc.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
No, I'm not JM Liles. :sarcasm:

Probably making sure he doesn't get injured.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
he's clearly not in the team's plans, which makes it weirder that he wasn't bought out.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Anyone think we can package Colborne + Liles??

You couldn't get one of those shiny fiberglass sticks for that package. Post-concussion Liles has never been the same and Colborne's upside is a less-talented version of Christian Hanson.
3.9M cap hit the next 3 years for Liles, who in their right mind would take that for anything?

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
he's actually played really well in the last game. Liles is a class act all the way. He deserves a spot on this team (if he cant be traded). Doesnt deserve to be demoted imo

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
You couldn't get one of those shiny fiberglass sticks for that package. Post-concussion Liles has never been the same and Colborne's upside is a less-talented version of Christian Hanson.
3.9M cap hit the next 3 years for Liles, who in their right mind would take that for anything?

Leafs can retain up to 50% of his salary. Re-ask that question with him at $1.95M. The answer changes.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Leafs can retain up to 50% of his salary. Re-ask that question with him at $1.95M. The answer changes.

Bad on me, you're very right. Reilly and Gardiner make him expendable here but at 1.95, he's anything but bad, maybe he ends up in Calgary.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I was repeatedly told we could trade him and his salary easily and we're just using him as leverage to sign Franson for cheap before we trade him .

I wonder where those posters went . :amazed:

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
I would think that any player that is prime trade material would be showcased as much as possible in preseason....unless a deal is already agreed upon. Liles has looked pretty good in the two games he has played so far. Class act...hope everything works out for him.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
No, I'm not JM Liles. :sarcasm:

Probably making sure he doesn't get injured.

Was just coming here to make this joke but I see I am 2 hours late. Damn.

Hurt, you are just too amazing :bow:

To me the not playing in preseason indicates that he likely won't see much, if any playing time once the season starts. Otherwise I feel he would have been put in at least 1 game by now. If he isn't in any of the remaining 3 games I think it would be safe to say Liles won't be playing at all this season unless we run into injury problems or big slumps from multiple players.

His cap hit remains the same?

If we retain half of his salary, both teams would carry half of his cap hit. 1.95m on ours, 1.95m on yours.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
If he was going to be moved, it would be done already.

RC knows what he brings already, and since they don't plan to use him regularly, why risk him getting injured - just in case Nonis manages to miraculously move that contract, which I doubt happens until later in the season.

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
I think Leafs made a huge mistake buying out Komisarek (with 1 year remaining) and not Liles, probably thinking Liles had some trade value and could be turned into something. As it is, they may be stuck with JML's contract for a while...

BayStreetBullies*

I think Leafs made a huge mistake buying out Komisarek (with 1 year remaining) and not Liles, probably thinking Liles had some trade value and could be turned into something. As it is, they may be stuck with JML's contract for a while...

The Leafs can still buyout JML, and $791,667 of his 3.875 m would go against the cap for this season, a savings of $3,083,333. Although next season $2,291,667 of his 3.875 m would go against the cap, a savings of $1,583,333 (according to capgeek).

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
The Leafs can still buyout JML, and $791,667 of his 3.875 m would go against the cap for this season, a savings of $3,083,333. Although next season $2,291,667 of his 3.875 m would go against the cap, a savings of $1,583,333 (according to capgeek).

No they cant. There are only certain times a year a player can be bought out and those windows are closed until the end of the season.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I was repeatedly told we could trade him and his salary easily and we're just using him as leverage to sign Franson for cheap before we trade him .

I wonder where those posters went . :amazed:

My wife just had a kid. And the reality continues. Liles is an asset, and there is NO NEED to move him, and that should there BE A NEED to move him, he HAS VALUE and CAN BE MOVED and you DON'T have to have it be in a ridiculous Liles + Colborne + Kadri for future considerations package like you people are suggesting.

:facepalm: :shakehead

Even in the highly unlikely event that no trade partners were available, and Liles couldn't be moved, demoting him to the Marlies provides $925,000 in cap space which is enough to solve all cap issues. ALL CAP ISSUES. SOLVED.

FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Mason Raymond ($1.000m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Joe Colborne ($0.600m) / Colton Orr ($0.925m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Paul Ranger ($1.000m)
Morgan Rielly ($1.744m) / Mark Fraser ($1.275m)
Cody Franson ($2.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
OTHER
Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
Buried: John-Michael Liles ($2.950m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.778% of upper limit)
Matt Frattin ($0.437m—0.5%) Ben Scrivens ($0.062m—0.1%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,085,833; BONUSES: $1,150,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $364,167

That's assuming Carlyle decides he wants Rielly on the roster.

If you don't add Rielly, there's no need to even move Liles down.

The only presumption needed is that Franson is re-signed at the $2M/1YR bridge deal that is being speculated. If he holds out for more money, then the Leafs can just let him sit, promote Rielly, and keep Liles. Which again, solves all cap issues and ices a solid roster.

So all this nambly-pambly chicken little psychotic thread-making and proposals and complete stupidity can end. The situation is being handled by people with a proper read on the matter.

Thank you for coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad