Is Jamie Benn underrated?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
He has looked off this year and everyone is thinking it's an injury. If I recall for the first month or so he didn't practice because something was limiting him to either practice or games, both was too much. With all our injuries we chose to keep playing him.

The team as a whole has started to look better and so has Benn over the last week or so. I hope he isn't hurt because he is notorious for playing it off like nothing then BAM surgery. As he did with his hip 2 years back and his abdomen this past summer

Thanks. That's about what I saw/thought of his play so far. Glad to hear he's turning it around.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He's rated where he needs to be. Possibly a little under simply because of dallas

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
Central has alot of great wingers. Benn is in my top 2. Here's how I would rank them at the moment

1) Kane
2) Benn
3) Tarasenko
4) Wheeler
5) Laine
6) Forsberg
7) Hossa
8) Landeskog

You're missing Panarin.

Also good are Parise, Niederreiter, Neal, Schwartz, Steen, Sharp.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
as silly as it sounds I think he would be talked about a lot more if he had gotten 3 more points two years ago

an 87 point Art Ross win just looks so weak

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If you think he is a top 3 winger in the NHL then he is not.

If you dont think he is top 3 then he is underrated

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He also plays nothing like Kopitar either. Draisatl plays more like Anze. Matthews reminds me more of a young Malkin, stylistically.

I'm not seeing the Malkin comparison at all. Malkin dictates the pace of the game. Matthews kind of "flows" with the pace of the game. That's why I compared him to Kopitar rather than Benn. Never said it was perfect.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
In NHL there are a number of things that are very importent.

1: Nationality (he obviously have the right nationality
2: Draft hype (he is 5th rounder, I think this is what is holding back the hype the most.)
3: Playing for a winning team. He has not yet won SC
4: Playing in a big market.
5: Playing good for Canada, and maybe USA, players from other countries, their preformance internationally do not matter.
6: ?

He is little bit underrated, he is a top 10 player (all positions) in the league I would say, even if he hasnt been that this year.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not seeing the Malkin comparison at all. Malkin dictates the pace of the game. Matthews kind of "flows" with the pace of the game. That's why I compared him to Kopitar rather than Benn. Never said it was perfect.

The strength down low. Chance generation. And Matthews is a possession monster. He dictates the game in the same way.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The strength down low. Chance generation. And Matthews is a possession monster. He dictates the game in the same way.

Kopitar is known for his strength down low more than Malkin. He generates a huge number of chances and is a possession monster. You keep describing Kopitar, and calling it Malkin. :laugh:

I think you're taking my comment about "dictating" vs "going with the flow" as an insult. There isn't one better or worse way. It's about playing to your strengths. If your strength is to "impose your will," then great. If your skill is "finding good opportunities/chances and capitalizing," then great.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
He's perfectly rated, he's elite at what he brings to a team, i dont think he has the highest skillset but his work ethic and puck protection and physical game makes him elite, i personnaly think he plays a type of game where these guys dont stay as good as when they are early prime vs a guy like game who will likely be elite till his late 30's if healthy. Personnal opinion.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
How do you determine skill? Benn has a better highlight reel than Seguin and is more multi dimensional than Ovechkin. Crosby also thinks he's Canada's best forward

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00