Is Jim Benning the worst GM in franchise history?

Is Jim Elmer Benning the worst GM in franchise history?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
You need to do a better job of following the dialogue. Perhaps reread the exchange, and if it is still confusing, sleep on it for a few nights.

It’s all very convoluted for something that is presented as unobjectionable fact around here.

I wonder if it would be accepted with the same enthusiasm if it was positive spin.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It’s all very convoluted for something that is presented as unobjectionable fact around here.

I wonder if it would be accepted with the same enthusiasm if it was positive spin.

You are supposed to be sleeping on it if you still don't understand it, not continuing to waste my time.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Canucks Managerial Thread | 9

It was linked here. The article no longer exists but quotes from the article including direct quotes from Chiarelli are given.
Thanks for posting the article. (who is the author ?)....There's no question that JB had his fingers in the scouting dept (as is obvious from his knowledge of the players)....He wasn't the DOS of the Bruins, nor do we know if he had the executive decision to pick the players...So to hang the Bruins picks on him, is hearsay

"He serves as an advisor to General Manager Peter Chiarelli on all matters pertaining to player evaluation, trades and free agent signings, in addition to assisting the General Manager in overseeing all individuals in their specific duties for the Bruins."

If you want a clear record of his drafting ..look at his work with the Buffalo Sabres

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You can’t produce concrete evidence for something you pass off as fact.

What part of ‘credible media reports + a ton of circumstantial evidence indicates Benning didn’t want Pettersson’ don’t you understand?

No, there is no concrete evidence. And there never will be unless Benning for some reason admits it. But what happened should be pretty obvious based on the evidence + media confirmation.

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
What part of ‘credible media reports + a ton of circumstantial evidence indicates Benning didn’t want Pettersson’ don’t you understand?

No, there is no concrete evidence. And there never will be unless Benning for some reason admits it. But what happened should be pretty obvious based on the evidence + media confirmation.

Cool - can you post the media confirmation?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
In other words, no.

In other words, you’re a troll who has no interest in spending 30 seconds looking something up when told exactly where to look for it.

I’m not running around re-posting stuff that’s been linked and discussed at length multiple times every time a brand-new pro-Benning account asks for it. Find it yourself. It shouldn’t be that hard given that you’re familiar with arguments posters have made here a decade ago.

Reactions: vanuck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
In other words, you’re a troll who has no interest in spending 30 seconds looking something up when told exactly where to look for it.

I’m not running around re-posting stuff that’s been linked and discussed at length multiple times every time a brand-new pro-Benning account asks for it. Find it yourself. It shouldn’t be that hard given that you’re familiar with arguments posters have made here a decade ago.
If you're the one coming up with the 'dubious' claim...shouldnt the onus be on you to prove it?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If you're the one coming up with the 'dubious' claim...shouldnt the onus be on you to prove it?

I’ve made and documented this claim on many occasions. Everyone who posts here at least semi-regularly has seen it. I’m not doing it from scratch every time a super-suspicious brand new account asks for it. There’s a search function - look it up yourself, and if you disagree explain why.

Reactions: vanuck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I’ve made and documented this claim on many occasions. Everyone who posts here at least semi-regularly has seen it. I’m not doing it from scratch every time a super-suspicious brand new account asks for it. There’s a search function - look it up yourself, and if you disagree explain why.
Then make up a link for it..

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for posting the article. (who is the author ?)....There's no question that JB had his fingers in the scouting dept (as is obvious from his knowledge of the players)....He wasn't the DOS of the Bruins, nor do we know if he had the executive decision to pick the players...So to hang the Bruins picks on him, is hearsay

"He serves as an advisor to General Manager Peter Chiarelli on all matters pertaining to player evaluation, trades and free agent signings, in addition to assisting the General Manager in overseeing all individuals in their specific duties for the Bruins."

If you want a clear record of his drafting ..look at his work with the Buffalo Sabres

Benning isn’t DOS of the Canucks and that hasn’t stopped his supporters from crediting him fit pretty much every pick we’ve made under him.

Again, do the math. He was the head of their amateur scouting department. He was the right-hand man of a GM with no scouting experience or background. He was the guy in front of the media explaining the picks.

Those drafts in Boston were his drafts, every bit as much as the ones in Vancouver. And they suck, even worse than what Gillis was doing at the same time.

Reactions: Jyrki21 and vanuck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Benning isn’t DOS of the Canucks and that hasn’t stopped his supporters from crediting him fit pretty much every pick we’ve made under him.

Again, do the math. He was the head of their amateur scouting department. He was the right-hand man of a GM with no scouting experience or background. He was the guy in front of the media explaining the picks.

Those drafts in Boston were his drafts, every bit as much as the ones in Vancouver. And they suck, even worse than what Gillis was doing at the same time.
Speculation ... and your opinion.

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019

How difficult is it to post a link to a media report corroborating what you have said?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I ❤️ this thread title.

It’s a title that keeps on giving.

Every time I read it, it’s like someone is asking me this question like for the very first time.

And I’m like yes he is..... duh!!!!

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Just posting this to quote myself in April, 2020:

If the Canucks make the playoffs in the 2019-2020 season, this is not a good indicator of success for Benning. After five seasons of failing miserably and spending to the cap, it is expected that we will bounce back and be a playoff team at some point. Making the playoffs is irrelevant to the arguments advanced by Benning critics. It's about the process, asset management, and the rationale behind Benning's decisions that is the issue. To point to the results five years in the making and say "See I told you so, the haters have all been proven wrong!" is so shortsighted and misses the point entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad