Is Jarome Iginla's career over?

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
41 in July. Had a wonderful career but his time in the league is over, time for him to retire.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
What a sad way to end a Hall of Fame career. :(
Is it though?

He's still obviously healthy enough to want to play. Good for him for trying to get one more season in. It shows his love for the game. He has his health and he's set financially. I get the whole "leave on your own terms" and retire when it's time thing, but let's face it. 95% of the time that's just a cover for players not being 1st line talent anymore and their egos being unable to handle reduced roles.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
On the link is nhl.com's story from this February where Iginla tells about his conditioning and attempt to find a team to sign with prior 17-18 season trade deadline. Soon turning 41, not playing for a year, surgery last September and not finding a team to sign with this spring don't indicate he'd find one for the next season.

NHL.com: Iginla wants one more chance to win Stanley Cup

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
His career in the NHL is almost certainly over. If nobody signed him last year, not even at the deadline, no one is signing him this year. There’s not many examples of 40+ year old players sitting out an entire year, then coming back to play in the league.

Yeah, the only one that springs to mind is Gordie Howe. I can't think of anyone else that took a break at 40+ like this.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, the only one that springs to mind is Gordie Howe. I can't think of anyone else that took a break at 40+ like this.
Yup and even that was like 40+ years ago.

Tim Thomas took a year off and came back at 39. He played one more season and wasn’t as good as he had been before he took the hiatus, then he never played again. I remember him getting nuked in the world championships that Spring and that was it for him.

Reactions: Senor Catface

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Iggy is in tough if he wants to continue his NHL career. He’ll be 41 in a few weeks, he missed an entire NHL season, he’s slowing down while the game is only getting faster and he wants to play for a contender. Any team that will be interested in him will likely lack forward depth and probably won’t contend anyway.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
625 675 1300. He can only ruin that perfection by coming back and ending up with something like 627 679 1306.

Edit: Actually he can come back, play one game (but get no points) and end up with:

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Nice multiples of 5!

Reactions: BrickAHL

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
sometimes these older guys have new life after taking a year off. I do think that Iginla is unique in his physical prowess, so he could still find his game. At this point, I'd think it would have to be a PTO

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He was a very good player, so no offense, but his career was over like 3 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad